The Gary Elf

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Georc
Assassin

The Gary Elf

Post by Georc »

Let me start with a quote from Joe Woodland Animal:

Gary has been using Dark Elves for quite a long time. Back when the army list was an uncompetitive mess, Gary was there. Back when there were no models for half the characters, and the others came with equipment modelled on that you couldn’t use in the game, Gary was there. Back when Cold Ones were mis-shapen lumps and Witch Elves had bigger hair than a Kiss tribute band, Gary was there.

Yeah, I think we all know Dark Alliance here as one if not the most famous druchii amonst us. He´s always there, he helpt there us where he can, he invented new tactics and share them with us, He judges the ETC and is our voice and ear at Games Workshop.

Last thing he did especially for me was to help me enthusistically with my temple of Khaine army list, write it and does play testing. For me that´s outstanding.

I think it´s time to say: THANKS GARY

Time to put this guy into tin and create the a monument of him. Time for the first Gary miniature to show that commitment should be rewarded. A miniature only for him which he can play and always remember that ppl are out there who are thankful for his work and time he put´s in this hobby.

So now I need your help, ppl who will also say thx, ppl who know him, ppl who play with him and pll who can tell me what druchii suits him best.
The miniature should represent Gary and should be useful in his Games, so my proposal is to create a Dreadlord which looks like him. He shoul carry a standard Equipment Gary uses in his Armylists and should have characteristcs of his real look and represent his character as well. Because I don´t know Gary as good as I like I need you to collect enough reference material.

Tell me your personal Gary story, your experince and your ideas for creating this miniature.

I will collect your postings and feedback the next weeks and then I will start here the sculpturing as soon as enough reference material is collected.

Thanks for your help
Kind Regards GeOrc
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: The Gary Elf

Post by Calisson »

As a newbee's (see joining date - but frequent flyer, see post record), I cannot help you but I wholeheartfully concur.

DA's presence is everywhere, and everyday.
His battle record is impressive. Did I see recently that he was at his 90th game in the present edition? One game every 2 days during the last 6 month?
Not to forget his modelling and painting talent.

But above all, the time he spends here in D.net helping everyone is amazing.

I am glad you had this idea.
Especially from you. I don't know you but DA knows your modelling talent and places it higher than his own, which is beyond my imagination (at these levels, there is no more scales, just lifts).

EDIT:
Well, a general who is fighting one battle every other day without resting must show that on his armour.
Some insigns of glory, spread all over his uniform, must be aggressed by many foes. He may look a little bit tired but would keep his resolve intact.
He is so trustfully than even Malekith would trust him.

On a practical side, the model should be able to be handled many times a year without the paint to be torn away.

Hope it helps.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

You should give him a flaming sword that is name "Scathing Criticism". ;)
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

druchii77 I laughed for at least 5 minutes.

I say a model somehow involving a throne to show his presence and power at D.net. That and a megaphone or loud musical instrument of some sort to symbolize his representation of us in GW. Maybe the flaming sword partly hidden underneath the throne. ;)

- Lonely

EDIT: Almost forgot my sign-off! :shock:
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I personally imagine that someone like Langmann would be the Dreadlord around here. I would say that DA's role is more like a standard bearer or herald. To represent that, I suggest Blade, the BSB of Doom. BSB, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, Soulrender, Pendant of Khaeleth [alternately, three nulls and a great weapon]. Plus, this way you get to knock our socks off with some kind of magnificent banner freehand.

I also suggest this because I have noted that our boy has a penchant for the Sorceress on Dragon combo. So, if you want to want to model Gary, the Sorceress in Black Drag, good luck to you.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Cal,
I like the idea of a druchii armour which looks "used" and a bit damaged. Normaly this is something which would be added when painting but I will keep this in mind and will take a close look on my undead miniatures for damaged armour.

About the practical aspect. I see my job here more to create a Gary Elf, if it´s very filigree it´s on DA to use it carefully. For example if I deciede that Gary should have a small dragon on his shoulder than I wouldn´t pass on that detail only to make it more practical.

