PLOG, Elves of the Pale Tower

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Hillbilly Carl
Corsair

Re: PLOG, Elves of the Pale Tower

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

Slapped some paint onto the display board last night.  I still have to add snow and grass but even if I don't manage to do that before Friday I can still use it now so that's a relief.  I made it to fit all my dark elf models, not just my 2400 point tournament army.  It's made on the underside of an under-bed storage container so I can snap the container over the army for transport.  The little details are from an old basing kit I must have bought a while back and never used until now.  

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice work on the board. Looking forward to seeing all the army arranged on it.
Hillbilly Carl
Corsair

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

Here's the army shot on the board.  I'm extremely pleased with how it came out.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice indeed :)
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Very intimidating!! I would hate to be across the battlefield and staring down that thundering horde!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Looks great, especially the way the board blends together with the bases.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Hillbilly Carl
Corsair

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

Thanks everyone! I played a league game with this army last night against a pretty tough lizardman army and I managed to squeak out a win in the last turn of the game. Noteworthy events from the game were:

- double soulblight on a unit of saurus on the same turn that I charged them with cold one knights and warlocks. 25 saurus died in a single turn.
- Scourgerunner took down a bastilodon!
- cold one chariot tried to charge through a forest, of course I rolled a 1 for dangerous terrain and then a 6 for the number of wounds. so much for that.
- Master on dark pegasus took down a skink chief on a stegadon.
- Slaan poked my cold one knight champion in the eye in a challenge and killed him.
- Same Slaan failed 2 7+ break tests in the last turn, died and gave me the win.

This was a playoff game, I now have to face a dwarf army that I have a 0-4 record against this league. If I manage to win that I'll be into the finals facing the winner of a Daemon/Dwarf matchup. I'm off to the tournament today so the game last night was a good warmup. I'll let you know how I do!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Yep, this army is really cool. The board looks great, the snow looks great. Further, I'll bet that this is one of those armies that looks even better the closer you get to it and photos have a hard time doing it justice.

Well Done!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

The board makes such a fantastic display - love how it's all blended together. I missed your Pegasus update somehow - really like your work there. Again, seamlessly blended with the whole force, and he has a superbly "butch" feel, whilst still being obviously Druchii. Great work.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Good stuff once again. I love cool display boards -- looking forward to pics.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Hillbilly Carl
Corsair

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

Thanks again, I don't have any real picture updates but I realized that I had promised some reports from the tournament and had not yet delivered.

Game 1 was against Nagash. He also had 2 terrorgeists and a casket of souls, a horde of ghouls, some wolves and 2 units of 25 zombies. The scenario was blood or glory so his only 2 banners were in his zombie units. I figured I might have a chance, all I had to do was pick off a unit of zombies and the victory would be mine. Unfortunately, Nagash is really good at summoning units. twice in the game he summoned a horde of crypt horrors (my cold one knights made short work of them and the horde of ghouls but that just meant that they weren't getting through to the zombies. Meanwhile my dark riders were trying to do the heavy lifting and actually they did pretty well, I got both units of zombies down to 5 models but he kept using his terrorgheists to scream away my units before I could put the finishing blows to them. In the end he realized that I had no magical attacks and started raising ethereal stuff which effectively ended my advance and the game. Massacre to him but it was close.

Second game was against High Elves. He had a lot of shooting and he got first turn which meant that a lot of my units of fast cavalry were dead or severely weakened before I got to do anything. He also had a loremaster who made great use of the signature spell from the lore of metal. My cold one knights never had a chance. I made a go of it but winning was pretty much out of reach before I even got my first turn. Massacre loss.

Third game didn't go much better. I was up against a douchebag with a Nurgle Daemon army with 2 skullcannons. He turtled in the corner so I couldn't manouver around him and my dice were not very friendly. My opponent was not a fun guy to play against and I watched him make very liberal measurements in his favour and "bump" dice. The worst thing about that is he didn't need to cheat to win but he did anyway. The daemon winds of magic effects killed most of my cold one knights and I was happy when the game was over. Massacre loss.

Last game was against another undead legion army featuring Nefarata, a casket of souls, 2 screaming skull catapults, a horde of tomb guard led by a tomb king and a smattering of other stuff. I walked all over this army. I advanced quickly and started picking off the stuff on the flanks, working my way to the chewy tomb guard center. In the end he had nothing left on the table and I had only lost a unit of cold one knights and a cold one chariot. Massacre win.

I enjoyed 3/4 of my games and despite the losses I think I enjoyed my first two games the most. I was so close to winning the game against Nagash and the High Elf opponent was such a joy to play against that the outcome didn't even matter. In the end I placed somewhere in the middle of the 30-player field and got third in sportsmanship. Looking at the points I got 22 out of a possible 24 points for sportsmanship so I'll take that. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get anything for presentation but there were some amazingly painted armies at the tournament and I think the winner for presentation definitely deserved it.

In other news, I squeaked out a win against the dwarf player in my playoff semifinal game so I'm into the final! That game will likely not be played until the 15th because my opponent is from out of town and won't be in until then.
Hillbilly Carl
Corsair

Post by Hillbilly Carl »

Since my Dark Elf army is complete (until I decide to add more) and I already have pictures of my High Elves on here, I figured I might as well complete the Elf Trifecta and post pictures of my Wood Elves as well. I don't have pictures of the whole army but here are some highlights:

Warhawks:

Treeman built from the citadel wood kit as well as some odds and ends I had laying around:

Eagle:

Wild Rider:

And the whole army shot:

Next on my painting table are a unit of mounted yeomen, a High Elf Dragon, a treeman and a British/Canadian Flames of War Airborne Army. We'll see which wins out and actually sees the paintbrush first!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Congratulations on making the final. Glad you got a few enjoyable games in and well done on the high sportsmanship score.

Lovely work on the Wood elves too.