[PLOG]Emo_Elf's TOW Dark Elf Army Project

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Emo_Elf
Slave on the Altar

[PLOG]Emo_Elf's TOW Dark Elf Army Project

Post by Emo_Elf »

Welcome to my TOW Dark Elf project PLOG.

Project Overview
I used to play Warhammer Fantasy Battles way back in the 1980's and early 90's. My army back in the day was, of course, a Dark Elf host. I dropped out of the Games Workshop scene for about 25 years or so and came back after WFB had been replaced by Age of Sigmar. With the announcement of the relaunch of WFB in the form of The Old World, I wanted an army specifically for that game mounted on square bases. Naturally I wanted to recreating my old army, but with 21st Century miniatures.

I did pick up some AoS era models as part of the BattleBoxes I bought. So there will be an AoS component to the project. I want to dive into the Dark Elves now but I need to wait until more information is released to determine what variants to build and how big each unit will be. There are some things I could start on early and the AoS miniatures will keep me engaged in the mean time.

The project will be in 3 phases. Phase 1 is the AoS Daughters of Khaine army, Phase 2 will be pre-release Dark Elves, as outlined in the background section, and Phase 3 will be post-release Dark Elves to be added to the initial force once we know how it all works. For now, I will be posting my progress on Phase 1.

Dark Elf Host Background Story
Many people like to create a background for their army and a theme to design it around. I have decided to try out the idea for this project. I am still formulating the story, but I feel it should be along the lines of Mengil Manhide's Manflayers, given DE's aren't a supported faction, we might only expect pirate raiders of a mercenary force to be present in the initial TOW setting.

Mengil was a Corsair captain who was abandoned in the Old World along with his men, due to their fleet being forced to withdraw before they could be recovered. He and his follows, the Manflayers, hired themselves out as mercenaries to earn a crust in their new circumstances. So my army would have a background similar to this, but I still need to flesh it out with names and some distinctive story elements. I hope to develop it as I build the army.

The initial Dark Elf army should feature units we would expect to see in a Corsair raiding force. Here is a list of models I have that would make for a suitable force.

Heros
Black Ark Fleetmaster
High Sorceress
Assassin

Core
20x Corsairs (2hw)
10x Darkshards
10x Darkshards

Special
10x Witch Elves
2x Repeating Bolt Throwers

Rare
Hydra

I'd like to add some Dark Riders, but they must wait until we find out about cavalry base sizes. At least this list will give me something to start playing with. My games club has some old WFB miniatures including some High Elves. I will need to organised some movement tray adapters for these models to provide an opposing force.

Phase 1: AoS Daughters of Khaine
The Battle Boxes included some AoS only models for Daughters of Khaine. These are fun models to build and paint and, well, who doesn't like monster girls? I am in the process of building these models for a 1000 point army.

Here are the first two models completed.

The Medusa is a WFB era model but is essential in this AoS army. So I have mounted her on a round base for AoS use.
Bloodwracked_Medusa_Upload.jpg

The next is a Medusai Ironscale.
Melusai_Ironscale_Upload.jpg

That's all for now. I hope to have the remaining DoK units painted over the next few weeks.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: [PLOG]Emo_Elf's TOW Dark Elf Army Project

Post by Calisson »

Wow! Beautiful painting!
Your old brushes shine!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [PLOG]Emo_Elf's TOW Dark Elf Army Project

Post by cultofkhaine »

Cool - looking forward to see this evolve.