Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - Unreleased sorcerer

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - The Gorgoneion

Post by T.D. »

Cynath ch'ill wrote:

Beechawawa! :shock:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Re: Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - The Midnight Bla

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

The Gorgoneion

Paints used: Vallejo, Reaper Master Series, Games Workshop Washes, [url="https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=4_25&osCsid=1f25170f508ae1822baf20f0b55675e7"]Com Art Medea Airbrush Paints[/url]
Airbrush: [url="https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=1_9&osCsid=19916247422a0cad2c4dd3e341f17a48"]Iwata CR Plus High Line[/url]
Paint Brushes: Rosemary & Co. Raphael 8040, Broken Toad Brushes

The majority of the armour was painted with gradient highlights of grey washes with turquoise . The green of the Cold One hide was shaded with brown and highlighted with yellow to give a nice earthy complexion. The banner itself really allowed me to stretch my freehand skills. On the one side we have a very tightly controlled, intricate pattern and on the other a loser more emotional rendition of the Gorgon. The blending isn't as smooth nor is the painting quite as detailed but I wanted to get across the dual nature of the Druchii - highly civilized, disciplined, cultured, but conversely savage, cruel and frenzied.

Certain motif's run throughout the unit - the moon, the severed heart and the blood drop are all prevalent. I also wanted to push the image of the Gorgon into the silhouette of the model. To do this I used the Incubi heads in imitation of snakes coming from the head of the Gorgon.

If you'd like to read the background of the Gorgoneion (certain parts are a little intense so if you are easily upset please do not click on the link) as well as eye bleedingly large photographs of each of the knights please check out the blog:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-gorgoneion-chihll-household-elite.html

Have a good one!

Myles
Amboadine wrote:Well at first glance from your teaser, they look great. I look forward to the the full pictures, on what will actually be my birthday :)
With hatred ... wrote:It's always good to see updates from you and it looks as if Tuesday will be great, lovely looking cold ones!
T.D. wrote:
Cynath ch'ill wrote:
Happy birthday! did you make out with any Dark Elf swag? I'm getting all the monsters I want from Forgeworld before they go the way of the Dodo.

Beechawawa! :shock:

Such language from such a pretty face! Cheers man!

@ With Hatred - cheers man.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Cynath ch'ill wrote:Image

Stunning work. I particularly like this view of one of your Knights. Great metallics and composition.

The unit as a whole is quite the tabletop presence! Much more fearsome than the vanilla kind -- you must be very happy with how they turned out 8)

Also:

Cynath ch'ill wrote:Full pics will be up next Tuesday ( a day before my Birthday).

Amboadine wrote:Well at first glance from your teaser, they look great. I look forward to the the full pictures, on what will actually be my birthday :)

To both of you, as they say in Naggaroth:

Harpy Bathday!!! :mrgreen:
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Thanks T.D.

Unit is simply stunning. Nice use of Incubi.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

That is just beautiful :)
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

Stunning work. Absolutely out of this -or any other- world.
Although they're conversions, they don't look like it. It's as if cold one knights were meant to be made this way. Everything just works together. From the Gamezone predators via the Dark Eldar trophy racks and incubi helmets to the shields and to finish it off, the beautiful bases. Truly Epic!!! Also the harp is a very nice and subtle conversion. No doubt it has magical abilities so that it sounds loud enough for its combat signals to be heard by the entire unit during a battle.
Can I ask what shields you used?

Happy Birthday to both you and Amboadine.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I dig your style so much. You manage to work a tremendous amount of implied movement into your stuff and this latest effort is no exception. The subtle turn of the head on the forward facing knight is so perfect.

Superb.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

They are truly stunning, both the conversion and the paintjob. :shock: :shock: *blown away*

EDIT: By the way, if you ever need more incubi heads and spiky bits, I have plenty of them left over from my own incubi conversion. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Bloody gorgeous!!!
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers guys and thanks for the birthday wishes. I'm drinking some very good wine from a plastic Halloween chalice moulded into the likness of a skull.

Perfect Druchii way to spend a birthday.

Myles
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Guess what came today!

I've written up a short review that I'm looking to get published in the Figure Painter magazine. If it doesn't get in I'll post the bad boy up on the blog.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice. Mine are on the way now too.
Trilobite
Trainee Warrior

Post by Trilobite »

Fantastic and inspiring work! Always nice to get the paint schemes :-) I esp. love your work on the medusa, and the freehand and shadings on banners and cloaks! And the knight conversions. And the rest. Do you shade first, and paint freehand after, or shade over the freehand? Or in several steps?
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

[CENTER]Vio'Cious Ch'Ihll

[/CENTER]

Vio'scious Ch'Ihll is captain of the Raven's Delight, a once great host now greatly diminished to those members who were fleet enough to outpace their pursuers. The moniker Blood Raven was hung about him after his many flights across Naggaroth, fleeing the vengeful blades at his back. The raven is a craven bird in Naggarothi lore and Vio'scious has a growing repute for savaging the weak, helpless and lamed for his continued survival.

