Wife's Dark Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Jerm20201
Slave on the Altar

Wife's Dark Elves

Post by Jerm20201 »

Recently my wife was wrangled into the warhammer fantasy hobby. After her first practice game she got really into it. One of our friends (who also plays) got her a DE starter army and an extra box of warriors. I then got her a sorcerer and hydra.

She's got everything put together and is currently working on her sorceress (who is almost complete) and her hydra, doing her warriors in between.

She is nervous about posting them, though I don't know why as you'll see below. But if she gets enough positive feedback she said she may post a PLOG ;)

Anyways, here are some of her Sorceress and Hydra WIP:

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

They look great, thanks for sharing them.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I think they might benefit from a bit more layering with washes and drybrushing. It also looks like the paint may be a little thick - is she using a painting palette or painting straight from the pot?
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Excellent start. Are these the first models she's painted?

I particularly like the eyes on the sorceress. As for areas to improve (might be the pic of course) but a little wash over the gold areas of the sorceress to allow for a cleaner diferentiation between the flesh and metal. Then go over the metal again lightly so the wash shows a gradient.

Also take a drybrush or highlight to the hair. She already knows how to highlight (I see it on the sorceresses cloak) and that would give a nice texture to the overall model as her hair is so monolithic.

That would really make an already well done model pop!
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Loving the Spine on that Hydra! :)

Looking forward to seeing more pics :D
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Jerm20201
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jerm20201 »

She did a few of my WoC models, my Disc Sorc and my Knight BSB, which she did great on, but other than that, these are pretty much her first models (for her army).

@Red: She uses straight from the pot for most of the stuff.

@Underway: I love what she did with the eyes, she spent a decent amount of time getting it perfect, but it's well worth it. She's still doing the touch ups on the models, definitely still works in progress. But she's always up for pointers. Especially since I'm not all that much help...the whole reason I went with WoC was the cool armor and the minimal skin/faces to paint ;)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Lovely colours and I definitely agree about the eyes on the sorceress. I am looking forward to seeing these models finished. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Everything so far look awesome! Can't wait to see them finished up.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

D like that hydra verry much allready
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

jerm20201 wrote:She did a few of my WoC models, my Disc Sorc and my Knight BSB, which she did great on, but other than that, these are pretty much her first models (for her army).

@Red: She uses straight from the pot for most of the stuff.

@Underway: I love what she did with the eyes, she spent a decent amount of time getting it perfect, but it's well worth it. She's still doing the touch ups on the models, definitely still works in progress. But she's always up for pointers. Especially since I'm not all that much help...the whole reason I went with WoC was the cool armor and the minimal skin/faces to paint ;)

Tell her to use a palette, to get the extra bits of paint off. The paint will go on with a thinner coat and the details of the model will stand out more easily. Its also better for brush control. I started by using a white piece of paper inside a plastic sleeve for my palatte and it works great, though the paint does tend to dry out quickly. I now use a wet palette and its much improved the quality of what goes on my models.

Quite amazing work considering shes not painted much before. :D
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Details on the sorc's face are amazing.
The model is very feminine and gentle as much as a screaming, demon binding witch can get.
Kudos!
And start the plog!
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Start the plog!

Go to agree with the others, nice work so far but a couple more highlights here and there can raise your game. A great start.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yup, for a first model it is pretty incredible, really great stuff. Keep it up for sure and the PLOG is an excellent idea.

Definitely worth trying to get a wet palette. Lots of stuff you can find about it online, but here's a couple for starters: http://www.fullborerminiatures.com/arti ... lette.html
http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/ ... nding.html

Other constructive comment is to try not to worry too much about painting every detail to have it's own colour and don't worry about colours needing to be too far apart. The blue on the back of the knife, for example, probably doesn't need to be there - it looks a bit glaring.

Anyway, as already mentioned - really good stuff and look forward to seeing more of it as it continues. Last tidbit is just to keep going - a lot of painting technique is evolutionary and just by the very act of painting she'll hone up a talent that is already pretty awesome into utter brilliance :D
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman