Anyone saw this baby from Cool Mini or Not?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Anyone saw this baby from Cool Mini or Not?

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Looks pretty epic.

Anyone seen this in the flesh? How would it look alongside a GW Dark Elf army?

I like it so much that even with that price tag its still tempting :P

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/cang.html
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Alcidas
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alcidas »

Nice, but that is just way too much money to spend on a miniature...
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

How would it look next to a Dark Elf army? Very cool ... But it is based on a terrain piece. I think it is a display model only.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Yah, looks way too big to be used as a practical gaming piece.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Awesome piece, but woah, that's even over twice the price of even a Warmachine Colossal! They'll have to wait until the next set of GW price rises for $299 to look reasonable...

2 feet high might be a bit much next to a 28mm army and it would feel rather silly for a behemoth of that size to have just T6 and 6 wounds. Worst of all, you'd never have any hope of getting cover with it XD.

Maybe someday they'll create an 8" version. When they do, I'm sure they'll become very rich indeed.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
The_dark_lord
Slave on the Altar

Post by The_dark_lord »

I've seen this model before in person up at CMON's booth at Adepticon this year. The dragon itself is actually not that big. Most of the mass is the head/upperbody. Wings are pretty large which is why it is so tall, but thin. The rider isn't quite 28mm, he appears closer to LoTR scale from what I can remember. All in all a nice model, but it's essentially a respectable sized dragon and a large terrain piece (think the ruined version of GW's three level tower on a small hill). Would be too hard to play with and would not fit the feel of dark elves at all, too bulky, not "serpentine" enough (see new SoM dragon and cold ones).
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

It is a very impressive figure, but I don't like the dragon. To me it looks like a marine iguana with wings. I prefer the classical style European dragons. If they did one like that I might consider saving up to do one. For the time being, Forge World's Carmine Dragon is still my favourite.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

I was joking about considering buying it. Just some hyperbole - if any Dragon is worth several hundred dollars this is the one!

But I do like the Dragon.

I can see the argument that it would be too big on the gameboard. Maybe GW will bring out Titan scale-equivalent expansion for FB like they did for 40k someday? Also, a lot of epic models come on oversized bases:

Thanks @ The Dark Lord for letting us know what it looks like in the flesh. If I was buying one I would convert a Dark Elf rider for it rather than use the existing one, which is pretty neat but too small from what you are saying.

@ Nightcall - Tastes differ but the reason I like Cang the Implacable over the Forge World one is the organic nature of the poise. Carmine Dragon rocks as well though IMO.

On the topic of Great Wyrms and expense; for the best quality-to-price ratio I havent seen anything better than McFarlane Dragons - to think that when first released these were cheaper than GWs :shock:

"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

I personally have bought two Ultraforge Dragons to be my black dragons.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/ultraforge-miniatures/dragon.html

I think the price is reasonable the model is excellent with few resin issues. The big win is the fact that the hooda fits a 20mm or 25mm base easiliy, so I can use what ever I like.
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."