Asur Phoenix

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Asur Phoenix

Post by Dalamar »

In my last game against the High Elves, my 10 corsairs with help from a few shades managed to capture a frostheart phoenix! (yes, they got insanely lucky, only losing two in the first round of combat and putting 2 wounds on the phoenix with SnS, then in the second round of combat, shades who came in from behind to support lost 4 models but I did 2 more wounds and with rear charge I won that combat by 1 point and the phoenix broke! Slaver special rule came into effect making the phoenix reroll a 5 into a 2 and I ended up with a trophy phoenix!)

Now I'm wondering, Is there anything we could use the phoenix as if I were to buy the model? Alternative Hydra with long chains embedded in its wings forcing it to fly in short bursts and making it unable to fly long distances so it won't run away? Alternative to a dragon mount?

Corsair unit filler spanning its wings above the unit? :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Re: Asur Phoenix

Post by Ilmaestro »

Nice work on capturing it! They are normally so tricksy, those damn high elves, but I'm sure you'll break it's spirit :)

I'm planning to use one as a hydra proxy, I feel it fits better with my army background and fluff and I think it suits the model best. I guess an alternative dragon mount could work also, it's pretty damned big after all!

And yes, yes, a million times yes to the unit filler idea! I actually really like the image of it chained in their service, or maybe even in nets on the ground, as if they just captured it??
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

In nets on the ground it would make a filler taking up more space than the entire unit :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

I think the Corsairs would have skinned and eaten it, yumm tastes like chicken. So perhaps a roast skelleton made out of skelleton horse ribs and the head and feathers and feet from the phoenix.

You could then have some feathers on the unit banner as a memory of their great moment.
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

Use it as a hydra. Get yourself some thin chain and have the chains go from the beastmasters fists to the phoenix. That would look badass and a loose chain would still allow you to move the beast masters around the models.
Cade Thanal (TN: Gaelus Stormscythe) (Group 38 warrior)
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5
Equipment: Light Armor, Short Sword, Repeating Handbow (9/10), Helmet, Asur Short Sword, High elf Mage-prince pelt, Lion pelt cloak, Sword belt with gold buckle and sapphire, 10 gold
Skills: Disguise

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2
Equipment: Glaive, medium armor, shield
Skills: Endurance

Taldein, the Draich'Arha (CC Thread)
WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Draich (EP4), Helmet (EP1), Pendant
Skills: Power of Ulgu (1)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

What about as a Manticore (combat character) or Dark Peg (sorceress)?

Not as fluffy as the other suggestions - I like the corsairs with their netted budgie! - but possible in-game options...

...and with the Sorceress option, you could plead scrolls of binding!

Also: if you buy the box set then the alternative head could be part of your new corsair standard!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Jarvax
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Jarvax »

Kargan daemonclaw wrote:I think the Corsairs would have skinned and eaten it

Hell no! Too valuable asset to... just... eat. Although it would taste like chicken.

I support the hydra replacement too. With chained wings as you mentioned.

I like the "what you accomplished in past battles affects the army" idea. It adds depth to it. I always said that if and when I start doing battles with my army, I will add skulls, broken weapons or severed heads at the bases of miniatures that do something meaningful in a battle. For example if a lordling kills the opponent orc general I'll add to his base a severed orc head or a broken choppa.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Have you considered just getting some of the parts online, and adding them to the unit standard? Some really big ice feathers tied to the unit standard makes a heck of a statement...