@ d77 & Lonley shade
It would be better to know what kind of sword. A name can´t be transfeed into a miniature and in the end it shouldn´t look catoonish the mini should look like it´s original made by GW and should represent a playable dark elf miniature.

@ Layne,
That helps me much, many thanks. Creating a BSB is a nice idea, but most lists I found from DA he uses the mounted.
Some note about mounts
Mounts like horses and Cold Ones are to complex and because of less experince this would take to long.
That´s why I would prefer a normal miniature on foot.
That´s also something I have the most experience.

A BSB would be an idea. The standard could be optional.

Many thanks so far.
Some more ideas, some ppl who know him personally and can add some character and look informations?

Regards GeOrc
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

If you would insist on creating an all-new, once in a lifetime horse for this purpose, then I understand why you would shy away from that. Perhaps you could use the steed from the collector's edition Dreadlord? Heh, or perhaps you could insist on creating an all new steed for this purpose, and perhaps this steed would be better than the laughing jackass in the DR blister, and perhaps it would be an all round capital plan to cast and mass produce that steed.

You know, for make benefit glorious nation Naggaroth.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

no steeds please ;)

also the miniature should be exclusively for Gary, I will not sell it and because of the direct link to the Games Workshop artworks and references it´s not possible to do any mass production of my sculpts. I´m not interested in trouble with Games Workshop. Sorry

Regards GeOrc
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

He should carry the revision document under his arm and have Gav Thorpe on a leash :lol:

Just kidding, but a nice big banner with druchii.net on it would be fitting!
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

I think we need a compromise here: Gary Elf would look great with a banner but is ultimately a leader. Brilliant player and tactician. So what we're looking at is a Dreadlord.

Dreadlord
-on a Dark Steed to better reach the next battle that is always on the horizon. I think that DA also values Dark Steeds more than the other mount options in the book
-with or without a helmet (let's just say that I wouldn't go to battle without one) he should have a relentless expression and probably be shouting orders for his army
-SDC to represent the wealthiness provided by all those victories
-the idea of battered armour is great!
-some sort of "basic weapon"; sword, mace or axe instead of lance of halberd because he can handle most situations and so needs a versatile weapon. Jack-of-all-trades like Dark Elves themselves
-a banner strapped on his back to declare all the victories of the past and to make it clear who is leading the Druchii force and that he is not afraid to give away his whereabouts on the field of battle!

Just my thoughts. Opinions based on reading tens of his battle reports from different sites :)
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Don´t forget, no cartoony miniature, I wanna create a real dark elf.

Ok some short summary after the first day:

Basics

no steed, please you don´t know the amount of work which is needed for a goud mount. I need 3 or more weeks for a full detailed sculpt in professional quality. A mount would double that or more.

no BSB,
a BSB is a hero, the talk of DA here. He´s a Dreadlord if not more. Also a BSB is there for the moral of his troops. Looking at DAs activities

- tactics (armylists and tactics board)
- politics (discussions with GW, The revision)
- leadership (his moderator activities)

This is the job of a dreadlord, a Vaulkar or house leader.

Equipment:

- on foot: heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, Soulrender, Pendant of Khaeleth
- on foot: three nulls and a great weapon

Character

- relentless expression
- shouting orders for his army

Need still more informations here, especially from ppl wh know him in real life.

Look

Same here. Does everywhere exist a pic of him in a battlereport or from a tournament?

Thanks all for helping here
Kind Regards GeOrc
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

DA is on the right.

You can find further horrifying...ahem...delightful images here.

;)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

If we are thinking of how to model him, I think it would look cool to have him standing on skulls like the skulls of his foes.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

GeOrc: are you going to paint the model for him too? Your painting skillz are amazing! That'd be the best present ever
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

druchii77 wrote:If we are thinking of how to model him, I think it would look cool to have him standing on skulls like the skulls of his foes.

