Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:10 am

Forum rules

Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
[PLOG] The Lost Colony 

Which demon should I use?
The dying tentacled demon 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
The Reaper fire demon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

[PLOG] The Lost Colony 
Corsair
Corsair

What about a larger pyre, which higher flames would fill basically the lower third of the flag?
It would kill two bi.. er, I mean, it would achieve both goals to tell it's a phoenix and to fill out evenly the flag (the wings fill enough the top third).

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:46 pm
Highborn

I'm not dead and I have even been painting, even if I'm lazy to take pictures (especially as I'm terrible at photography and the pictures never look good)

At the moment I'm working at more things at the same time, the main ones being the altar I have pledged to do for January painting challenge (not much progress there, unfortunately) and a pegasus hero I need some help with.
The vision we have for pegasus heroes is basically a "harpy hero", they were oiginally elves experimented on by a Chaos sorcerer. They managed to escape, but they remain changed into this form. (They were also the original harpies, what you have already seen is their progeny.)

Anyway, I wanted to depict this one in triumph over a demon, but am not sure how exactly to achieve this effect. At the moment I have two versions and am not sure which one to use, so I would like to turn to you for help.

The first one has a demon sculpted for me by a good friend of mine. The body of the demon is cast in crystallic resin and is slightly transparent. Also, it's very clearly dying, so that's a plus. It was made from fimo in about an hour, so it's not as detailed as most models, though.

Image Image

The second demon is Large Fire Elemental by Reaper. Translucent, drybrushed with colour for painting glass. It's definitely more detailed and probably more striking and dynamic, but I'm afraid it doesn't really look like it's dying. But maybe an epic fight would be okay for the model?

What do you think? Which one would you use? (Or do you have a completely different idea that would make me throw everything out of a window?) I have made a poll, so please vote. :-)
And I'm sorry for the crappy pictures, I hope you can see at least something in them. There will be slightly better ones when the model is finished.

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 pm
Malekith's Personal Guard

I somehow like the first option even while less detail on the deamon. Its very dramatic which is always good I think. Maybe you can even place the hero 1 tentacle lower so the spear is actually piercing the deamons flesh this very moment, giving him the final blow. Also great paint job, which makes the hero stand out more than against the fire elemental deamon.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 am
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

I like the one with the tentacles as well!

PLOGS by CultofKhaine
Corsair Ship
Cult of Khaine
Drow Themed Dark Elf Warhammer Army
Armies on Parade Board

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Corsair
Corsair

Nice to hear back from you, Rowena! :D

I voted the tentacle demon not only for being clearer but also I like better the maritime look than the fire look.

However, I wonder.
If the model is intended for display, then the demon below is perfect.
If the model is for Marchosias to play as a Pegasus hero, then, if I were the opponent, I would regret the demon. Indeed, imagine I play with Empire, demons are a traditional foe, DE are the foe I am fighting currently, what is this demon doing in my battle? Not immersive.

How would your model look on top of a column?
That would be superbly consistent with your marvelous harpies.
And facing that as opponent, I would have no problem to recognize the model as some kind of Lord of the harpies, who uses the rules of Peg Master and it makes perfect sense.

-=-=-
Note also that your demons are way larger than those fought by St Michael in popular representations.
See http://www.le-mont-saint-michel.info/im ... ion.pg.jpg
This makes your model look more like a diorama fight than like one model with its base.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:01 am
Bronze Khaine Winner

I think the tentacle daemon works better if you're going for a diorama, while the fire elemental is better as a scenic base for a tabletop model.

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 am
Executioner

Both look great. I lean towards the first with the tentacles because the elemental seems shinier than the harpy hero.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:01 pm
Highborn

Thank you for all the feedback, those are all great points. It seems the tentacle demon is a clear favourite of the forum. :)

Lord Drakon: I can try the lower tentacle, but I imagine the final blow happened just a few seconds ago and now the heroine is pulling the spear out (at least that's what her pose seems to say, her spear hand is very high) and the demon is melting. It would have to melt super fast if the final blow was to be happening.
But that doesn't mean I'm not going to try it, because if it looks better, who needs realism. !lol!

Calisson: I didn't see the nautical theme before, but now that I do I suppose I would have been disappointed had you voted any other way.
Concerning immersion, you raise a really good point here and I guess it shows I mostly see the army in our display case these days. Our army has Chaos as its main foe (going back to the fluff I never got around to writing) and while the demon is by far the most noticeable, it's a theme also visible elsewhere in the army. If there are more pegasus heroes (and I hope there will, I know of at least one more model that would be perfect for the job), those will be aither on columns or somehow on the ground, but for this one I'm afraid the pose wouldlook strange without a foe (I know, the opponent should provide those, but still)
I tried smaller demons also and found it didn't make the heroine look badass enough, somehow. This thing is supposed to be a dead demon prince, something hard to kill.
Thank you very much for your comments and deep analysis. I may disagree, but it really made me think.

Shadowspite: Is it because the fire demon is a simpler concept with less of a face and maybe less movement? Because while I moight see what you mean, I would be able to see the opposite as well.
The fire demon is not obviously dead (The original idea was for the demon to be bursting into flames after being slayed, a la Rage demons in Dragon Age Origins, but then I realised I won't be able to make this clear enough) and so the whole model could end up looking like a fight with no clear winner yet - something probably more common in dioramas than in tabletop models.

Sabious: Part of it is the photograph (I'm afraid the photograph doesn't do the demon justice), but I put them nextto each other again and the demon really seems a bit glossier.

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 pm
Assassin

@ Calisson: Thank you for replying! You never leave a post unnoticed. :)

You raise an interesting point with immersion. However, complete immersion gets broken regularly. For example:
- The bases. In my area, there is an army with snow bases, an army with desert bases and an army with jungle bases. When any two of those fight each other it is difficult to imagine where they are actually.
- To be honest, it is sometimes difficult to imagine why are two armies fighting, period. The classical example of lizardmen vs wood elves comes to mind.
- Sea monsters (which are often used to represent a kraken / kharibdyss) are not really made to run on ground but we let them do that quite often. Providing them with their own transportable pool is cool but doesn't help with immersion much, either.

Because of that, at least for me personally it is far more important what message the army sends. I really like it when the army has a feel, a character. This can be done with colour scheme, painting, choice of models (see here a beautiful example - army shot around middle of the page) but putting something on the bases is a very strong sign of a theme as well. Because of that, we have all the ruins, several hints to chaos (head of a defeated demon held by our executioner champion, a bloodied barbarian club on the base of a harpy, a lost chariot wheel with an eight point star for another harpy). The demon under the harpy hero is part of this line - far more prominent but really just a continuation of the theme that is everywhere.

On the other hand, I understand you might draw the line between accepted features and breaks of immersion elsewhere. :)

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Ah sorry now I see it Rowena, yes I agree it is great like this. I did missed the blood on the spear until now, to make it even better than it is now you could try darkening the blood (look up GeOrc for inspiration in the plog list) and/or making the wound more visible.

@ Marchosias the link is not working, do you have a picture of it or other link?

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 am
Assassin

@ Lord Drakon: Strange, it works for me. Anyway, linking directly. More images somewhere in the thread I am linking above.

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks, indeed epic! Ah strange, now the fourth try it indeed works, before empty page. Maybe its my internet.

Talking about army shots, what about the Lost Colony so far? :D

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10