[PLOG] The Lost Colony

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Which demon should I use?

The dying tentacled demon
83%
The Reaper fire demon
17%

Total votes: 6

Rowena
Highborn

Re: [PLOG] The Lost Colony

Post by Rowena »

The first executioner is finished. :)

The painting is really simple, even though I have tried to give the metal at least some contrast while keeping it fairly dark. I am also grateful for the weird "skirts" the models have, otherwise there would be nowhere to put our main colour blue.
The sword is meant to be brighter than the rest of the model, to draw attention to it. I'm not sure how much I've succeeded, though.

Anyway, more views:

My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

awesome conversion... really menacing executioner
Death before dishonor
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Now That! is an executioner!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Lord_azoth wrote:awesome conversion... really menacing executioner

xFallenx wrote:Now That! is an executioner!

Thanks for the compliments, menacing was exactly what I was aiming for. As well as unstoppable and cold killing machines. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Wiggen
Corsair

Post by Wiggen »

Looks sweet! and good job on the metallics
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Very cool :)
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

The executioner unit, which has somehow grown from 10 to 15 during painting, is finally finished.
They were nightmare to rank up and I still think the unit is too cluttered, they might easily hurt each other being this close to each other with giant weapons like this, but I guess it will do. Numbered bases are a must, though.

The photos were taken on a different background than I normally use, because I had to take them at a gaming store. Now they're at my boyfriend's place together with the rest of the painted models (the army is getting heavy and I don't like transporting it), so making better photos would be complicated for me.

The champion is based on Dark Eldar Archon with Shadow Warrior head and his swordgreenstuffed to remove the strange holes. The trophy helmet he is holding is either his own original head (oh the irony :D ) or an Incubi head, I'm not sure which, painted up to look like the helmet of some Chaos champion.

The musician is probably originally crew of some Dark Eldar vessel, but I don't know exactly. I asked for Dark Eldar models to go with the Incubi, preferably with static poses, and this is what I got. The horn is from Cold One Knights (the same one I used for my spearelves), the sword is a random Dark Eldar bit.

The standard bearer has the same base as the musician, with Spearelf champion sword and Corsair banner with Spearelf bannertop glued to the bottom. Exactly the same as in the Spearelf unit, I'm trying to keep the army consistent.
And yes, there will be freehand on the banner. Eventually. I'm still designing it and gathering necessary courage.

There are more photos on my blog, but I'm too lazy to copy all of them. :D

And now to finally get some work done on the horses...
My painting blog

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Oh, I do like to use of the Incubi. Very nice.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I take my hat off to you, Rowena!

This is the best Executioner concept I have seen :shock:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I quite agree on the crowding issue - but only from the practical standpoint, aesthetically they look fine.

When you're swinging a 6' sword around, the LAST thing you want is a buddy less than four feet to either side of you. Ideally you want enough room to swing without any possibility of interference. In WFB, that means units with GW really should be skirmishers.

This comes from two decades of 'light' combat groups (the ones that pad the swords instead of the people). I was always most effective with a greatsword when I was on the right end of the battleline, giving me plenty of room to generate power to blast though my opponent's blocks.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Vulcan wrote:This comes from two decades of 'light' combat groups (the ones that pad the swords instead of the people). I was always most effective with a greatsword when I was on the right end of the battleline, giving me plenty of room to generate power to blast though my opponent's blocks.

:shock:

That sounds like serious business!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Vulcan wrote:I quite agree on the crowding issue - but only from the practical standpoint, aesthetically they look fine.

When you're swinging a 6' sword around, the LAST thing you want is a buddy less than four feet to either side of you. Ideally you want enough room to swing without any possibility of interference. In WFB, that means units with GW really should be skirmishers.

This comes from two decades of 'light' combat groups (the ones that pad the swords instead of the people). I was always most effective with a greatsword when I was on the right end of the battleline, giving me plenty of room to generate power to blast though my opponent's blocks.

I can imagine that (and wouldn't want to be anywhere near you, I always gor for the non-combat roles in all my LARPS :) )
When I was ranking the models up I was lucky when they fit at all and sometimes they were almost touching each other. But I am glad you think it's not too noticeable, even with your practical experience. :)

Also, thank you, everyone, for your kind words. :oops: *bows*
The conversion was very easy and fun to make, so I can recomment it to everyone who doesn't like the look of the official models. :)
My painting blog

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

It's not as bad as you might think, once you get the requisite padding on a greatsword it's a lot like getting hit with a pillow...
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

It's been long since my last update. Good news: I'm still alive. Bad news: I've been busy, but in other aspects of my life than Warhammer. School, holidays... you know the drill.

Anyway, the prototype dark rider, shown here ages ago, is finally finished.

I'm still not sure if I'm satisfied with the pose, he seems too bulky for an elf and maybe too hunched forward. Maybe mixing these with the new Wood elf wild rider kit would help? As we need at least two units, I think I'll just make five of these and then decide.

