[PLOG] Malik's Dark Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Interesting idea, I really like those shades!
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

FYI I think this would make a wonderful addition to your theme:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat750003a&prodId=prod1460123a
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

indeed it would :D
Malikos
Trainee Warrior

Re: [PLOG] Malik's Dark Elves

Post by Malikos »

It has been some time hasn't it? The last time I posted on here I was in the middle of creating a cool Kraken themed army. Then the VC book came out and blew my mind.

Here is what became of that:

I then decided to try my hand at converting my Wood Elves to High Elves. Here are some of them!

I also worked on some chaos dwarves....

So here I am, coming back to my dark elves. I absolutely loves the new miniatures and I'm still set on keeping my Kraken themed army, although it will be less about mutated elves and more about Dark Elves from Karond Kar.

I feel like this lady will make a great Medusa, even if she is a little small:

I also have spent the last few weeks working with a new color scheme. I liked the teal but wasn't a huge fan of all the purple. Here is where I'm at right now:

and a poorly lit photo of a WIP Corsair:

I'm still not really liking the purple, I might swap it out for black. I really want these dudes to look evil, and I think limiting the colors might be a way to do that. Hopefully I'll have some more stuff up soon, been busy building and preparing for Waaagh! Paca in a few weeks. I hope to punch out a few more spears / swords by the end of the week. Until then, later dudes!

-M
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Some amazing new pieces/units & army, thanks for catching us up. I echo your thoughts on the purple but do you think black may be too far down the spectrum? Your boots would probably need to be changed from black unless you give them a glossier look so as not to wash out... either way, I am really looking forward to what you post next.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

This has to go down as one of the best PnM thread updates ever!

Your VC army is just sublime.

Your Chaos Dwarfs and Wood/High Elves also excellent.

Agree that missy tentacles will make a good medusa, and dig the new DE colour scheme 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Love the teal colour, I use a similar one and you've pulled it off brilliantly!

And, agree, much prefer the dark maroon/purple to the lighter purple.
treeapple
Warrior

Post by treeapple »

VC, High Elves and Chaosdwarves are just amazing. Thanks for the inspiration since I'm currently working on some Chaos dwarves myself.

I'm not use what to think about the new color scheme for your Dark Elves. I liked the old one very much. The cold colors fit ideal to your kraken and seaborne theme. With all that warm gold and colorful clothing these newly painted dudes look more like rich and dekadent merchants.
Malikos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malikos »

Thanks for all the kind words! I've been trying to pull myself away from Hearthstone (damn video games...) to get myself back into painting on a regular basis. I have a small crappy picture update for today, I'll try and get something better looking done over the weekend.

The Bleaksword (who may become bolt thrower crew or a champ for spears...) is done. The other two are still WIP.

Thanks for looking,

-M
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice choice of colours. Makes them stand out from the more common shades of purple.
Look forward to seeing more.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

The use of blues and color shading stand out rather well. Nice
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Wiggen
Corsair

Post by Wiggen »

I can only agree with the rest, beautiful paintjob! I love the teal colour, it really fits, and also very nice nmm!
Malikos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malikos »

What up!!!!

Thanks for the kinds words, helps keep me motivated :mrgreen:

Alright, so I decided to take a shot at using my light box / tent thingy my lady bought me a few years ago. Here are the results, what do you think?

As for the models, finally picked a color for the scales and cloaks. I like the way I did the left most dude's cloak more. Also threw some skin tones down and finished some bases. Just have a few more things to finish and these guys will be done. There really are a lot of parts on these corsairs, makes them take a lot longer than expected!

Thanks for looking

-T
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

What is not to like? Good use of colour. Nice basing. Pleasant to the eye. Good work.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

The teal looks great with the NMM gold! Beautiful blending and highlights all around. Really nice looking! How are you achieving such smooth blends, are you glazing?
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Malikos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malikos »

@ Amboadine - Thanks! The basing is a new adventure for me and I hope to get some better pictures of it soon. I'm attempting to replicate the land of chill!

@ MangoPunch - First, love the user name. Second, thanks!

About blending.... I'm actually doing no blending at all. I don't know if I lack that patience or skill to blend, or if I've never had someone show me the proper technique to do it, but I've just never been able to pull it off. Instead, I've found a way to just use thin layers and color mixing to achieve something that looks close to it, but is really just layering. I do a LOT of color mixing. I'll take a color I like (like that teal) and add in blacks / grays / whites / bleached bone / etc until I get the look I want for each layer. Then I have to write down the formula so I can remember how to do it a 100 more times.

I also don't add any glazes or washes as finishing touches. I'll use a wash to darken a color sometimes, like the skin on these guys or the cloaks, but I'll highlight up from there to the final look.

That was a lot of rambling.... I hope I answered your question =).
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

I love your style. That Vampire Counts army is really good. The whole thing has such an atmosphere to it, the trees in particular finish it off perfectly!

Those Wood Elf conversions look terrific too. They make great Shadow Warriors, much nicer than the old official SW minis.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Zlatan
Dark Rider

Post by Zlatan »

beautiful colour scheme. I'm in awe of the NMM. How long does that effect take you?
Hinge
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hinge »

Awesome.

Though using teal? Must be a San jose Sharks Fan!