{Plog} The Kindred of the Last Briar

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

{Plog} The Kindred of the Last Briar

Post by Maesltrom »

Hello all

I've recently embarked upon my latest army project, a Dark Wood elf themed list using Dark Elf rules.

The model range is mostly Wood elf although i'm using bits from all over including a fair amount from the Hordes line 'Circle of Orobos'.

* disclaimer!: I know the models are Wood Elves but its a Dark Elf army I promise! There will be counts as Hydras, peg riders and all that jazz

Don't get too excited,my modelling and painting (and photography) skills are decidedly average. I'm mostly going to be updating this regularly purely to motivate myself to get this project done! Personally i'm really looking forward to developing this, the WE model range is brilliant and having recently borrowed a DE army from a friend for a tournament i'm really enjoying the DE playstyle.

I'm also writing up my own fluff for the first time so i'll be (hopefully) putting up regular additions of that too.

So without further ado, the intro fluff the first models i've converted for the army! Counting as spearmen this unit will undoubtedly be the most converted unit in the army (bits from 5 different kits!) and i'll hopefully get the unit finished in the next couple of weeks.

There are threats abound to the woods of the Old World. Men and dwarves chop them down for forges and homes, Orcs, for the sheer joy of destruction. Skaven and chaos seek to twist and pollute them to their own ends. The Elves of Ulthunan and Naggarythe have forsaken them caring only for their own wellbeing and pleasure. Only the Elves who live side by side with the trees care for them and protect them.

Yet there is corruption and strife within the woods. Ariel of Athel Loren has turned her back on them. She cares not for the Arden or the Drakwald or the forests of Albion. The frozen woods of the north or the sweltering jungles of lustria do not enter into her selfish head. She cares only for her own skin. Yet all is not lost, there are still some who truly wish to save the forests, who fight to purge those who would defile the groves.

The treeman Coeddil was one of these champions. He sought to rouse the forest, to rally the trees, to protect the roots. For his actions he was banished by the so called Queen of the woods.

Dismissed as mad and twisted by many, some took the treemans example and realised the fight must be taken to those who threaten bark and branch, realised that Ariel has failed in her duty to protect the woodlands.

The spell singer En’Ail Ora found a way to commune with Coeddil and ally himself and the Kindred of the Last Briar to his cause. A master of the way stones En’Ail and these brave elves travel through hidden pathways to battle any who would seek harm to the woods of the Old World.

Aided by the spirits and beasts of the wildwood, the Kindred of the Last Briar deals death without mercy for even the slightest insult to the forest. There is no appeal to their judgement.

Death has become their companion. Gone is the compassion and merriment of their woodland cousins. The Last Briar have embraced the shadow and use it for their own ends. They have crossed the cursed waystones into Coeddil’s domain. All that matters is the life of the wood. Any who harm the trees or has benefited from their destruction are guilty. The Last Briar will find them and they will wish for death.

Any and all criticism/comments will be warmly received! Feedback is the only way i'm going to get better :)
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Re: {Plog} The Kindred of the Last Briar

Post by Gnosis »

Hmm... You've got some excellent poses there, but I'm afraid the contrast between the rough wooden shields and the high-tech armour puts me off.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

First thing's first - welcome to Druchii.net! :D Now, onto business...

I like the idea of this army, it sounds like it could be really cool and gives you a lot of opportunity to make something unique. The background fluff is great, I really like the link back to an infamous wood elf 'hero', and I think that it works well. As for the models - great start! I think the GG heads and capes work well, and the running legs pose fits with the theme of a wood-elfy army that is used to fighting amongst the trees as well as out on the plains. I have to agree with Gnosis though - the wooden shields don't really work. IMHO, there are two main issues.

First, I think that, as said previously, the conflict between a structured, metallic plate-mail style armour and a rough wooden shield doesn't quite sit well with me - I'd almost be inclined to swap out the torso for maybe the GG one instead, and maybe add the shoulder pauldrons (only one on each) to make it a bit more dark-elfy?