Anyway, I gave him trousers of the same colours our shades are wearing (I like to think of both units as scouts), spear made from the same material as other spears in our army and minimum of metal, to make him look lunar enough. He still has no crossbow and shield, that's coming as soon as I manage to find more time for painting. *sigh*

More views:

Image Image

My painting blog

Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

There is some truly great painting and modeling in this blog! Especially like the overall, consistent theme (that greyish-blue tone is very cool, fitting and something different to the usual DE colors). Lots of great ideas for conversions too. Those harpies are just awesome! If I ever paint more of them I think I`ll nick your idea if you don`t mind :D
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Rakariel wrote:There is some truly great painting and modeling in this blog! Especially like the overall, consistent theme (that greyish-blue tone is very cool, fitting and something different to the usual DE colors). Lots of great ideas for conversions too. Those harpies are just awesome! If I ever paint more of them I think I`ll nick your idea if you don`t mind :D

Thanks for your kind words, I'm very happy you like them. Feel free to use any ideas you like (I do the same sometimes :) ), but be warned, the harpies, while they are my favourite models in the whole army, are very fragile and I¨m constantly afraid they would break somehow. If that wouldn't bother you, go ahead, they vere fun to paint and I would love to see your version. :)
My painting blog

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice update Rowena. Look forward to the next one.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

As someone just embarking on a similar project I've really enjoyed reading through this. So many awesome components, and I love the way you weave together your own story with the paint. The lunar/solar piece is ace.

The harpies are incredible - you've given them so much more style and presence than the standard GW models. Not to diminish all your super conversion and painting work, but along with the Witch Elves they're a testament to a thorough "sourcing strategy"! Raging Heroes is such an amazing company - I keep asking myself how much I am going to play at GW stores, and whether I can get away with a unit of the Mantis or Vestals on their table top! Really like that you're taking time to imagine, source, convert and appropriately paint each unit.

That lake detail is magic too. Really enjoying the exploration of your plans and battle reports too.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Thank you very much! Hopefully there will be more fluff as soon as we finalise it with Marchosias, I would like to post something brief about our history and than maybe some models tying to that. :) The lunar/solar split comes from two ways of dealiting with what we call the betrayal of ulthual, for example and I'm very glad you like it.

The harpies are my favourite models and I'm very sad they're not as good rules-wise as they used to be. And the credit for them should go fully to Raging Heroes (even their fluff, that was created just so we could use the models!) I would say if it's at least a bit possible, go for their models, they're really a pleasure to paint. By the way, they're planning a whole Dark elf army on kickstarter as soon as they can get to it (they said they are hoping for the end of the year, but there might be some unforseen circumstances) and I can't wait!
And yes, sourcing is an important part of our process, after all the models themselves are at least as important as the paintjob and probably much more! We're lucky in the fact that there are no GW stores in the Czech Republic, so we can field whatever we want.

And I'm following your own blog with great interest, I really like your fluff and the cold ones look ace, looking forward to more. :)
My painting blog

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

This is SO overdue, but better late than even later, they say... :)
The conversion that has been giving us headaches ever since the new army book came out is finally done! Hopefully, I'm still not 100% sure about it (one of the reasons for postponing this), but as we have no better ideas and really need warlocks in the army...

They required a lot of looking outside GW, at least for a model that's still composed of parts. The top half is from Reaper (I bought a bunch of their Vale elves from the Warlord range, this should hopefully make for models with matching clothes and different poses), the legs are from Victoria Miniatures and arms are GW (witch elf and Dark eldar mandrake)
I shaved some "victorian detailing" from the legs and lenghtened them, because they seemed too short both compared with glade rider legs and on the model itself.

Anyway, more shots of the model:

My painting blog

Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

The choice of horse is definitly better than the ones supplied with the original Warlocks, ugly beasts hehe.
Looking very much forward to the painted models! :D
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Rakariel wrote:The choice of horse is definitly better than the ones supplied with the original Warlocks, ugly beasts hehe.
Looking very much forward to the painted models! :D

I actually like the creepy horses, they are perfect for one idea of mine... :-) But the wood elf horses are in my oppinion the nicest horses in the whole Warhammer range, the most elegant.
I'm really glad you like the model. The first warlock is already painted, I just have to upload the pictures, so hopefully there will be an update soon.
My painting blog

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Another long overdue post, but... anyway.
First of the warlocks is finally painted. I'm still not sure if he looks awesome enough, but as i still have no better ideas, they're going to stay like this, at least for now.

I tried to make his clothes look a bit like a fantasy version of a military uniform to tie with our "military outpost" fluff. Otherwise just keeping to the same colour scheme, so no big surpruses there.
I also tried to give a slight golden tint to the metal... things on the horse with gryphon sepia wash to show that these guys belong to the solar side, but I don't know if it's even noticeable.

More views:

Image Image

My painting blog

direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I'm a fan of it! The horse is exceptionally well done. The rider is technically sound, but looks more like a peasant with a fancy sword, than a magic user. But that doesn't mean it can't work. As long as it's distinct enough from your dark riders that people can keep them straight, I'm happy with the look.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Wow, I'm really digging the horse, the shading and highlights look very well done!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1