[PLOG] Dumbledore's Army

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

That cant possibly be freehand... can it? That looks insanely good. Ever considered Golden Demon? Haha
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

I've made some progress on the rider. The bulk of the work is done, with only the face, hair, arms and shoulder-details left to do, along with tidying of the cloth and painting some trims.

I included the Dreadlord as I sprayed him with purity seal. The matt ("satin") surface has made only a marginal difference to photos but a HUGE improvement in person as there aren't those crazy reflections everywhere from the thick glossy varnish. The blending on the armour is now much more noticeable, especially at a distance. He will look much more badass when crushing enemies on the field thanks to purity spray.
Durloth
Highborn

Post by Durloth »

The banner is freaking amazing!

What I think could do with a bit of a tidying up, is where you can see traces of the darker wash outside the recess that are supposed to be shaded.
...Some are born to sweet delight
Some are born to endless night...

My Dark Elf army: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=785039#785039

My general WFB plog: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190654
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

It's coming along nicely. I might do some runes on the new freehand side. I'm not a big fan of runes, though.

My local store is doing a NMM competition next month so after this I may try my hand at SENMM on Sigvald, plonking him on a 20mm base. [url="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112569&page=29"]GeOrc's Sigvald[/url] is of course the inspiration - I will have to fight myself not to simply try and rip his masterpiece off. I really need to get stuck into the models and paint more than one model at a time (the other 4 COK, the 14 BG, the RXBmen...). Anyway, this standard bearer is not far off being finished.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

the freehand is really cool..good work mate
Death before dishonor
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

Wow that is an awesome banner, I gotta say I'm inspired to try my "free" hand at something like that...
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

:shock:

Dumbledore, I hate you. My best freehand will never even approach your first attempt! :x

;) Just kidding. Seriously, it looks magnificent. You have given me a goal to work toward that I never expect to actually achieve. 8)
Swedenpack
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Swedenpack »

may I suggest using lances from 5th ed knights if u are gonna keep using the black guards mounted. they got the same flame pattern on the lances as they do on the shoulder guard of the black guard... I did a try out many years ago:

old image still learning to paint =P
Marriage is the only war where you sleep with the enemy.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Fantastic job on the freehand of that banner.

Why do you not undercoat your base... I noticed that you have painted most of the mini - but the base has not been undercoated.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

@cultofkhaine - I would have primed it if I had thought! I wish I had now. I primed the cold one and rider and arms etc separately, then constructed the base and stuck it down with some help of GS (didn't feel like pinning, in the future I think I will pin instead). I am a big fan of your "Brides of Burning Blood". Did they require much greenstuff work? It probably says on your blog, but I haven't had time to read in depth. Also, what arms do they have, corsair ones fully or only up to the gloves?

@SwedenPack - I have some of the knights from that era! I was about 10 and destroyed some of those and old witch elves with undiluted goblin green and blood red. That conversion is very nice, particularly the musician, although I still plan to use the current COK lances.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hi Dumbledore, Thanks for the compliment on the Brides - I didn't use any greenstuff, just the plastics. The arms were from the Corsaris but cut just after the glove section and then hollowed out to fit arround the arm section of the daemonette's - there was plenty of sculpting back of the plastics to get it all to fit. You have a nice thread going here with some great work - keep it up :-)
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

He's done! I might paint Sigvald as a dark elf on foot next, trying out SENMM, or I might paint a couple of bolt throwers. After that I'll do the other four COK.

Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Awsome sir. That is a fantastic freehand especially if it's your first one! Also the icon at the top in blue looks great. it ties in your CO's coulour to the model. Overall fantastic can't say anything more
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

realli realli good! love the banners. u got my vote in the painting comp for your general!!!! :D
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

I really wanted to paint Sigvald, I really wanted to try NMM and one of my favourite models ever is GeOrc's Sigvald. Here is my first trials of SENMM on Sigvald. I may use this model if I ever get a pegasus or dragon rider (he is on a 20mm base) because I have a conversion for a DE rider in mind which uses the Sigvald torso. Here we go:

The shine is because of using asurmen blue as a glaze. Only the armour on the torso is complete. Enjoy!

PS I promise to do some actual troops soon
Kubix
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kubix »

what colour do you used to cold one bottom ? I'm asking because i dont know what colour to use ;/
"Thus will the Dark King fall, slain by neither blade nor arrow but by a sorcerous power of darkest magic

and so shall his body be consumed in the flames and for all eternity burn."
Ee
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ee »

I can't wait to see what the rest of your banners, and army for that matter, will look like. Keep up the good work!
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Kubix wrote:what colour do you used to cold one bottom ? I'm asking because i dont know what colour to use ;/

The cold one skin is bleached bone, blended from near black at the edges (and hands and feet) to pure bleached bone at the belly. The belly parts have a tiny bit of warlock purple mixed in to be slightly more pink and "fleshy", while the darker bits have some bestial brown in them to look more leathery (as well as black to be darker, obviously).

I had a simpler, less effective (but far quicker) method for my skinks and saurus in my LM army (see first post), using desert yellow with bleached bone highlights.
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

wow love the new model pic! realli nice armour!
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Darthvegeta800
Corsair

Post by Darthvegeta800 »

That's great especially the cold ones OO;;
I dread the moment i'll have to do my first Cold Ones.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Cold ones aren't toooo bad to do. The sculpt is very detailed but does a lot of the work for you.

Here is more sigvald, the armour, cloth and blade are done:

The blotchy white marks are just reflections from where I used varnish.
Darthvegeta800
Corsair

Post by Darthvegeta800 »

Love the banner btw!
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

That sword is lovely.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

I finished the skin and many small details. I also knocked him over, breaking all three pins (!!?) and scratching a fair bit of paint here and there. I rebuilt him and repaired the paint. Finally, I got started on the shield-reflection-SENMM-freehand. The general idea is down there. You may think it looks a bit Bretonnia/High Elfy in its bright colour, but fear not. Tomorrow I will paint the gold NMM on the details around the shield and all the (red) gems and then glaze the freehand - this will make it look more appropriate (the colours will be adjusted so that is more evil and matches the gold and gems, clouds will get darker and become storm clouds, I'll probably get rid of the woods, I might add lightning).

Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

This is a PHOTOSHOPPED sketch of what I'll aim for tomorrow: