Syph's Druchii... 2009-2015+

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Syph's Druchii... 2009-2015+

Post by Syph »

Hello Druchii.net! I've been a long time on-off browser since around 2004 when I picked up my first Dark Elves. Came back into the hobby last August with my Space Marines, but my Dark Elves have took prominence again and I've gotten into Fantasy.

Anyway, without further ado here's what I've got to date:

Complete
Primed/started
Assembled
Boxed

Lords/Heroes
Dreadlord on Foot
Lokhir Fellheart
Malus Darkblade
Sorceress on Foot
Sorceress on Flying Cold One

Core
Corsairs
C M S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Warriors

RXBs
C M 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Dark Riders
C M 1 2 3

Assassin Hurien Lifetaker

Assassin

Special

Cold One Knights
C M S 1 2

C M S 1 2

Cold One Chariot

Shades
C 1 2 3 4 5

Black Guard
C M S 1 2

Rare

Hydra and Beastmasters

Bolt Thrower and Crew

Bolt Thrower and Crew

Some pics of my most recent stuff. I'll update with some, er, backdated models as I come to paint them. More stuff, for the impatient (!) here: Syph's Dark Elves (Heresy-Online)

These were started years back and only finished recently! The Assassin is obviously an old model, but painted last month, as was the Dreadlord.

A WIP of some recovered Dark Riders I received as part of a trade for AoBR Orks:

... And finally a start on my Cold One Knights:

C&C welcome!

Syph.
Last edited by Syph on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Butifully done :)

As for some constructive critisism, id say that the champion of the warrior unit should have a purple drake on his shield as the rest of the unit. i totally understand it was done to make him stand out, but i think that maybe some additional marks hand painted on the shield would make the job just as well, and i would like to see the butifully hand painted drake on the standard reflected on all shields. maybe some simple runes around it will make him stand out from the unit :)

keep us posted with new nice pic please :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, Syph, and Welcome in D.net.
5 years browsing before posting, how patient!
We have 14310 registered users
The newest registered user is Syph
I like a lot your colour-coded painting log. A warm compliment for the quality of your post.:D
One colour is missing: considered buying.

If I may comment about the army list, before commenting the models. I took the liberty to post comments below just because you spend obviously a lot of time to paint your army carefully, so the best is to paint models that are going to be useful.

Sorceress on Flying Cold One :shock: : could you post a picture in the present state? Intriguing.
I suppose she will be played as sorc on DP?
If this is the case, then you did find a great way to use the inept but beautiful sorc on CO. :idea:

corsairs' Standard bearer: I suggest you painted it as a Sea Serpent Standard.

RXBs: Champion is hardly ever taken (but the model could "count as rank & file"). Shields? (not mandatory but usually preferred).

DR: champ really not useful.
As you have no harpie, you'll probably need lots more DR (or harpies).

COK: I suggest only 1 set of CMS, plus eventually a second muso. Small units are well off with no command at all (or possibly a muso). And it will allow you the option to put Malus in a bigger unit of more than 7 COK if you wish.

BG are in too little numbers to justify CMS. I imagine you plan to increase later the size to 10-15?

Suggestions for coherence with other lines:
Hydra and Beastmasters => or Hydra 1 2, or B1 B2
Bolt Thrower and Crew => or Bolt Thrower 1 2, or C1 C2

Now comments about your impressive painting.
It seems laser-neat. The kind of top quality to be admired. :P

The colour scheme:
Dark skin, drow-style, with exquisite shading on the flesh. Compliments. :P
Clothes. Very classic purple. Is it bronze-rehearsed?
I like the gold serpent for the champion warrior.
Excellent banner.

The CO is beautiful. Perfect. :shock:
Or,... possibly the eye could be more visible. And obviously the saddle and metal is not finished.

If I may, you have very dark shields & banner, :? they may benefit from a line underlining their shape. That would bring a touch of originality that your fine artwork deserves more.

Overall I have a big grief against your painting: :evil:
you raise the challenge too high for me to ever dare posting anything on D.net. ;)

You're obviously a worthy competitor to the painting challenge.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rominator
Corsair

Post by Rominator »

Very nice stuff! I especially like the armour, which isn't something I've seen before. Great to see some classic DR's too! (I love the conversions people are doing with GR's, but these guys just look rad imo)
Cheers!
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

Lord Tsunami wrote:Butifully done :)

As for some constructive critisism, id say that the champion of the warrior unit should have a purple drake on his shield as the rest of the unit. i totally understand it was done to make him stand out, but i think that maybe some additional marks hand painted on the shield would make the job just as well, and i would like to see the butifully hand painted drake on the standard reflected on all shields. maybe some simple runes around it will make him stand out from the unit :)

keep us posted with new nice pic please :)

My initial plan was to paint his shield with a purple dragon and then to paint white or gold runes around it. The gold was a bit 'spur of the moment', but I like it. My Dreadlord has a gold rune on it, but the shield is purple. Maybe I should try that instead?

