The Maelstrom Award I - it's thinking time...

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

The Maelstrom Award I - it's thinking time...

Post by Dark Alliance »

Timmy and I will announce the winner of this once the voting for the main award ends. Out of curiosity though, we wonder who you guys think should win AND why

;)
Durloth
Highborn

Post by Durloth »

I think I like Tribuns` Ork the best, for his super gritty paint style, that IMO suits 40K orks better than fantasy Dark Elves. Or Laynes` mongoblin, for the superb conversion. Or Dumbledores` guy for the great free hand.

You`ve sure got your work cut out for you...
...Some are born to sweet delight
Some are born to endless night...

My Dark Elf army: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=785039#785039

My general WFB plog: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190654
Tribun
Shade

Re: The Maelstrom Award I - it's thinking time...

Post by Tribun »

Dark Alliance wrote:Timmy and I will announce the winner of this once the voting for the main award ends. Out of curiosity though, we wonder who you guys think should win AND why

;)

Will there be no voting for the Maelstrom award?? :?:
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

At first I thought Arq's tank, because who can argue with a tank? But then I thought, well, a Big Mek can. So Tribun to win with Big Mek.

And it was mentioned in the first post of the Competition, that Dark Alliance and his mo-fo Timmy would be judging the Maelstrom. Which fact I recall without re-reading.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Will there be no voting for the Maelstrom award??

I would guess Maelstrom Award is given out and voted for by Maelstrom ;)

And since the question's been asked, my vote went to Dumbledore's Dreadlord.
It was a close call between this one and Malekith. But while Malekith is an amazing conversion, I preferred the paintjob on the Dreadlord.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

My vote goes for Dumbledore's Dreadlord - that is one fantastic banner. Well done.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I second the appreciation for Dumbledore's Dreadlord.
The handwork on the banner is... wow... impressive.
And the quality of the painting of the model elswhere is the same.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Dumbledore's BSB is hugely impressive, Layne's Mongoblin is an awesome sculpt (as is the rest of the army), Pap3r's Screaming Bell has some extremely nice and subtle weathering effects on it.

Layne wrote:At first I thought Arq's tank, because who can argue with a tank? But then I thought, well, a Big Mek can. So Tribun to win with Big Mek.
Nice of you to say so, but I'm actually rather dissapointed with how the tank turned out. I'll probably be repainting it soon to be honest.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

Arquinsiel wrote:Dumbledore's BSB is hugely impressive, Layne's Mongoblin is an awesome sculpt (as is the rest of the army), Pap3r's Screaming Bell has some extremely nice and subtle weathering effects on it.

Layne wrote:At first I thought Arq's tank, because who can argue with a tank? But then I thought, well, a Big Mek can. So Tribun to win with Big Mek.
Nice of you to say so, but I'm actually rather dissapointed with how the tank turned out. I'll probably be repainting it soon to be honest.

Don't be so shy, your entry was a good one and I especially liked to see a "non warhammer"-mini, too!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

If this is the competition I think it is, I voted for the witch elf model after a close decision between that and one of the dreadlords. I can't recall who the painter was though sorry, and I may be thinking of something else entirely as I do not recall seeing any 40k stuff in the mix which has been mentioned above.

;)
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Tribun wrote:Don't be so shy, your entry was a good one and I especially liked to see a "non warhammer"-mini, too!
Eh, I'm not being shy so much as being realistic and a bit of a rivet-counting perfectionist. The bad picture doesn't show a lot of the colour graduations etc (the wheels are much darker than the hull, for example) and overall the model is far darker and greasier-looking than the rest of the looted pre-war light tanks in that platoon. It *is* only waist-high to a Space Marine but even so, I seem to have lost my touch in the year's hiatus from painting.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.