Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 am

Forum rules

Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
[PLOG] Daeron's Blues 
Malekith's Best Friend

WIP of the magnets on the riders.

And how I feel about it...

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

It Works!

Looking good as well!

PLOGS by CultofKhaine
Corsair Ship
Cult of Khaine
Drow Themed Dark Elf Warhammer Army
Armies on Parade Board

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Black Guard

Looking good! I magnetized mine as well, I just need to ......paint them lol

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 am
Black Guard

Just spent a while going through your plog again, some lovely work in there :-)

My Retro Army

My Current Army PLOG

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:41 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

WIP of the dark rider. I took a black cloak, with the most gentle blending I could come up with. Although the colour scheme looks a bit monotone, I quite like the model as a whole. It looks dark.. for dark rider.
I could try a brighter cloak, either by adding grey or a dark colour, but I'm worried I'd break the main theme too much by adding a clear colour. Perhaps a reddish brown? If I don't come up with something better, I'll stick with black.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Malekith's Personal Guard

Looks great already!

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:49 pm
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Looks fine - very nice!

PLOGS by CultofKhaine
Corsair Ship
Cult of Khaine
Armies on Parade Board

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Black Guard

Looking good. You could probably break up the cloak a bit by adding a thin blue line across the bottom?

My Retro Army

My Current Army PLOG

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

Some of the cloaks are still drying from their final wash. The rider in the middle of the front line is the one I completed on Monday. I really dig the smooth blending and dark style, although I can't say it's a very exciting colour scheme. Still, they would fit the theme of the army well.

I could add a blue line, I suppose, but I fear that it might copy the feathers too much (which uses exactly that). Perhaps a white line would work as well? It might make a subtle difference with the horse, which have been highlighted with bleached bone, or palid wych flesh in the end.
I wonder if I should give the feathers a blue wash to give them a dark, subtle blue shine the way a raven's feathers work.

- The stiff breeze

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Corsair

Loving the black cloaks, they really pop! May I ask how you accomplish such a good effect? I've been struggling to make black work for my army.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

Well.... I still feared it was too much black so I went over one with brown :D

For the black, what I did is basecoat it in black (silly but important) then give a very diluted wash of a dark grey. I suppose diluting it with Medium would give better results, but I because of the quantity needed I use water. Then I apply that very very diluted coating in dozens of thin layers. It goes fast since it's mostly water and seems to dry almost as fast as you apply it. For the horse, I simply continued and then added a yellowish white highlight, either a bone or palid wych flesh will do. For the cloak, I wanted them darker so I applied a medium thinned black wash, and then darkened whatever regions I wanted even darker with diluted black.

For the leather cloak I just did, it was even easier. Basecoat steel legion drab. Then a careful (no pooling!) brown wash over the entire cloak. Then darken only the recesses with multiple washes. By using thin layers, it goes fast and there isn't a lot of drying time. I did use one thin layer or black shade to speed up the darkening and reduce the colour saturation a little, but that was basically it.

- The stiff breeze

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

it looks very nice - but IMO Dark riders should be black. But if you are worried about the unit looking to mono tone than that works well!

PLOGS by CultofKhaine
Corsair Ship
Cult of Khaine
Armies on Parade Board

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10