Second, I think the shape is wrong for them. The large, circular shield doesn't really fit with the sleek and nimble style of the elves, though that one is definitely up for debate - I guess it might just be because I haven't seen it before that it looks a little odd, however I would at least consider making them a little smaller if you definitely want to keep them.

As a side note, part of me says that a group of elves that is so dogged about their beliefs to protect the forest wouldn't use planked wood ;) but I'd be willing to let that one slide, cause I think that if you sort out the armour/wood issue, it would actually be really cool to have them with the wooden shields!

Anyway, I hope that helps somewhat. I do quite like where this is going, and am probably being far too critical - it's an awesome start, and I can't wait to see more!
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

So far this looks nice. I'm agreeing with what's been said about the shields and armour, though. Shields are made from fresh wood, since dead wood would break too easily, and these elves would never dream let alone dare to make armour from fresh cut wood. Nor would they wear metal armour, I will add, since they'd require burning wood to work the metal.

The shields may have to be swapped for something with a smoother surface, IMHO. The armour, though, has a simpler solution. Can you paint the armour so it looks to be made out of leather rather than out of metal?
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The Good
The posing of the models looks good. I think a unit of these rushing at an opponent would definitely get his attention.

The Bad
Decidedly un-elvish to the point I'm not even sure what unit these are. Shades are my best guess but they don't have shields. Corsairs?? Also not a fan of the pieces that don't match.

The quality of the conversions looks good but there isn't much about these I like. High tech armor with barbarian shields with (sorry Wood Elf players) odd-looking elf heads isn't pulling this one together. An elvish horde rushing forwards screaming for your blood is a great idea but I've got little love for these ones. Sorry, I know I'm harsh but I'd rather you hear it now than 25 models later..
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

:O excellent point about the fluff not supporting the use of wooden shields! Didn't think of that. My hope for the fluff is to make the elves very ends justify the means, I actualyl almost like the hypocritical use of trees to protect themselvs so they cna protect the trees :D

Possibly they don't want to see the wood go to waste once its chopped down? They could have attacked a logging camp and salvaged the already felled trees?

I really love the shield models so i'm quite reluctant to bin them completely. The ungor ones (the current ones are gor) are a little smaller so those could work instead.

I'm with you guys on the contrast of metal armour to wooden shields, I was always planning on painting the armour as leather. I should have a couple done by the end of the week.

@Phier the unit are just warriors with shields. The Glade rider capes have spears attached to them (although only 8/10 of the models will have spears as not all the capes do, shame.)
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

The possibility of using Ungor shields did leap to mind yesterday when first viewing your pictures. Regarding the armour, I would advise you to cut away the raised futuristic detailing, and to use liquid greenstuff to fill in the 'sunken' detailing. There also seems to be a grenade on the model in the fourth picture... best remove that kind of equipment.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

Ok managed to get some work done on the tester models. Still working on them but pretty happy with the colours and the way they go together. Again though, any comments and criticisms are welcome!

NickKendall
Slave on the Altar

Post by NickKendall »

Cool concept and I like where the scheme is going. The only thing I'd add is that, while your skin tone is selling Dark Elf well, it's not acting as a coherent part of the overall model. With such warm hues, try mixing a warmer purple like warlock into your skin or, if you want skin that isn't the focal point, a colder glaze of blue/cold purple. Either of these will help tie your model together a bit more cohesively than the ashen grey you have now.
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

The hope was that the armour/clothes would be a more standard wood elf look while the flesh was to reflect this descent into evil and their embrace of shadow. I guess if I need to explain it that much it's not working! :D ill give the purple a go

Not done much painting but got some unit fillers to show off.

Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

I think it's a nice army of autumn themed wood elves you have got going. It looks too much like a wood elf army to be convincing as dark elves and it will be very confusing for opponents if you are using bows as repeater crossbows.

If you want to use wood elf models, you need to make them really OTT rejection of Wood Elf standard schemes so blood red facial tattoos, purple and blue colours, silver metal armour, maybe like the legion of everblight colours from Hordes to make them look dark and sinister.

