Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - Unreleased sorcerer

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - Unreleased sorcerer

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Although the Dark Elves were not my first warhammer army (I actually collected Highelves - yuck), they are certainly my first love. I have collected them for over 14 years and with all the excitement of the 8th I decided to indulge a little.

Here are the first WIP shots of my labour, Cynath Ch’Ill, or Kynathis Ch'hll (pronounced Kai-Nath-Is). I hope you enjoy.

Cynath Ch'ill, the Disgraced Prince of Naggarond.

The cloak still needs some work, but I'm very pleased how my prince has turned out. The Dark Elf lord on which this is based was the first dark elf miniature I bought and has been through several incarnations. As my skills improved, so has he.

Throughout the years he has led his house nobles on raids all across the Warhammer world and is more than a little reckless when it comes to accepting a challenge (he has a fairly decent record as well, slaying Grimgor and Valten on foot in single combat, no doubt impostors). It seemed only natural to his narrative that he would end up disgraced and disowned somewhere down the line.
Last edited by Cynath ch'ill on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Azrial14
Trainee Warrior

Post by Azrial14 »

whats the top half of the model, is really smart. and how did you get it to stay up right.
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

I love his mask, have been considering sculpting up a mask similar for my dragonlord, where is that from?
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Huhm, that looks quite well, with what did you made the base?. I'm also interested in the top half, what is it?

And of course, when can we expect to see it painted :P ?

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Pretty cool. The base is awesome, the conversion is very well done, greenstuff work is awesome. The only thing that bothers me is the dynamics. The coldone is (or looks like it is) moving forward, that usually means that the wind comes from the front to the back of the model, which isn't the case right now. Other than that, no criticism. One lovely model :)
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Playa23
Corsair

Post by Playa23 »

When he fights the enemy head-on does he still look over his shoulder to see who is coming from behind?
Just kidding, I really like the model everything about it cries Dark Elf ;)
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

I think this is a subtle but very effective and great looking conversion. I especially like the leg-armour and the cloak. The model really
stands out because of its very dynamic look. I can't wait to see it painted.
The top half of the miniature is a very old dark elf with sword.
http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20207darkelves-h.htm
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread. Lets see if I can answer these questions

Azrial14 wrote:whats the top half of the model, is really smart. and how did you get it to stay up right.

Thank you. I'm not really sure what 'it' you are referring too. If it's the cloak, I sculpted a rough version of it, then layered greenstuff over the top for a finish (even though it is not finished yet.)

Tzelok wrote:I love his mask, have been considering sculpting up a mask similar for my dragonlord, where is that from?

Farodin wrote:Huhm, that looks quite well, with what did you made the base?. I'm also interested in the top half, what is it?

And of course, when can we expect to see it painted :P ?

-Farodin

Thank you both. The origins of the top half has been answered, with a neat link as well, by vladdrak (see below). I'll write up a tutorial on how I produced the base and stick it up on my website and on this thread.

Sarcon wrote:Pretty cool. The base is awesome, the conversion is very well done, greenstuff work is awesome. The only thing that bothers me is the dynamics. The coldone is (or looks like it is) moving forward, that usually means that the wind comes from the front to the back of the model, which isn't the case right now. Other than that, no criticism. One lovely model :)

I based the conversion on this seminal painting of Napoleon:

Recreating a similar pose with this metal Cold One would be laborious work, with little pay off at the end. You are bang on with the dynamics being a little askew, and i'll have to take any criticisms like this on the chin. I think I could have fooled the eye if the front legs of cold one's were longer (thus positioning them in a rearing pose as seen in the Napoleon Painting).

I don't think that the wind is so much of a worry though. There is hardly any cloth area's on the Cold One (and where there is cloth, there is also a layer of chainmail weighing it down). The main cloth part of the model (Cynath's cloak) is so big and ostentatious, that I think I can just about get away with this pose.

Good shrewd observation there though Sarcon, and it's nice to have praise from someone with such a splendid army as yourself.

PLAYA23 wrote:When he fights the enemy head-on does he still look over his shoulder to see who is coming from behind?
Just kidding, I really like the model everything about it cries Dark Elf ;)

You know what, that was a very real concern for me at the start. Stick him in a unit, and he looks like he's trying to run away! And he has quite a habit of saving his own skin in games.

