[PLOG] Dumbledore's Army

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

The SENMM looks a bit wobbly, that is, inconsistent, on the muscled cuirass, but that's a pretty sweet first attempt. You did a little better on the shield than GeOrc on his first shot at it, so kudos for you there - by which I mean I think you got the sky/earth line in the right place, where as his was a bit off [but he beats you for blending. Not to worry, he does that.]. I also feel you've made it hard for yourself, putting that comet and lightning on the shield. Now this model will never be finished until all the left facing surfaces have lightning reflections, ad the right facing surfaces have comet reflections.

Good luck to you.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Yeah the cuirass got chipped early on, making bits uneven :(

He's done:

Ulric darksoul
Assassin

Post by Ulric darksoul »

loved the painting job.
"If you're going to leave anyone alive, enslave it!"

RP: Group 27
Ulric Darksoul
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:5 I:3
Equipment:
- Short sword, dagger, bastard sword 5 throwing stars and Ritual Dagger.
- Sea Dragon Cloak (dark green with dark blue scales)
- 1 healing balm (H) 4 healing balms
120g+12g

Skills: Controlled frenzy, two-weapons fighting
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

And that is the one true Goldsword, you bleggin whingers.

Shield needs work, I think. Ensmoothen the blending on the face a bit, and insert a deeper shade on the gold spikes, and that will just about do it.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

beautiful gold mate, a really beautiful one
Death before dishonor
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Layne wrote:And that is the one true Goldsword, you bleggin whingers.

Shield needs work, I think. Ensmoothen the blending on the face a bit, and insert a deeper shade on the gold spikes, and that will just about do it.

Your feedback has been very helpful. Good strong (constructive) criticism. I agree on the blue and the spikes. That damn comet has left a darker mark on the shield blending - I'll try to fix it. The spikes are an odd one - varnishing them seems to have changed how they look. Again, I'll attend to that.
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Hi Dumbledore, I like what you did with the gold and the red of his cape a lot (please, share the colors you used with us ;)). Like Layne already said, the shields blending seems a bit "sloppy" and can use a bit more contrast. The blending on his upper leg on the other hand is quite good. Thou the colors you used for the blue arn't really my personal choice. Again, good job, and keep 'm comming.
Cheers, MDK
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

I've re-blended the shield. It was sloppy last time cause of the comet underneath.

Gold is a blend of black/ scorched brown -> bestial brown -> white/sunburst yellow, followed by some bestial brown and/or sunburst yellow glazes to adjust.

Red is the red foundation paint covered with black/scab red -> scab red -> blood red -> blazing orange -> blood red/bleached bone. I'm trying to find an easier/better way to do red.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Hi, I'm a harpy, nice to meet you:

My brethren, all currently unassembled, have Khorne markings all over them - should these be shaved off? Or is the symbol of Khorne also a symbol of Khaine and therefore appropriate for creatures which are supposedly "manifestations of Khaine" (armybook bestiary)? Don't worry, I'm based on a 20mm square and I might have some of the more Tyranid aspects of my wings smoothed over with green stuff as well as any mold lines removed and gaps sealed. Cool. Oh, and my back foot might look a bit awkward, but it looks sweet in real life

In the background you can see the BG front rank which are currently about 1/4 done. I've had loaaads of work this week as well as family friends visiting London, needing taking out for dinner etc.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

It's been a long, long week with little free time. The 1000point list is ready, with only one model not yet arrived. This guy will be a spotter in the second rxb unit, replacing the musician. I'm currently converting the last three COKnights right now.

I'm really happy with how the harpies look. I should be collecting some ghoul hands today so, with a bit of green stuff as well, some of them wont have clenched right fists.

I really hope I finish the BG by the end of next week, then move on to either some harpies or the two RBTs.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I think you can get away with the Khorne markings - they are very similar to those of Khaine anyway, and many people believe that Khaine is in fact the elven name for Khorne and that both deities are in fact one and the same. Others believe that Khaine is just one aspect of Khorne etc, so it's perfectly fluffy IMO to leave them in place.

Your army is just amazing - there's just too much to heap praise upon but if I had to single out anything in particular for adoration, i think it would be the Cold Ones and that awesome freehand banner - I wish I could draw half as well as that !

Everything else looks great too - OK, a bit Khainist for my hertical tastes, but superb all the same :)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Malekith666
Slave on the Altar

Post by Malekith666 »

Thats a VERY nice Army, Hope you can keep that standard for all your minis. Sure takes A LOT of time.
I especially like the Harpy conversion. Good idea, I can't think of another army I've seen those in.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Thanks for the support guys. I had a week off of painting due to work but have almost finished the front rank of my black guard. If I'm efficient tonight I might finish everything but the banner freehand, which I have something nice planned for, although all the folds in the sculpt will make things tricky. I've also made two scenic 60mm round bases for my RBTs that I am VERY happy with. They are both grassy, rocky outcrops with plants and ferns and things.