Paints used: Vallejo, Reaper Master Series, Games Workshop Washes, [url="https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=4_25&osCsid=1f25170f508ae1822baf20f0b55675e7"]Com Art Medea Airbrush Paints[/url]
Airbrush: [url="https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath=1_9&osCsid=19916247422a0cad2c4dd3e341f17a48"]Iwata CR Plus High Line[/url]
Paint Brushes: Rosemary & Co. Raphael 8040, Broken Toad Brushes

Every Dark Elf army needs a pegasus rider doesn't it? I didn't want to create a model just for the sake of gaming purposes as I find these model tend to lack character and are quickly forgotten for the more personal elements of a force. I knew I had to have the Preyton somewhere in my collection and a quick mock up of the old Asdurael Vect Kit seemed like a match made in heaven!

I decided to go for a strong black and red colour scheme. This is an incredibly effective combination but also helped distance the Blood Raven visually from the rest of the Ch'Ihll host. Vio'Cious adds a welcome splash of colour to the force. His Raven's Delight will be a unit of Dark riders that accompany him into battle.

[url="http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/"]Bigger pics[/url]
[url="https://www.facebook.com/lillegendstudio"]W.I.P[/url]

Myles
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Nice 8)

Asdrubael is a great old sculpt, and integrates well into the rest of your force.

Beautiful metallic effect too :)
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers T.D!

I needed a fighty pegasus hero to try out the cloak of twilight combo (I didn't have one for the infamous pendant hero).

I feel this force needs more troops. It's very character heavy at the moment. Maybe a unit of sisters? A coterie of executioners? Maybe chunk of crossbow elves? What do you guys think?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice preyton colour scheme.
Must get mine painted.
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

As others have said - simply amazing. I love the colour of the Preyton and metallic work is top notch.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

Saw this, threw my shitty army in the bin
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

toots wrote:Saw this, threw my shitty army in the bin

Pretty sure you're kidding - this hobby costs WAY too much to be like that.

But in all seriousness, there is a lesson here that's worth pointing out. You can look at work like this two ways. You can say "there's no way I'll ever paint like that!", and give up. Or, you can let it inspire you and let it try to make you better. You may never paint like this, and me either. But what you CAN do is try your best to make every mini you do at least a little better than the one you did before.

I don't know if you like golf, but it's like golf. You can watch a PGA tour event (if you can stay awake), and be blown away by those guys and how good they are, and since you probably will never be a pro golfer, you could just give up and throw your clubs away. OR, you could just do the best you can and enjoy the hobby, because if you aren't enjoying it, why are you in it in the first place? :)

Hope I didn't overly hijack the thread. I love your work Cynath. It's unique and inspired in the design, and the execution is marvelous as well.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Coop
Dark Rider

Post by Coop »

This is an excellent paint log and I really love the cold one knights. I think what's so cool about your work (besides it being exceptionally clean and well done) is that you've really captured the spirit of dark elves with your painting. The color scheme really matches most of the models perfectly and they look sufficiently evil and ...dark. Good work!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

loving the army - very unique look!

Keep the eye candy coming :D
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Cynath ch'ill wrote:I feel this force needs more troops. It's very character heavy at the moment. Maybe a unit of sisters? A coterie of executioners? Maybe chunk of crossbow elves? What do you guys think?

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say...

...we'd just be delighted to see where the muse takes you :)

It might be worth waiting a few months till the dust has settled on the upcoming changes before committing to new units.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

lol no i was joking. was just suggesting that his stuff is so good it makes mine look poor! but i'm pretty pleased with my squad, it's 95% painted now and i'll be doing a big reveal when it's all ready... (won't get 12 pages of comments though!)

really excellent unit of cold ones my friend! well done on that and all your other amazing units!

direweasel wrote:
toots wrote:Saw this, threw my shitty army in the bin

Pretty sure you're kidding - this hobby costs WAY too much to be like that.

But in all seriousness, there is a lesson here that's worth pointing out. You can look at work like this two ways. You can say "there's no way I'll ever paint like that!", and give up. Or, you can let it inspire you and let it try to make you better. You may never paint like this, and me either. But what you CAN do is try your best to make every mini you do at least a little better than the one you did before.

I don't know if you like golf, but it's like golf. You can watch a PGA tour event (if you can stay awake), and be blown away by those guys and how good they are, and since you probably will never be a pro golfer, you could just give up and throw your clubs away. OR, you could just do the best you can and enjoy the hobby, because if you aren't enjoying it, why are you in it in the first place? :)

Hope I didn't overly hijack the thread. I love your work Cynath. It's unique and inspired in the design, and the execution is marvelous as well.
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers everyone! I'm replying on a mobile and it's quite hard to respond to each person so I'll just post a general thank you.

I have a quandary. I've arranged for a game tomorrow night and if love to use something I've just finished painting. It's quite a special project.

But there are no rules for him. I thought it would be quite fun to throw this open to you lot and see what you come up with. For clarity sake I'd probably go for a sorcerer on hydra but it's way more fun to come up with something unique.

So, what shall mariliste the cripple of Karond Kar special rules be?

Myles