I can't find a pic, but this pose reminds me of the old silver helm high elf lord. This pose causes problems, but looks very dashing I think. And Cynath is definitely more style than substance.

vladdrak wrote:I think this is a subtle but very effective and great looking conversion. I especially like the leg-armour and the cloak. The model really
stands out because of its very dynamic look. I can't wait to see it painted.
The top half of the miniature is a very old dark elf with sword.
http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20207darkelves-h.htm

Thank you. You got the got the model correct. Well done for noticing the leg armour - I'll improve the lighting for the finished photograph's. As for painting, i'm not sure when i'll get around to it. I'm trying out different skin tones and deciding on the scheme. I'm currently painting up the dark elf sorceress on foot as a tester.

I've also knocked up a trial DE warrior. I don't mind the current plastic models, but I like my armies to be different. So I'm working on creating my own warrior kit for crossbowmen and spearmen (or should that be spearelves?). I'm thinking of using black guard legs and arms, corsair torso's and cold one knight heads. Here is a quick knock up:

The above has legs from the classic metal spearman kit, and I plan on replacing the spear-man's hand with something I sculpt. An expensive idea I know (but I think it looks better), so i'm looking into sculpting my own versions and cast them in resin. If anyone has experience casting, or lives in South Wales, U.K, I'd love to hear from you.

Until next time.
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

I guess your prepared to have very expensive warriors. I Kit bashed my rbx using glade guard legs, warrior torsos, corsair arms/hand bows/helmeted heads as well as a few heads from the new cold ones. They look fantastic put together, but it cost me 2 times the cost to make 10 warriors. At least now I have plenty of parts for future conversions and such. If you can afford it, man go nuts!
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

xtickx wrote:I guess your prepared to have very expensive warriors. I Kit bashed my rbx using glade guard legs, warrior torsos, corsair arms/hand bows/helmeted heads as well as a few heads from the new cold ones. They look fantastic put together, but it cost me 2 times the cost to make 10 warriors. At least now I have plenty of parts for future conversions and such. If you can afford it, man go nuts!

There in lies he rub; i'm poor and tight as hell, thus the plea for an experienced mould maker. I've tired it before, but I can never get the ratio of sillicone rubber correct.
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Hooray for nasty W.I.P shots:

Kouran, Master of the Black Guard

I created this guy while rummaging through my bitz box. Also came across this geezer:

COBRA!!!! ahem. This will make a nice little characterful sprite for one of my sorceress'. Very Pleased I found this guy again.

On another note, I think i've struck on a method of creating cheap effective warriors. What i'm thinking will be a little time consuming, but infinitely more legal than casting a load of black guard models in resin. Will update soon when I get the materials.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

My interpretation of Morathi, the Hag Queen of Naggaroth.
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

I find your conversions (also the ones on your blog) damn inspiring stuff. Also your painting is dark, gritty and therefore realistic. I like it a lot. Keep up the good work and l'm very curious to see those dark elf spearmen.

P.S. Is that the head of a Rackham (Confrontation) miniature I see on your Kourhan?
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

the pins on your kouran model has made it very comical as of now haha. But yea, I really like your Cold One model, I enjoy seeing dynamic poses over cool conversion!
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

This is where i am with Morathi

Really love the older Pegasus model (I always wanted one when I was a kid), and I love the Morathi character, and certain parts of the Chris FitzPatrick sculpt. I wanted my Morathi to be a little more dynamic and decided to base her on this:

I''ve bought some of the Warmaster Harpy models, and I have a few forest spirits from the Wood elf kit to turn into Morathi's sprite's.

As a side note, i've started working on some test models for my warrior kit. Results are very pleasing, and I hope to have pictures up soon.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Some amazing work Cynath. Very inspiring!!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

cool. are you gonna add horns to the pegasus?
Aeth
Warrior

Post by Aeth »