At the other end of things I had a GW worker tell me why all of my NMM on sigvald is wrong the other day - the fantasyness of the magic armour wasn't appreciated, apparently NMM should always be grey for iron/steel or yellow for brass/gold :(
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

I took a week and a half's break, but the BG front rank are pretty much done. I spy a couple of details that need touching up but the main thing to do now is the banner freehand. I'm also considering redoing the black cloaks of the command group and adding a blue flame freehand around the bottom.

Durloth
Highborn

Post by Durloth »

Very nice <3 the glowing skulls!
...Some are born to sweet delight
Some are born to endless night...

My Dark Elf army: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=785039#785039

My general WFB plog: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190654
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Wow.. that freehand banner is really, really cool.. so too is the GW of the noble.
Actually, everyting painted looks awesome :shock: .

I'm very curious how your army is going to turn out,

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

I was up late last night working on the banner. I'm going to re-do the command team's cloaks with a bit of freehand before calling it done. I'm kind of happy with how the banner turned out, but am a bit displeased as well. The surface was a nightmare to paint since it has such strong and odd folds, much unlike the corsair or knight banner. If it was flatter I could have done something far, far more realistic but the effect I wanted most of all worked, so I'm happy overall. The banner certainly should be worth 35 points ;)

Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Nice unit, very colorful but at the same time fearful...

your freehand roocks!
Death before dishonor
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Thanks Azoth!

Here's my progress. I've mostly done boring things like basecoating and making movement trays.

The trays are modified GW modular ones. I changed the borders to be slanted and very tightly fitting so that the units fit exactly within, allowing for a neatly based top to the tray that merges with the troops. I also magnetised all of my models apart from the harpies and the RBTs+crew and put thin metallic sheeting on the trays. I also did some cloak freehand on the BG - I'm just finishing it off now. Once I'm done tonight I'll varnish them and call it a job done.

I started on my RBT's. I converted a crewmember since I had two of the pointing ones (the spare goes into my crossbows to make the unit more fun). I might add a couple of spikes on his left arm. I also did some testing for the NMM on the RBT. I want it to look really dark and cold compared to the nice grassy hillock I sculpted for the base.

Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Well, it has been a while.

I'm painting this little guy for a friend, as an "evil wizard". I am trying to push my painting to a further level, especially with the freehands I will do on the cloak. I like the model so much that I might paint another one for myself on a square base for the Dark Elves.

So far only the NMM armour has been started on the legs and body. The shoes and helm have not been done and the cloak is basecoated purely so that I don't fry my eyes painting grey armour on a grey model with grey paint. The NMM is only started, it will be touched up. Don't expect it to look that good or make too much sense until I do coloured areas around it.

Criticism is craved, as ever.
Jawa_scum
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jawa_scum »

Just Awesome!

How on earth do you blend that well?

Ive tried many times but can never get it to look right, you can always see the shade lines!
Durloth
Highborn

Post by Durloth »

The BG really look amazing! How did you make the bolt for the RBT-crew? I've been planning a similat conversion, but haven't really found a satisfactory solution for the tip and fletching ...
...Some are born to sweet delight
Some are born to endless night...

My Dark Elf army: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=785039#785039

My general WFB plog: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190654
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

jawa_scum wrote:Just Awesome!

How on earth do you blend that well?

Thanks! Many many thin layers. Automaton's guide on is a good place to start, he also has other guides on CMON http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainters/viewtopic.php?t=49&start=0

Durloth wrote:The BG really look amazing! How did you make the bolt for the RBT-crew? I've been planning a similat conversion, but haven't really found a satisfactory solution for the tip and fletching ...

Thank you. The crew member's arm holding a bolt is from the corsair sprue. It is a corsair arm holding onto a sort of javelin thing. I think I shaved it down into a better shape with a knife and then green stuffed the fletching on. I didn't finish the Bolt Thrower but I did redo the NMM - I may photo it since I was really happy with it.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

The NMM had many errors, as GeOrc pointed out. I did my best to correct them. Strictly, I should have stripped and reprimed the model as many of the NMM surfaces have already been overworked, but alas I have no paint stripper and this is mainly a model to learn with anyway. I had hoped to have begun work on the other details by now but sadly the armour is still in progress. The NMM is pretty much done, all it needs are some more shading on the feet and light blue glazes all over. I have also painted the NMM on the arms, but have not attached them for the photo. I am pleased with the back of the helmet. The model in real life is actually a bit darker than in the photo - this is because it is taken in direct light rather than diffuse light/a lightbox. Here we go:

Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

I think your best skill seems to be the ability to make even plain steel areas look interesting.
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore