[PLOG} The Great Crusade of Har Ganeth

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Thetosh
Black Guard

Re: [PLOG} The Great Crusade of Har Ganeth

Post by Thetosh »

Yeah, I regret the amount of blood on them actually, but i'm not really sure how easy it'll be to go back and fix it considering the consistency of the 'Blood for the Blood God'. Will have a think.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Tbh, I don't think the bloodied weapons is at all a big deal. Having worked a lot in an operating theatre, I can tell you right now that blood goes EVERYWHERE and stays there, so having it on the swords isn't really a problem I think.

Having said that, given the previous statement, I think there should be a little more blood on other areas of the models. Have you ever cut your finger before? Or knocked your head and got a little laceration? Notice how it seems that blood ends up on every single item of clothing you have? I guess if the swords have that much blood on them, I would expect spatters of it everywhere else. From a modelling point of view, I think you could balance the whole aesthetic out a lot by adding some blood spatters on clothing/armour/ground, without having to go too overboard.

Hope that helps! Loving these models btw, keep it up!
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Looks good! Not to be a party pooper, but I'm with Cal about the blood. With swords raised like this it would be pooling about the hilt & the armour would be absolutely covered in it. To do so would make a mockery of your amazing armour, so I would leave it as is or at most, re-paint the swords...maybe keep the champs as is and add a unit filler of some poor stump necked schmuck laying on the ground.
Either way, your painting is pretty damn fine, keep up the good work!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

I wouldn't worry too much about it, they look very nice as is I think.
Although you could just flick slightly on the armor if you want to, but thats as far I'd go with it.
(they are so good at hacking, they can control the flow and not mess their sweet armor :D )
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Thetosh, what are you using on your basing there?
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

That's just the Stirland Mud texture paint at the moment, with Rhinox hide for the edges. Eventually I'll add some highlights and grass but not sure what to do just yet.

Sorry there's not been any updates recently, works been pretty busy. All 30witch elves are built though as are 10 sisters of slaughter. Looking to make a start on the witches next week.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Apologies, I should have probably been more clear. What highlights did you use on the movement trays?
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Oh!

They were base coated Scorched Brown, Drybrush Bestial Brown, Lighter Drybrush Graveyard Earth, very very light Drybrush Bleached Bone. Then Scorched Grass :)
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Appreciated! I have some Scorched Brown on the way so will give it a try.
treeapple
Warrior

Post by treeapple »

Very nice unit. I like the blood on the blades. Looking forward to more pics! :)
Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nazgolith »

Hey I gotta say the blood looks really cool man - as others have pointed out perhaps not extremely realistic but from an aesthetic point of view I think it's great - works really well with the red. I wouldn't sweat it.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Well so it really has been a while, but I have at least been making progress on the Great Crusade. And have the following progress to report.

Crone Hellebron and her Cauldron of Blood - 50%
Tularis Dreadbringer - Finished
Death Hag BSB - Undercoated

Bleaksword Unit - 30/30
Darkshard Unit 1 - 10/10
Darkshard Unit 2 (code-name binky!) - 10/10
Witch Elves - 20/35 (with 5 still needing an undercoat.)

Executioners of Har Ganeth - 30/30

Sisters of Slaughter - 0/20 (All Assembled)

While I admit to being nervous about starting the Sisters, and finishing the two characters, I am still really loving this project and am very much looking forward to being able to sort some army-wide shots soon. I can also report that they've fared exceptionally against our betrayer kin from Ulthuan (100% Success Rate) and they've won about 75% of their other battles.

And now on with the pics, though I know the quality isn't amazing, i'm hoping to get some better ones soon.

Darkshards

Bleakswords

Executioners of Har Garneth
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I like the colors, very striking and bold.

And the owl is cuteness overload!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

The Owl's there to help me remember in game which one's fielding the Scarecrow Banner, good old Binky :)

And thank you Dalamar, compliments from you are always high praise!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice work, the owl definitely is a nice touch and a good way of remembering the unit load out.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

So I'm aware I've not posted anything in -ages- and mostly that's due to not having done any actual painting in ages (which has really been getting on my nerves.) Had a bit of a run in with the manager at my local store which began with him refusing to move his models off a table so that it could be used to game on, and ended with him banning me from the store (in the middle I made a complaint to their Head Office and they told the manager, but that's another story!)

I had however planned to upload the pics of both my 25-Woman strong unit of Sisters of Slaughter, and the 35-Woman unit of Witch Elves (which baring flock are all finished.) and then I realised I have no PVA, all the stores are closed and that means I can't flock them until tomorrow, so pictures will have to wait until then! I've also made a couple of changes to the list due to the events in 'Khaine', primarilly the fact that Tularis is no longer among us and cannot lead the unit of Executioners. In his place I've hired a Sorceress to add some long needed magical support to the army.

I do have something to upload at least, the front of the case which has been repainted for use with the Army (this will be their case, no other models will go inside and I've got foam spaces cut specially for templates and the like.)

and a closeup of the Citadel itself.

Both painted Mephaston Red, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted with Evil Sun before having a layer of Blood for the Blood God applied and then sealed.

Expect actual model pics tomorrow!
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

As promised I managed to get some pictures taken, not of the Witch Elves but of the Sisters of Slaughter and Shadowblade, the Master of Assassins himself! They're not the greatest of pictures, and before my next project I'm looking at purchasing a decent camera and building a light box, but for now the phone will have to do.

Sisters of Slaughter

Shadowblade

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lovely work on the models. Nice to see the colour theme running through the Assassins cloak.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Thankyou Amboadine, I tried to keep it as close to the 'Official' paintjob, while at the same time making sure it ties in with the rest of my army. I think it's actually the only model in this force that has any purple on it (which is strange enough!).

I've also finished work on my new sorceress, leaving just the finishing touches on the Witch Elves, the Attendants and Statue for the Cauldron and Hellebron herself left at the moment (I'm not including the BSB in this list as I still need to source a couple of things for her as she's being rebuilt.)

And without further ado, the sorceress.

And it turns out Witch Elves can be a bit of a pain to photograph, especially when trying to do it in the configuration they'll be in once the Cauldron is in the middle (11 20x20mm models wide). So instead I chose to photo them 10 wide (apparently that extra 20mm made -all- the difference.

This now brings me to the following point in the 3000pt army, and I can see the finish line fast approaching!

Crone Hellebron and her Cauldron of Blood - 50%
Tularis Dreadbringer - Finished Un-named Sorceress - Finished
Death Hag BSB - Undercoated Replacement Unassembled

Bleaksword Unit - 30/30
Darkshard Unit 1 - 10/10
Darkshard Unit 2 (code-name binky!) - 10/10
Witch Elves - 35/35

Executioners of Har Ganeth - 30/30

Sisters of Slaughter - 25/25
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

So things happened and January did -not- go as planned. My internet did that explodey thing that happens sometimes and my best friend suddenly moved house (in a good way) and I ended up with no-time at all to paint. However I did source the bits for the new BSB and assemble her, so here she is in her WIP glory!

And here's how she'll be placed in her unit of frothing mad executioners.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice conversion. Dynamic pose.
41spoons
Trainee Warrior

Post by 41spoons »

First I've seen of this PLOG! Great work all around! Red is such a great primary color for Druchii (very striking). Love the paint jobs on the Witches and Sisters! Keep up the fantastic work.