Where did you get the peg from? It looks ace.
.........|\~
....\~| \
....|\./.\
.r/_\ /___\ç
.\======/¨
~~~~~~~~~

These are the voyages of the Black Arc Enterprise..........
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Aeth wrote:Where did you get the peg from? It looks ace.

It´s the black pegasus from 5th ed.
Death before dishonor
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

love your concepts and conversions mate!...looking forward to see more !
Death before dishonor
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

First of all, my apologies for not responding to all the great feedback and compliment's I have been getting. I read everything, and I really do appreciate you taking the time to put in your feedback.

vladdrak wrote:I find your conversions (also the ones on your blog) damn inspiring stuff. Also your painting is dark, gritty and therefore realistic. I like it a lot. Keep up the good work and l'm very curious to see those dark elf spearmen.

P.S. Is that the head of a Rackham (Confrontation) miniature I see on your Kourhan?

Thank you. I try my best with the blog (I hate Blogger's interface). I have zero followers and zero comments on any of the posts making me feel very popular! It's nice to know that it is getting a little attention.

Very sharp spot with the head. It is indeed that model.

Meteor wrote:the pins on your kouran model has made it very comical as of now haha. But yea, I really like your Cold One model, I enjoy seeing dynamic poses over cool conversion!

Yeah I agree, he looks like Skeltor at the moment. Not very threatening with those weak thighs.

xFallenx wrote:Some amazing work Cynath. Very inspiring!!

Thank you. I hope you enjoy the pictures below.

Lord Tsunami wrote:cool. are you gonna add horns to the pegasus?

You know, I didn't even notice that. I think that i will leave it off for the sake of balance of the miniature. And I can just imagine that it would snap off all the time in transit.

Aeth wrote:Where did you get the peg from? It looks ace.

It is the old classic sorceress' peg with Melichor Nightmare's wings (old Vampire Counts kit).

Lord_Azoth wrote:love your concepts and conversions mate!...looking forward to see more !

Thank you. Love al your doings as well. very nice stuff you are producing. I'm just playing catch up.

I've been very busy collecting bits for my planned warrior kit. I quite like the current plastic kit, but I like to do something different with anything that I collect. I worked up some sketches of how I would like the warriors from House of Ch'ill to look. I tried to strike a balance between the old 'chaos elf' look of the 80's and the sleeker, more agile look of the newer range.

Here's the result:

The above is the most finished of the pieces. I need a lot more practice sculpting chain-mail, which I will duly get sculpting 40 + warriors. I have five in the works at the moment:

All models are also magnetized :

My Disgraced Prince Cynath is 99% complete. I just need to tidy up the back of his left hand, and he is good to go.

Ok, that's enough for now. I will post up progress on Morathi then post up a sorceress I've been painting if I can take a decent enough picture.

Hope you enjoy.
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

I love your spearmen. One little remark though: aren't the spear heads a little heavy compared to the rest of the miniatures? Maybe replacing them with the top of the cold one knight lances is an option. It would also fit the style of the armour more IMHO.
Are you really going to sculpt 40 chainmail skirts? You have a lot more patience and balls than I have. Good luck.
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

vladdrak wrote:I love your spearmen. One little remark though: aren't the spear heads a little heavy compared to the rest of the miniatures? Maybe replacing them with the top of the cold one knight lances is an option. It would also fit the style of the armour more IMHO.
Are you really going to sculpt 40 chainmail skirts? You have a lot more patience and balls than I have. Good luck.

Thank you. I take your point about the spear heads, they are rather top heavy in comparison the the rest of the model. I've used them because I had 20 unused Spears readily available to me in my bitz box. I'm trying to build an army on a very tight budget, so using the spears from the cold one kit is unfeasible.

I also used them because I quite like how extravagantly big they are. They are definitely a product of Fantasy, not real world dynamics. Ultimately, anyone seeing these models will either like or dislike them by their own tastes and prejudices.

Yes I am planning on sculpting all the chain-mail on the warriors. I think that this is the area I need the most improvement on. Sculpting 40 warriors will certainly give me the chance to improve.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I really really really really like those spearmen modifications! The rear design is superb. I like the hair coming down from underneath their helms, it's something I had wanted to do but wasn't sure, now I have no doubts! I also really like the extended poles for their spears. It looks so much better for the fact that they fight in multiple ranks. The larger blades are great too, I hate the puny ones the CoKs use. Keep at it!
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

The warriors are truly perfect. Good luck in converting and painting 40 of them. I seriously do not understand why some Picasso paintings are so pricey. Our minis should be that expensive, considering the amount of work! We have to wait until we will have died, probably.

edit: apparently you have cut your finger when dealing with one of the spearmen, considering the red traces. Kudos!
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Man..I´m in love with your warriors....
Death before dishonor