I'd also replace the bows with Rxbs, and replace the crude wooden shields with something more elegant and elfish (like the dark elf shields). If you used DE shields you could then paint them with logos of burning trees and dead plants to show their rejection of their Wood Elf roots.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Nice work on those unit fillers, they look ace! And I actually quite like the skin colour for them, I agree that it makes them a little less wood elf, so I would keep it!

As for the proxies, I don't really see the issue tbh. It's not like your bow-wielding elves could be anything other than repeater crossbowmen, and as long as you make sure your opponent is not confused, there really shouldn't be a problem. I much prefer theme and originality personally, and seeing as I don't really play in tournaments and just play for fun, I have never found a problem with using proxies/conversions, as long as they are explained first. Anyway, I just don't like it when people use the 'it's too confusing' line - use some imagination people, we are playing a fantasy game after all! :D

Outburst aside, I think you should keep on as you are, these models are turning out really well with a lot of individual character, so I can't wait to see how they look as units!
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Ilmaestro wrote:Nice work on those unit fillers, they look ace!

Outburst aside, I think you should keep on as you are, these models are turning out really well with a lot of individual character, so I can't wait to see how they look as units!

Those are my opinions as well.
Sure, it'll be a little confusing & tedious to explain at every battle & tourney you go to & you'll have loyalists moaning about how it's not this or that, but at the end of the day they are basing those opinions on their interpretations of how things are "supposed to be" Bollocks to conformity & Kudos for coming up with an idea that is against the grain.

I look forward to hearing more on your background and inspiration to go this direction. Please feel free to share.

Bit o house cleaning:
This is a painting & modeling forum where we’re all free to do as we wish with the pieces of our choosing. It is my hope to see more constructive criticisms to the skill evolution of the artist for what it is & not what “it should be”. Thank-You for understanding.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

Having seen people use one range of models to represent another, they then spend the armeis entire playing experience explaining that these are actually dark elves and not wood elves.

After the 100th time of going these are not wood elves the owner gets very sick of it.

People will expect to see models that look like the GW models and are recognisably wysiwig.

As I said it's a very nice tabletop autumn wood elf army. It's got some interesting back story that some people will appreciate.

If your gaming group like this sort of thing then it will be well recieved.
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate you mentioning any issues you see playing against the army. It will really help me address them for my future opponents :)

This will be a tournament list and I plan on putting together a semi ornate army list together with fluff on one side and the list with explanations for each unit on the other side.

Not been able to do much painting recently but got some more wip stuff and hopefully get some more fluff done soon.

The head honcho himself Spellsinger En’Ail Ora

Dark riders

Harpies (I know these guys are a little lower than the regular models but Ill give my opponent the benefit of the doubt and lretend they are a half inch higher for los)

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

The spellsinger looks wonderfull, I really like the conversion you have done on him. Glade Riders are just lovely models (I'll probably use them as well if I ever need Dark Riders) and using spites as harpies is a great idea.
So, well done, I look forward to seeing them all painted. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

Thanks for the input! More fluff below

DESCENT INTO THE SHADOWS, THE FIRST STEPS ON THE TRUE PATH

En'Ail had shown an affinity with the forests and a special connection to the spirits that inhabited it from an early age. The normally capricious sprites and fairies would nestle on his shoulders and happily carry messages and reliver information to him. His aptitude for magic was just as powerful as his connection to the forest and he became one of the more powerful mages in the Last Briar.

While out riding with some of the other members of the kindred En'Ail encountered a clearing full of fresh stumps. The sight of the loss of the trees of Athel Loren pained all the elves in the party but En'Ail was overcome and collapsed to his knees weeping. Through his sobs he heard the faint whisper of a sprite that had survived the desolation. Cradling the creature in his arms he held it to his ear so that with its last breath it could name it's murderers. Dwarves from the mountain.

Armed with this information and rage burning in his soul En'Ail went back to his kindred intending to rally them and overcome the lumberjacks before they returned to their mountain stronghold. He rode into the settlement and screamed the tragedy at the top of his lungs, demanding that any true friends of the forest immediately take up their bows and come with him to kill the interlopers. Incensed by the loss of the trees and inspired by En'Ail's words the settlement became a hive of activity as warriors readied for war.

