how to do these color schemes?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Maggotcarrier
Slave on the Altar

how to do these color schemes?

Post by Maggotcarrier »

hello fellow khainites,

iam a total painting newbie, i dont have a single brush or paint yet but i found a good shop for vallejo colors so iam getting some colors soon :)

i looked for color schemes i like online, as far as i can tell black, blue and purple are the druchii colors that are most used. so i found these which use these colors too but not as boring as i´ve seen it multiple times.

main question is: what colors do they vallejo pros here recommend to achieve something similar so i can order the colors that will match as close as possible ( i really like the second one)?

side question: how do you like the use of the stereotype dark elf colors on these?

thanky you in advance

first one

second one
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

First Question: Dont know!

Second question:

I like the second one more!

The first is too mono-toned IMO.
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Second one is better looking, first one is easiest to paint.

I kinda like the green and purple theme with gold. It's the theme I've used for my dark eldar... except that I used red instead of purple :p The colors I used to achieve a good looking armor with that, was to go with darkened dark angels green at the bottom and mix it with goblin green and up to skull white for highlights... I used drybrushing back then, but I'd recommend more "proper" highlighting techniques so that you learn a better way of painting. However if you want to finish 10 miniatures a evening, you could just basecoat them with skull white, apply a dark layer of green, highlight with really dry brushing of goblin green and then apply a nice and detailed layer of gold. As for the purple, go with a nice strong one and mix with skull white for highlights there as well.

I don't know what the new colors of these are called, but generally use a dark color as base and mix it with lighter ones up to a skull white... you can also just use one green color and mix black for the dark part and white for the lighter, but it might not get the same result as you want. You just have to try though :)

Remember that the detail of that second one is sick, and the NMM technique is used for it (Which means that he doesn't use metal paint, he uses normal colors and applies the lightning and shades to it so that it looks like metal). If you are new, I'd recommend going for metal paints :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Greetings! They sure are some nice pics you have there, and I will preface this by saying wishing to replicate amazing colour schemes can be a noble undertaking (i.e greatest form of flattery etc).

I personally believe that as amatures, we (because I am right there with you) would be better served by discussing types of paint schemes, range of palette and the like, as opposed to seeking out specific colours made by specific producers in order to crack a 'paint by numbers' approach.

For that way lies madness. It will do your head in trying to replicate without understanding the techniques used.

So, from my limited understanding, you have pics of two very different types of schemes. They both use what is termed a 'limited palette'. The first one uses more complementary colours, whilst the second uses contrasting colours (from memory green and purple lie across from each other on the colour wheel). You have said you prefer the second one, so perhaps googlefu a colour wheel and ponder what scheme you may want from that angle. You may also want to look into warm and cold.colours too, as that will change the hue of the colour you want to.use to create the effect you want.

None of which is very uselful if you just want to buy a few colours and paint an army. It can be quite easy, though, to build up a palette that will serve you well over time. Maybe start off with a few different shades of turquoise, and of purple. Some black, white, a basic flesh tone and a wash or two and you will have a good start. I piece of advice I once got was to start of by painting a character model that probably won't actually get used in your army, to test different techniques and just get a feel for the whole thing. And maybe try to perfect NMM before committing to use it across an army ;)

I hope some of this may help in some way. I am certainly no pro, but I think trying to understand the craft as a whole will be much more rewarding than buying x, y & z and hoping it will all work out. Or, I may be all wrong! Just give it a go whichever way. Experience will beat all else in the end.

Please forgive any typos, on my phone in a hostel, not the best of environs. But I did want to chime in, because for me the painting part of the hobby is what excites me most. So maybe we can all help.each other, share ideas, and learn as a collective...

Cheers
Amarok

P.s I too.have moved away from drybrushing. Certainly easier, but I just didn't like the 'chalky' look... Might even get me some 'edge paints' to this end.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...