The Gary Elf

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

Hey so far it looks insanely radd, so congratulations on the excellent work so far keep it up. My only 2c is that have you considered maybe trying to make his armour look weatherworn etc etc. I don't think anything shows..... (the word im thinking of is on the tip of my tongue), like dented weapons blah blah, sort of gives the idea that he's been through a great deal and survived untold centuries and battles if you know what I mean.

Other than that insanely good work can't way to see the finish product.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D4 I4
Equip: Sword, Light Armour, blackpowder pistol, 4 bullets, 2GP.
Skills:
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi all,

@ bassman,
The thing with the reversed plates is that is still common and known by all other miniatures, that´s perhaps why most are irritated by this new type.

@ Cyberactivity,
yes there will be to castings, one for myself and one for Gary, no more no less.

@ Layne,
no new progress,
how said earlier I have to finish some conversions first with are deadline related. One I have already finished, on others I have to work for my entries for french golden demon competition. As soons as these are from my workbench I will have further progress on Gary.
Because of the base, he will stand on a stone similar to the eldar miniature. The current armature will be transformed into it.

@ lonely shade,
I use a darning needle for it. Important is to pull the hoes in different directions row by row beginning from the downside... something like this

4 <-<-<-<-<-
3 ->->->->->
2 <-<-<-<-<-
1 ->->->->->

the arrows mark the direction of pulling the holes. Make it more perfekt you have to do this in a more diagonal way, but for the beginning in a hoizontal way is enough. Be sure doing this in an leter cure phase and that your BS isn´t to thick because your holes need space.

@ izirath,
remember it´s only a rough preform.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Rominator
Corsair

Post by Rominator »

Amazing stuff, GeOrc, I'm currently just starting to experiment with gs, so to see your wip's is really great and inspirational.
Cheers!
Cyberactivity
Shade

Post by Cyberactivity »

Any more progress on this?
Druchiipagan
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Druchiipagan »

what kind of sources have you used when fist starting out on any model build like this one.I would like to try such things but not quite sure as how to go about doing such things.
ImageImage

The Fallen Shall Rise In A Sea Of Blood.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

So how am I coming along Georg?
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi DA,
I continued on the Armour, but wasn´t pleased with the result. There are still some things I didn´t like and don´t know how to solve them in the moment. For that I made some test on other miniatures where these work more or less. Most of them on the Khainite Champ which turns out great others on miniatures which went straight into the dustbin.
In the moment I am rethinking the whole armour thing and If I replace it completly because I haven´t a good feeling on it... an other option is to give it a second try but I don´t know in the moment. Hard decision. It´s very difficult to turn this degree of detail into this small measurement.

I can make some pics this weekend of the current status and send you, it would be interessting what you think. Before posting here more pics I will be sure that the decisions are made that the mini is on it´s right way.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

OK my friend. Thanks for letting me know.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ DA,
no prob,
sorry for no letting you know earlier. I often lay projects beside when parts become complicated and try to solve these problems on other miniatures in a smaller detail. A good example is my old Urial conversion which was laying here around for several months until I had the experience and skills trained from other miniatures to continue work on it. Same here. The detail degree on the armour is very high and with reducing it to the 32mm measurement I didn´t work for me as armour. That´s why I made some tests on the Khainite Champion, here the shoulder armour which consists also of different leyers. There was need for a lot of corrctions and sanding, looks ok now but not excellent and so still need a further correction. Even with having that this detail work I wasn´t able to create it with a single step or in two steps. Same problem I had on the Gary Elf in a much larger part. The result wasn´t ok after the sanding and the second layer and I thought for starting new on the armour. But first I made some tests to look there the problem is. I know now that this needs far more corrections and then there is a chance that this will work. How said, I send you the pics, but don´t be affright, the armour doesn´t look nice.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

So, being 2 months to the date of the last post, I got bold enough to ask if there is any updates here? :)
I don't want to be rude, just very interested in this project! :)

Best regards,
Rafa.
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

long time since we have seen any more pictures of your gary elf ^^
I really loved your themple of khaine conversions! Am I very mistaking if I guess you designed some new couldron of blood we haven't seen yet?
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Since this thread has seen little activity I am going to unsticky it. If GeOrc posts new progress, send me PM and I'll sticky it again.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Georg what's happening with this dude?