Just as the band were about to ride out the Kindred chief, Spellsinger Per'Deor and the elders of the village arrived to stop them. The old Mage was cautious and did not want to risk the lives of any elves, what the dwarves had done was done he said, and they were already heading back to their stronghold.

Shocked by his words En'Ail flew into a rage and lashed out at Per'Deor with a flash of amber magic. The canny wizard deflected the blast and demanded En'Ail submit and swear allegiance as a show of fealty. Instead the hotheaded young elf snarled an insult at his leader and challenged him for leadership of the Kindred.

Empowered with rage at the callousness of his kindred and their refusal to protect the forest En'Ail surprised Per'Deor with his ferocity. Using dark magic learned from the whispers of the roots of the gnarled trees in the south of Athel Loren En'Ail sucked the life from Per'Deor.

Despite the brutality of his actions the kindred saw the zeal En'Ail had for protecting the forest and were inspired. They sided with him and swore to avenge the forest at all costs.

En'Ail led the kindred after the dwarves but the delay caused by Per'Deor had given them enough time to return to their mountain stronghold.

Unwilling to let the dwarves get away with their atrocity, using way stones En'Ail transported himself to Aeriel's grove and begged her to rouse the forest to smash down the doors of the dwarves fortress.

He argued and begged through the night but he could not convince the queen of the forest to raise the call to arms. She, like Per'Deor, could not see the point of revenge and prized the lives of elves and spirits over her sacred duty to serve the living forest.

En'Ail grew angry at this betrayal of the woodland realm and started hurling insults at the queen and her council. Unmoved by the spell singer's passion Aerial ordered him back to his Kindred and declared the matter closed. He left with despair weighing him down.

Disillusioned with the leadership of the Wood elves En'Ail swore to not let their narrow-mindedness stop him protecting the forest in future. His path was straight, his mind cleared, the Wood Elves had become fat and complacent they did not care for the forest anymore they could not be relied upon to protect it. He would gather those who truly wanted to save the forest.

He turned his eyes south, to the wildwood, to the dark spirits there that truly wanted to defend the woods. He would seek an audience with Coeddil
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

This is great! Love the theme, love the fluff! I personally dislike the DE executioner models and am hoping to use some of the glade guard hooded heads to make badass executioners in cloaks/capes with huge swords. Hooded woodland execs would be awesome!

Happy modeling!
-JGB

Ps. I'm very much looking forward to watchig this army evolve so keep 'em coming!
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Lord Aenarion
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord Aenarion »

GREAT STUFF!!!

Keep em coming :)
Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

Thanks for the encouragement! I've almost got a unit of archers done and will hopefully get some pics up next week.

This fella will be my cauldron bsb. The idea is that the spirit of the forest travels with the Kindred and galvanises them.

The standing stone circle will have water effects in the middle to make it look like a portal and I'll use paper clips and green stuff to form bursts of energy coming through the portal, voila, cauldron blessings!

Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

Here's an almost finished archer/crossbow men unit most of the bases were testers and I think I've settled on a mix I like so I will redo those and paint the hair (still thinking of how to do that, suggestions welcome). I'm painting this army for a tournament in Cardiff and mid December is actually a lot closer than I though so I'm going to have to focus on just getting paint on all the models first the, coming back for highlighting and the like.

Maesltrom
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maesltrom »

3 posts in a row! Hope that's ok mods :)

I've really enjoyed painting up this hydra/golem of stone more fluff will follow in the week!

MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Golem looks pretty cool. I am only a beginner painter, but a dark wash (some contrast) or some moss on him might take it over the top.

Keep up the good work and inspiration to us modelling newbs!
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

You wouldn't think it evil to kill a million termites eating your house.. wood elves don't think they are evil for killing the pests destroying the forest.

My only criticism would be the rough wood shields. It would be much more likely they would use shields made of stretched leather/hides.. even if it were stretched over thinner strips of wood. The size is also wrong.

I also think you are a little premature in playing them as a dark elf army. You may find as soon as the new WE book comes out you want to convert back.