PLOG! A first for me.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: PLOG! A first for me.

Post by Amboadine »

That cudgel will look immense. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

OK, so first observation as we start seeing what is possible with orcs is a confirmation of that which we already know, i.e. that Brian Nelson is awesome. We all knew that he sculpts brilliant figures, but now we learn that parts from different orc kits work very well together with other kits which is really nice. In this case, it is arms from the savage orc box fit very nicely on the boar boy torsos.

So here is Ünglük more or less assembled other than his head and some weapons/doodads that might be added later. He has been repositioned so as to more upright on his boar compared to the boar boys who are very crouched down and "aero" on their boars (which is very cool, I think as it gives a terrific sense of motion to the figures). in Ünglük's case, he is a hero and doesn't worry about petty stuff like crouching down to avoid missile fire, etc. (that's for wusses). As he is a Big Boss and a Black Orc to boot, I thought that he needed to be a bit beefier, so he has been through a bit of a strength and conditioning program. Round two of the 'roid program will be applied after the head is positioned and I decide how many armor plates and bits he will have on his shoulders.

ImageImage
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great conversion work. Looking forward to see the Boss.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

So Ünglük is ready for his head and another shoulder plate (from the boar boy kit)...he'll get a shield on that left arm after paint....

Meanwhile, while putty cures, I have set to work on some Orc Biguns that will be cobbled together with torsos and heads from Kromlech.eu and MaxMini.eu. Here are the excellent heads that I'm using...

....and the bodies...fairly EZ to remove a few 40kish bits here and there...They still have some complexity to their armor, but I think they will look plenty fantasyish once they are finished.

That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Filthy Orcses!

OK, so Ünglük is pretty much done....he'll get a fix to his neck/traps at the back of the helmet but that's it, unless I decide he needs more armor which is unlikely:

ImageImage

Meanwhile, bitz are being assembled (thumbs up for Bitzarium, BTW if anyone is keeping track of who the better online bit shops are) and a lil' gang of Biguns and a few Black Orcs are being cobbled together from random bitz from random places...

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Conversions coming along nicely! Those heads will definitely add some character.

I'm finding a reliable bits supplier increasingly hard to come by - I have been looking for some Glade rider legs for my Dark Riders for over a month now and still nothing. Hoard O Bits use to get all my business but these days they are completely sold out. Some of the other suppliers I have also found their prices really expensive - makes it hard for converting units.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I'm excited to see how these bits come together in your hands. Looking forward to the finished article :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Cultofkhaine wrote:I have been looking for some Glade rider legs for my Dark Riders for over a month now and still nothing. Hoard O Bits use to get all my business but these days they are completely sold out. Some of the other suppliers I have also found their prices really expensive - makes it hard for converting units.

I'll have to check, but I think that with our conversion plans changing, I might have some spare ones. How many do you need?

And yes, it's a real pain to get any bits these days. There are many things I need and haven't been able to find anywhere and two or three things that are in only one of the bitshops and I usually don't want to pay postage for just one tiny bit. I wonder what has happened? :(
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

So the Boyz are done and ready for priming. They were a fun break from the perfection that must be elf girls. The boyz with empty left hands will get shields after painting.

and Üngük's as yet unnamed Boar:

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

So I needed two more Black Orcs to round out my big ol' unit. To illustrate how far I've come from the guy who once never used any plastic....I actually have a box of 10 metal black orcs...and went online to purchase bitz to make two plastic ones instead. Anyway, they were fun to paint, as orcs are and doubly so, since its been many years since I've done any....

ImageImageImageImage
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Very nice - that metal looks sweet!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Cultofkhaine wrote:Very nice - that metal looks sweet!

Thanks! I've been doing a number of things differently recently with metals as I saw it as something that I could do more with in my earlier stuff. Its rather fun.

Meanwhile, continuing my leisurely pace in these lazy days of summer, here is Gouger, Ünglük's big ol boar:

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great looking boar.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

So Ünglük 2015 is finished. Evidently, GW will be calling him and his ilk "Orruks" in the future. I think he will remain an Orc.

ImageImageImage

Now...off to work on the new biguns....
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Sweet - that's what I call a Great Weapon!

Nice check pattern as always and inspiration for me to get paint on more models :D
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great looking Orc.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK so the orcs are all ready to go for an event that starts Friday. I added some shields to the existing Black Orcs unit:

Orcs are fun + Pirates are fun = Awesome :D

....for a total of eight new Biguns...

ImageImage
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice Pirate hat!

I don't like the bases though - what are you using for them? They look very old school.

At the moment I think they detract from the excellent pain job.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Cultofkhaine wrote:Nice Pirate hat!

I don't like the bases though - what are you using for them? They look very old school.

At the moment I think they detract from the excellent pain job.

Yes, the bases are done to match the rest of the army most of which is 15+ years old. No way round this problem save for rebasing 200+ figures... :D
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Ahh - all for a good reason then.

You could take the plunge and go all round bases - I hear it's quite fashionable at the moment :P
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Hey All: I haven't done any DE stuff for a while (or indeed any WFB stuff since GW blew the world up). I've been (while waiting for RH Kickstarter) doing some D&D stuff for a campaign that I'm running for my kids and their friends. I'll post some photos shortly of the stuff I've been at (most of it is still secret cuz they haven't got there yet :D ). Meanwhile, here's a look at what I'm up to at the moment...having decided that I need some more buildings.....multiple things in progress here...

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Air brush advice

Also: I'm looking to jump in and buy an airbrush. I know nothing whatsoever about them and am in need of some advice. I am willing to accept a learning curve to get something that will produce the best results, and I definately will pay up to buy quality, durability, ease of etc.

Any insights appreciated.....
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Sorry don't have much input for the airbrush. I have an Aztec I have been meaning to use on some Slaanesh models for a while now - might give it a try soon.

Good to see you doing some more painting - need some more inspiration around here!
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Ultimately your choice will come down to price and availability. You've mentioned money isn't a problem so we can move swiftly along to the second criteria. Make sure you're able to pick up spare parts for either the compressor or 'brush as at some point you'll have to service the equipment.

Regarding the compressor: the more you can spend the better. Most are apparently just rebranded at customs as they enter from China. :? A tank is essential. An $100 compressor will suffice if you just want to base coat and spend a little time painting. If you're serious then the professional models are upwards of $300-400, and will allow you to paint all day.

The airbrush: buy at least a named brand's entry model, around $100, something like a Badger 105 or H&S Ultra 2in1. A swanky brush will weight in at $200+. Everyone has their own favourite so its more a personal choice, tbh. As you're based in the US then perhaps Badger is your best choice?

And needlewise: .3-.4 is for laying down base coats and such. A .2 is for really fine work.

Other important stuff: remember you'll need airbrush cleaner, brushes, stand, fast-release attachment and hose, and mask. The extras will add a good chunk to your purchase so include them in your budget. ;)

A $200-300 investment will set you up very nicely. If you spend more then you're obviously be rewarded long term.