Calisson wrote:I like a lot your colour-coded painting log. A warm compliment for the quality of your post.:D
One colour is missing: considered buying.

I will do in future - I have a good idea of what I'll be picking up next.

Calisson wrote:If I may comment about the army list, before commenting the models. I took the liberty to post comments below just because you spend obviously a lot of time to paint your army carefully, so the best is to paint models that are going to be useful.

Sorceress on Flying Cold One :shock: : could you post a picture in the present state? Intriguing.
I suppose she will be played as sorc on DP?
If this is the case, then you did find a great way to use the inept but beautiful sorc on CO. :idea:

Keep em peeled, I'll post her up soon. She's a WIP at present, but just have the GS work to do. She will indeed be a Sorc on DP - in my background fluff she's the wife of the ruling Dreadlord, who is similar in power to a Vaulkhar or maybe even a Drachau. He's on a dragon - or will be when I buy him!

Calisson wrote:corsairs' Standard bearer: I suggest you painted it as a Sea Serpent Standard.

Good suggestion - that would match my fluff too! :)

Calisson wrote:RXBs: Champion is hardly ever taken (but the model could "count as rank & file"). Shields? (not mandatory but usually preferred).

They have shields yeah; the same dragon shields as the warriors. Depending on the game, I'll either use the champ or count-as as you've suggested.

Calisson wrote:DR: champ really not useful.
As you have no harpie, you'll probably need lots more DR (or harpies).

Harpies are on the to buy list - going to see if I can proxy them with something else or wait and see if any plastic ones are released (same with DRs)

Calisson wrote:COK: I suggest only 1 set of CMS, plus eventually a second muso. Small units are well off with no command at all (or possibly a muso). And it will allow you the option to put Malus in a bigger unit of more than 7 COK if you wish.

I'll look into that; it may be that I make it up with full command and buy a box to have just regular COKs to top up either unit.

Calisson wrote:BG are in too little numbers to justify CMS. I imagine you plan to increase later the size to 10-15?

At least 18 I think.

Calisson wrote:Suggestions for coherence with other lines:
Hydra and Beastmasters => or Hydra 1 2, or B1 B2
Bolt Thrower and Crew => or Bolt Thrower 1 2, or C1 C2

I'll keep it as is at the moment, but thanks for the idea.

Calisson wrote:Now comments about your impressive painting.
It seems laser-neat. The kind of top quality to be admired. :P

The colour scheme:
Dark skin, drow-style, with exquisite shading on the flesh. Compliments. :P
Clothes. Very classic purple. Is it bronze-rehearsed?
I like the gold serpent for the champion warrior.
Excellent banner.

The CO is beautiful. Perfect. :shock:
Or,... possibly the eye could be more visible. And obviously the saddle and metal is not finished.

If I may, you have very dark shields & banner, :? they may benefit from a line underlining their shape. That would bring a touch of originality that your fine artwork deserves more.

Overall I have a big grief against your painting: :evil:
you raise the challenge too high for me to ever dare posting anything on D.net. ;)

You're obviously a worthy competitor to the painting challenge.

Thanks for the lovely comments Calisson - you're making me feel very welcome! I've entered this lot in a competition over at Heresy-Online.net - currently joint second with some WoC and behind some impressive BfSP Gobbos!

Cold One's saddle and metal work not quite finished, as you say. I'm also looking to add a bit more detail to the spikes on the back and make the red on the eyes a little lighter too.

I'm also looking to touch up the banner a little and do some light grey highlights on the black, maybe even jade actually if it doesn't clash too much. A coat of gloss too on the purple armour to really add to the lacquered feel I've gone for. What does 'brass rehearsed' mean?

Rominator Thanks also chap.

Updates to come once I've resized my images for this forum.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Overall, looking very good! You have handled the skin tones very well. Faces look good and the eyes look great, which takes some skill and patience.

My overall criticism is that you should probably bring up the highlighting a level or two. The models look pretty dark and don't have quite enough contrast.

Also, I would add a second layer of white paint to the banner rune -- you don't have quite enough coverage and the black is showing through.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:Overall, looking very good! You have handled the skin tones very well. Faces look good and the eyes look great, which takes some skill and patience.

My overall criticism is that you should probably bring up the highlighting a level or two. The models look pretty dark and don't have quite enough contrast.

Also, I would add a second layer of white paint to the banner rune -- you don't have quite enough coverage and the black is showing through.

Highlighting on the black is a definite, as is touching up the banner.

For those interested, here's a quick shot I took a while back of the flying cold one and sorceress (counts as DP):

T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

Absolutely adore the colour scheme mate, not a fan of blue flesh on elves myself but it looks amazing contrasted with the purple of the armour. I'm keen to see what you do with your Hydra, very keen.

All in all keep it up mate looking good.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D4 I4
Equip: Sword, Light Armour, blackpowder pistol, 4 bullets, 2GP.
Skills:
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

Thanks T'Keela. It's the old Hydra unfortunately, but I will eventually pick up the gorgeous new one.
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

My Dark Elves need your help in a competition over at Heresy Online.net. You'd have to sign up to vote, and of course if you prefer any other entries that's fine... But submissions 9 needs your help :)

Link: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/sho ... hp?t=32785

Thanks.
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

My painting has slipped since the competition, despite them sat on the dining room table (much to my fiancee's disgust! :P)

However, I finished 2nd, winning £25 to spend at Discount Wargames. I've wanted a Dragon since I first started the hobby (in fact, it's what first piqued my interest!) but for many reasons never got one. Well...

Scraped off the gems and High Elf-esque markings.

Added some chains instead of the cloth reins. Makes it a little less *****! Had to use the massive spines, so much more Druchii. I think I'll paint these black, with dark purple highlights and then a coat of gloss. I didn't want the back of the saddle - nor would it fit with the Sea Dragon Cloak I needed to somehow fit...

Now for the rider:

A combination of:

High Elf Dragonlord legs (how could I not use those cool scale mail legs?) scraping off the gems.
A Corsair body, with the fanciest front armour section in the box. I used to candle to bend the cloak to fit over the saddle and over the dragon's back. Had to to a bit of snipping and trimming.
The Dragonlord's arms, though I'm not sure whether to go with a lance or sword. I may well put a Cold One Knight lance next to him. The sword is WIP.
Old Cold One Knight Dreadknight shield.
Avatars of War Dark Elf Lord alternate head. Does he need some hair from the back?

Thoughts everyone?

As I said, sword is WIP (well, the rider is full stop), have some Dark Elf head adornments from the Cold One Knight box to bend to fit the rear leg armour of the dragon. Base needs finishing too obviously.

The Dragon kit is the single best plastic kit I've had the pleasure of assembling; what a shame half a sprue is wasted (until I get my hands on my High Elves...)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Very nice! I was wondering where the head was from until I got to the description at the end. I think it's fine -- no need for hair flowing out the back.

My only issue is with the shield. The ribs on that shield make it hard to do anything really interesting on the face of it. I would have used one from the new cold-one knight sprue.
Last edited by Dyvim tvar on Mon May 18, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

It's only tacked on, and in all honesty, it would be much easier to use than that shield! I'll try that later, one with a dragon on of course...
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

I really like it so far, but my big problem with he dragon conversions to dark elf ones is that they still look rather Asur-y. Think of the new metal hydra kit as it exemplifies the Druchii opinion on war beasts - they are tools for destruction, don't deserve compassion, and should even be abused and starved to make them more fierce o nthe battle field. Also, I think the Druchii dreadlord would decorate his black dragon differently, perhaps with the heads of his victims or the skin of his servants from that skinning festval (look it up in fluff section of 6th ed. codex). As far as I know you haven.t painted it yet, so please take the time to make it even more Druchii. Best of luck to you, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

- Lonely

EDIT: Forgot, I suggest scraping off those runes on the sword and perhaps doing something else to it, looks too Asur for my tastes.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I actually like the runes on that sword since they are very serpentine in shape.
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

Not really had much progress on this as I've been reading what people on here and another forum I go on had to say about it.

With regards the sword, it may not actually stay as I'm trying a lance out to see how that looks as I'm likely to equip the Lord with one in game. I would leave the runs for reasons Dyvim Tvar said, although I'd scrape the smaller gems off the pommel.

The dragon is also still WIP. I agree Lonely Shade that a lot of conversions still look very much like Asur dragons - particularly when people don't change the armour on the legs or use the armoured head with the cloth reins.

I've tried to Druchii it up by shaving off the gems, which I can replace with some of the head adornments from the CoK box, and I'm trying to get some of the spikes from the Dark Eldar to put on the leg armour too.

In addition, I'm hoping to get some hooks and skulls dangling from various parts and maybe some flailing flesh hooks from the wings. The chains are just a start.
Johan chill
Executioner

Post by Johan chill »

Very nice, clean paint job, and the Dragon looks great with the chains. Why not use a lance from the old Cold One Knights, seeing as you have the models? More Druchii like, in my opinion.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really a beautiful and original colour schema..
the dragon is a really good conversion...

hope to see it painted
Death before dishonor
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Very well done mate! I like the dragon, hope to see ti painted soon too althought those tips of making it more Druchii would be awesome!!

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Nirous
Warrior

Post by Nirous »

How do you paint the skin on the elves?
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

As you didn't said a name, I'll just say how I do them: basecoat dwarf flesh, wash thinned flesh wash (ou of production) retouch up dwarf flesh and then work up to elf flesh ;) .
I must admit, normally I don't like blue skinned elves, but you've done it well, I like it! The flying cold one is a good idea too, I might 'steal' it :twisted: .
As I needed to go away yesterday fast, I'll give you some hints whoch I couldn't post yesterday:
-the cold one: it's nicely done, but I think you could highlight the scales a bit more.
-the dark riders: good to see someone use the old models! About the freehands, they are nice, but I'd make them thinner... it's more druchii-like.
-the warriors kick ass, no critics about them.

Hope to see more soon and I hope my tips were a bit usefull,

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Syph »

Flesh colour:

Start with a blue like Ultramarines blue and add a bit of grey. The idea being to take some of the blueness (!) away from the tone.

Next, I mix in a lighter sky blue into that mix, and just keep lightening it up, leaving the recesses darker where necessary. I highlight with white with a hint of sky blue.

Finally, I use a very thin Asurmen blue wash to tie the layers, and sometimes I do another white highlight following this. I just ensure that the paint is nice and thin.

Farodin:

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you like the Warriors! In terms of the Cold One, that's still a WIP. I'll be doing the larger scales along the flanks in the same bone as a the spines, teeth and claws, and of course you're right, it needs more green highlighting.

The Dark Riders are also WIP, but I'm going to leave the markings as they are. They started off thinner but seemed lost on the legs. I did want to do a whole back end tattoo, and still may, be we'll see. I'm keen not to do too much to these because if they eventually release plastic Dark Riders (which I hear is on the cards...) then I don't want to have invested so much time in them to dump them in favour of new model.

My mate kindly donated 10 Dark Eldar Warriors, complete with the awesome ponytailed heads, plumes/hair and mucho spikes... I'm hoping to finish my Dragon later with these details! :)
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Mate, this is fanatastic looking army!
The color scheme is spot on and your conversions are unique, really well done and I can't wait to see them painted.
I'll be keeping a close eye on this one!
Great Job!!!
H :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Syph
Trainee Warrior

Re: Syph's Druchii... 2009-2015+

Post by Syph »

Syph wrote:
Complete
Primed/started
Assembled
Boxed

Lords/Heroes
Dreadlord on Foot
Lokhir Fellheart
Malus Darkblade
Dreadlord on Dragon NEW
BSB on Cold One (acts as horse!) NEW
Sorceress on Foot
Sorceress on "Flying" Cold One - pegasus? -- do I do or not?!

Corsairs

Warriors
C M S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 - thought I had 20 of these?!

Dark Riders
C M 1 2 3

Assassin Hurien Lifetaker
Assassin
Assassin NEW

Cold One Knights
C M S 1 2

C M S 1 2 NEW

Cold One Chariot

Shades
C 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Black Guard
C M S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEW

Hydra and Beastmasters

Bolt Thrower and Crew

Bolt Thrower and Crew

For a variety of reasons, I've got back into a hobby that marriage, another child, work etc "stopped" me from doing. I've amended the above list and come presenting an AoS and modelling question:

Lance of Spite or Exile Blade for the Dreadlord on Dragon?!

My "newest" stuff:

The Sorceress was initially designed to have wings (counts as S on DP) but I'm not sure that's necessary now AoS makes COs not stupid. It would also mean it would become Morathi for purpose of the game. I've made a little conversion of my second Dreadknight - added a SDC made from greenstuff and used one of my favourite heads from the olldddd Dark Eldar. Malus now has an SDC - it was missing along with his Warpsword in a trade I made. I've adapted Spite's head to fit and greenstuff'd it on. Finally, a BSB on Cold One (which thinks it's a horse, for the rules). Loooove that old Dreadknight.