[PLOG] The Lost Colony

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Which demon should I use?

The dying tentacled demon
83%
The Reaper fire demon
17%

Total votes: 6

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] The Lost Colony

Post by Amboadine »

Lovely work there.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

direweasel wrote:I'm a fan of it! The horse is exceptionally well done. The rider is technically sound, but looks more like a peasant with a fancy sword, than a magic user. But that doesn't mean it can't work. As long as it's distinct enough from your dark riders that people can keep them straight, I'm happy with the look.

I have kinda the same issue, he just doesn't look fancy enough for me. I hoped using a mandrake arm would help make him into a magic user, but... Do you have any ideas how to improve him? Because I'm at a loss now. :(

And thank you, everyone, for the praise.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Nothing specific. I might recommend going thru your bits box, and see if you can't find a way to make him look more like a caster somehow. A crystal ball for his free hand, or a staff, or something like that. Reaper makes a sprue of staves and magical gear to add to minis if you don't have anything like that.

Found it - has books and crystal balls too. I had bought this a long time ago, and forgotten that they come together. :)

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Accessories/sku-down/03284
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

I'm liking the warlock :) the horse is especially well painted.

Rowena wrote:
direweasel wrote:I'm a fan of it! The horse is exceptionally well done. The rider is technically sound, but looks more like a peasant with a fancy sword, than a magic user. But that doesn't mean it can't work. As long as it's distinct enough from your dark riders that people can keep them straight, I'm happy with the look.

I have kinda the same issue, he just doesn't look fancy enough for me. I hoped using a mandrake arm would help make him into a magic user, but... Do you have any ideas how to improve him? Because I'm at a loss now. :(

And thank you, everyone, for the praise.

With regards to anymore ideas, maybe try painting some tattoos on the sword arm, or extending the flames with green stuff?
Or if you don't mind changing the models abit, drop the swords all together and add some sheathed ones, then go with both arms casting? I'm terrible at sculpting but I find flames aren't too difficult to sculpt :)
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

I really like him - when you see how much conversion and sculpting is blended together by the paint job it's really impressive. And the scheme blends really well with the rest of your army.

Like others, I think he could do with a little extra zap to show definitely that he's a warlock/magic user. Some great ideas from people above. I'm away for two weeks in the US, but once I'm home could send you anything from the standard warlock kit if you saw something there that fitted your vision and could help on that front.

Edit - oh and the horse is a million miles better than the standard dark steed!
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Thanks for the advice and the link. I don't know how a staff would work with my vision, but I can try it out and at least see how it looks. As for extending the flames, one of the warlocks is definitely going to have both hands above his head with some flames greenstuffed on them and I was thinking of making one shoot a magic effect from his hand that would go way forward. Maybe that would make the unit look better?
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Ah Rowena, I wish I had just an ounce of your amazing imagination. Some great work here, I particularly like the executioners as they as they are so much more dynamic and brooding than the current plastics.

Keep up the good work.
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

That is beautiful work - I love the paint job on the horse. I think the rider needs something extra to make him awesome. Out of good suggestions though :) the GW warlocks hair works, but if you arent doing that or cloaks...What about some sort of banner thing like the feather/wing thing strapped on the back on kislev knights? but not feathers/wings :) something depicting their association to Slaanesh? Don't take that as criticism though, I love the model.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

With hatred ... wrote:Ah Rowena, I wish I had just an ounce of your amazing imagination. Some great work here, I particularly like the executioners as they as they are so much more dynamic and brooding than the current plastics.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the lovely compliments. :oops: The executioners were really easy to do (unlike some other models), feel free to use the idea. :)
My painting blog

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

CitizenKhaine wrote:That is beautiful work - I love the paint job on the horse. I think the rider needs something extra to make him awesome. Out of good suggestions though :) the GW warlocks hair works, but if you arent doing that or cloaks...What about some sort of banner thing like the feather/wing thing strapped on the back on kislev knights? but not feathers/wings :) something depicting their association to Slaanesh? Don't take that as criticism though, I love the model.

I'm taking it as trying to help and I'm *very* grateful for that, I must have spent ages trying to come up with something for the stupid warlocks and I'm still not satisfied. Any and all suggestions are very welcome. Thanks for giving them some thought!
Our warlocks have no connection to slaanesh in their fluff, unfortunately. Our colony was founded to fight Chaos and while many things have changed since then, we have not strayed from our purpose. A cloak might work and I'll google the Kislev knights. Thanks for he tip!
My painting blog

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Thank you again for all your suggestions. I see it as a form of flattery - it is nice our ideas are met with appreciation.