Maybe not skulls of his foes... Maybe stepping on the body of a dead high elf? That would be druchii thing to do.
Lextalionis
Shade
WS:5 S:2 T:4 D:5 I:3
Basic Stealth. Stealth. Precision Shot. Rapid Fire. Acrobatics
Equipped; Short Sword, 2xDagger, Repeater Crossbow, Repeater Crossbow Pistol, Shade Cloak

225 G
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Have him ripping down an Asur flag and posting a Druchii.net one ;)
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Or, as langmann says, standing on the doors of GW like Moses before the Pharaoh, and saying " Let My People Go ".
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

You know, for make benefit glorious nation Naggaroth.

I laughed SO hard!

Ummm, I like the above idea. And I think a banner should somehow be incorporated, just because your freehand is so good GeOrc! I like the HA, SDC, pendant, soulrender idea. But really, I think we need to see some concept sketches!

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

If you're making an elf to represent a human, do not give it facial hair! Or it is not an elf ;)
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Layne wrote:Or, as langmann says, standing on the doors of GW like Moses before the Pharaoh, and saying " Let My People Go ".

This sounds like the best idea IMO.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Just a couple more things to note before I leave you to your ponderings :

Since DA has recently been doing awful things to the deplyoment rules for Death Hags, and is clearly, in the given picture, as smashed as an emo's self esteem, I feel that Gary the Dark Elf ought to be holding a cup of witchbrew.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Definitely holding a cup. now what's in it lets leave to everyone's imagination ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Keledron
Malekith's Personal Guard
Location: Locked in a bunker with only a HE player for company

Post by Keledron »

GeOrc,

fantastic idea DA'll be extremely excited by the prospect of you immortalising him in metal, he's hyper enough about meeting you in person at the ETC as it is.

A few things I know about DA and his gaming from the last eight years or so that I've known him which might help you out making your modelling choices.

He likes a bottle of Sol or 3 so the chalice idea would be fitting for him.
I'd equip him with a thick cloak to represent his trusty jumper he hates the cold.
Finally a big sword the best trophy he's ever won was a massive slayer sword would be my choice of weapon for him
He like to mock his opponents in a friendlty manner whenever they fail to engage in combat his style is a relentless assault (no disco dancing army lists for DA) so armour should be heavy but shields are definately for girls in the DA style of play why waste time worrying about getting hit when you can wield a bigger weapon with two hands and hit the other chap a lot harder. :oops:

As for a base a popstar pose with swooning fans at his feet would be very funny or him striding through the GW gaming hall surrounded by the aura of his mighty reputation ;)

If your thinking of making up some rules for him here's a few ideas

Pofile wise he'd have an ordinary Dreadlord profile DA is just an ordinary mortal type fellow like most of use with a bit of a beer belly! (Sorry) he's not superelven or endowed with incredible strength. He does make a mean steak and kidney pie though!

He has a near psychotic fear of 20mm yellow and black spot dice :P and a deficit special rule would be that when faced by an opponent using yellow/black large dice he automatically looses any die roll-off situation. This is so bad he's threatend to melt my dice down on more than one occassion if I ever use them in a friendly game.

DA both loves magic in the game but is almost parnoid about magical defence so tends toward a defencive strategy strong enough to stop anything known or otherwise, most druchii go for flesh hooks for decoration for DA I'd give him a ridiulous number of Null Talismans attached to him and every piece of his equipment just in case a spell gets cast at him or something near him after all you never know what the sneaky wizards have dreamed up.

Finally his long time service as a tournament referee he could be refelcted by his ability to swing the battle in his favour by being able to send off any one of his opponents characters with a well timed red card if they fail to accept a challenge - non acceptance of challenges is another girly gaming trait DA hates and would be a suitably druchii ability.

just some thoughts Kel
Life is short, death last for ever like a journey on British public transport!
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Rork & Keledron

many thanks for the last missing informations. I think with it I have enough references to start. In the moment I have to finish my current sculpting project first, but I think I can start the Gary Elf in the next week.

Many thanks to all who help, I keep you updated.

Kind Regards GeOrc
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

double posting
Last edited by Georc on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.