I see the warlocks as a combination of magic users and fighters. They are good mages but not as powerful as the ones one can buy from the hero and lord slots; on the other hand, they are skilled sword-wielders as well. Ideally, I would like the models to represent this. Therefore, while giving them magical staves would indeed make them more awesome, it is something I would like to avoid as the "exceptional fighter" part of them would then not be represented in any way.

And to make it more complicated, they should ideally look like the elite of elites, daring, handsome, loved by all girls in the country. Yes, we demand quite a lot from the models. :D

This discussion has sparkled an idea, though. I like the ideas for bigger and more awesome magical effect that were mentioned (a warlock with a bigger magical flame going from his hand, another with arms raised, forming a spell above his head). Maybe we could have a few "magical" warlocks as described and a few "fighter" warlocks who would be in some cool fighting poses instead. The torsos are from metal, though, so making the warlocks to some crazy acrobatics would probably not be easy.

As already mentioned, we are always open to ideas.
gabrias
Slave on the Altar

Post by gabrias »

This such a wonderfully original army with some great conversions and lovely painting. Its great that you've kept working on it for so long. I'm a complete butterfly when it comes to painting...

As for the Warlocks, I think cloaks might help. In my mind at least they give a more elite, wizardly feel. :D Perhaps you could green stuff them?
Visit my blog at http://axesandarrows.blogspot.co.uk/ for stuff on painting and miniatures gaming.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I have tried adding a cloak to an assembled but unpainted warlock and I think it makes him look much better. I am not sure whether the cloak is not too wrinkly, though. Any thoughts?

Image Image Image Image
My painting blog

Khaleth Blackheart

The cloak works very nicely :) I think it adds what the model was missing.
My criticism is not to do with the wrinkles, more that I think it should be more flowing and up away from the horses back.
If you lifted it, I think it would add more speed and match better with the horses pose and it's tail.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

No, I think the wrinkles on the cloak look absolutely fine.
When you put some colour on it will look okay I believe.

I concur with Khaleth that it might look better a little more flowing.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Yeah - see the horse appears to be in full gallop based on its pose, but the cloak looks flat, as though they're moving more slowly. Otherwise it's great, the wrinkles look natural, you just need it back from the body a bit more to show the motion.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I see what you mean about the flow. The problem is the warlock's hair which isn't flowing and I thought it would look strange to have hair flat on his back and cloak far from it. But I'm not sure and I might try it and see what looks better (when I finish converting another warlock, I am happy to tear the cloak off, but only if it would mean not putting it back on afterwards)
My painting blog

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I agree that because of the hair, Yu can't have the cloak really flowing back.

As for the wrinkles, I think if you try adding second layer of putty here and there over some spots after they are cured, you will find that it really improves the look. It looks to me that the section on either side of the hair could use some more outty sto make it flow more smoothly.

Remember, you can smooth over any transitions between your putty sessions on a cloak after curing with fine sandpaper.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Khaleth Blackheart

How about adding some weight to the cloak so it looks like that's holding the cloak down?
Chains, or another sword sheathed across the back of the cloak?
Or you could try bending the horses tail down a little, so it matches in with everything else, as from what I can see the mane matches closer to the cloak and the hair of the rider.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Lion of Flanders: those are great ideas and I'll definitely try that. Thanks a lot.

Khaeleth: That wouldn't solve the hair problem (the rider just doesn't look like he's going at high speed), but it might look cool anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Bending the tail might be an option (if I can manage) or I can see if I have slower-looking horses than this one. I just grabbed the first one I put my hand on for the photo, I paint them separate.
My painting blog

CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Nice work with the cloak :) I think the idea of the chains to hold it down is a good one, the new dark eldar models have some nice looking chains, check them out.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Really like the cloak - it definitely helps shift the feel of the model towards something capable of the arcane. I can't wait to see it painted, and - not least as I'm going to have to try this soon - love seeing the backstage pictures. The note on the hair and cloak being in sync makes great sense. As someone who lives in Photoshop, that's exactly the type of attention to thoughtfulness I admire.

I can see a little touch up and sanding around the hair/shoulders will help give it a more polished look and set up a base for easier, more realistic painting.

Altogether ace work though.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Small update: I have used greenstuff to make the cloak smoother and it helped a lot, so thanks for that idea. Now just to paint the warlock and see if it's enough. :)
Which brings me to another question. The back of the cloak will be definitely blue, but what about the inner side? It clearly can't be the same colour as the tunic, so... black? Grey? What do you think would work the best?
Also, I have been persuaded to try OSL on the magical fire and hope that will help make the warlock more unique as well.
My painting blog

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

If the outside is going to be blue then I would suggest a lighter colour for the inside to give contrast. A light grey should work nicely and allows some nice shading, rather than black.
Khaleth Blackheart

What colour are you going to do the tunic? I'd second Amboadine and say grey, you could add some runes or patterns in freehand then aswell to the corners.