AVATARS OF WAR COMPETITION CHAT THREAD

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Rakariel
Shade

Re: AVATARS OF WAR COMPETITION CHAT THREAD

Post by Rakariel »

One great mini you got there Kreol, outstanding. :)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

The comp thread is now locked - the polls will be posted on the 2nd and be open for a week.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Hehe Kreol just made it in time with his, dare I say it, winning mini ;)
Sad to see that Lion did`nt make it, was looking forward to his result aswell.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Rakariel wrote:Sad to see that Lion did`nt make it, was looking forward to his result aswell.

Me too. I'm always inspired by his stuff.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Dyvim tvar wrote:
Rakariel wrote:Sad to see that Lion did`nt make it, was looking forward to his result aswell.

Me too. I'm always inspired by his stuff.

Me three, though some of the entires posted are simply stunning.
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

Absolutely amazing Kreol, I've never liked that master on foot mini until now :)
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Can't wait for voting to start!
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Watchmaster
Lost in the Chaos Wastes

Post by Watchmaster »

Didn't make it home in time to post final pictures after doing some touch up- just as well, after seeing what other people are coming up with. Kreol's is utterly spectacular, but so many of the others are jaw dropping as well.

There's evidently facets of painting I have yet to realize exist, let alone master.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

@Watchmaster
Would love to see your result even tho you couldn`t make it in time. Hope you post some pics soon :)
1_Epsilon_1
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by 1_Epsilon_1 »

Great entries buddies!

@Kreol, excelent scheme, but, as you are one of the best of the contest, I have apreciated a lot of possitive things:
- Excellent NMM. Probably I'd have given some tones to the greys. Awsome indeed.
- Well done with the blood effect trick ;)
- Good scheme

But I've seen some things I didn't like so much :(
- You've risked a lot with a fast-paint freehand... for me it's a bit "flat", and it's similar in both sides, but not the same. I would made a full NMM axe in this case, or given more volume to the pictures.
-In same points of the clothes (not the armor), there isn't the same shadow effect as the NMM, breaking the spotlight effect.
- When I look at it, my eyes looks at the axe. The face (the most important thing in the miniature) is in a background. That's the reason why the freehand is so risky.

All in all, great entry mate. You've got a lot of (probably all) possiblities to win!

@Searinox, Nice entry. Really dinamic and colourful. It's not usual to see purple dinosaurs ;) really exotic Good job!

@Payce, Nice to see a Heavy armour elf. Lovely colour of the dress. Probably you have to practice a bit more the shadows, but you are in the good way. Simple, but awsome base indeed! Great mate!

@direweasel, Good scheme. You're in the good way of painting :) Now you have to try to define better the lights and shadows (the key is more water hehe) and you'll get incredible results, trust me ;) Well done, the scheme, as I said, is the best part of the mini

@Errdrigar, awsome creation. I'm really jalleus... The best conversion of the contest, fmpov ;)

@Watchmaster. A really simple miniature, but one of the most interesting... The reason is simple: Dinamism, simplicity and realism. An uncommon possition for GW miniatures, specially the shooter ones. It shows a story, an atmosphere of courage, it's perfect for a unit leader... good armor for an elf. The scheme is really unusual. You are in the good way to improve your technique. I really liked the wood of the weapon. You've done a good job in there ;)

@Ilmaestro, I believe you couldn't upload the result... :( It was a really good conversion. I'm not a good sculptor, so the only thing I can say is that the wolf armour should be smoother, but the cloak of the elf is PERFECT. Hope to see the miniature painted soon.

@Dyvim tvar, Fantastic true metals. The base looks a bit simple... some grass or mud would have ben perfect, or even snow! Talking about the banner, you've risked a lot! And you got an excelent result. I've got a question: the elf letters on the backside, are on freehand or with "water-sticks"? The frontside of the banner has a really good desing, I like it, but the dragon is a bit over marked. Doesn't matter, it's still good. Well done!

@Khaleth Blackheart, lovely piece, excellent choice of the blues in the dark scheme. The best thing for me is the conversion. Good job buddy. An important point to add for the base: simple but well executed. Perfect to show, perfect to play 8)

@Blydz, An awsome conversion, absolutely dinnamic. It would have been great if you had added a spotlight effect... The scene is, as I said, awsome. I like it a lot.

@CitizenKhaine, your entry has been one of the most colourfull of the contest. I love the dinos... I give you a 10 for their scheme, also for the base. Well done mate.

For the rest (If I'ven't say nothing - sorry, tomorroy I have to work a lot...), well done: everyone has done an excelent job. Good luck to everyone, and cheers!
> > > EPSILON - MERCENARY PAINTER < < <

// In Spanish - There is a translator on the rigth side ;) //

DARK ELVES GALLERY - 1_Epsilon_1
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

This is like waiting ages in a restaurant for a meal ...which never shows up!

All of you who missed the deadline:

OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

well not disappointed, but I was looking forward to seeing alot of the entries finished :D

thnx Epsilon :D always nice to hear praise :mrgreen: hope to one day be good enough to enter the Master comp :P
alot of those models rly look stunning :shock:
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Yeah, I too was a little sad that not everybody was able to get their stuff in. As it stands right now (and it could change if the MOD's deem it to be), I am one of only two completed entries in the Novice category. A lot of others entered, but did not meet the deadline.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Hey All:

Unfortunately, real life butted it's way in front of our hobby a bit in the last few weeks and I couldn't get my entry finished. Anyone who wants to see how Yabani turns out can do so via my PLOG.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to checking out all the cool entries from those who managed their time better than I did. I just looked at Kreol's beautiful work and as expected, it's stunning. I really love the style. I'll echo Mr. Blackheart in that that Master figure was never high on my list, but Kreol has made it superb. Well done!

So apologies to all and I promise to not be a punk next time.....
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I for one will definitely be watching her progress on your Plog, as I always do. Your skills with a brush are pretty much the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry you didn't make the deadline, though. And that does NOT make you a punk - it makes you a human being with a real life. It happens. :)

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Lion of flanders wrote:Anyone who wants to see how Yabani turns out can do so via my PLOG.

I want to see. You should put a link in your sig.
Truly These are the End Times ...
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Real life is a lot more important than painting toy soldiers tbf.

I just thought it was a shame we had so many great entries, but that a few fell at the final hurdle!

Looking forward to the polls, and to those who didnt manage to finish in time's own plogs in due course...
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Just been scrolling through all the entries - WOW!
More painting and modelling inspiration in one thread than you can shake a stick (or paint brush) at.
Thanks for organising this Cultofkhaine, it has been a great experience and a first fo me. It made me work harder on my model and stranglely enough, the couple of models I have painted since then too.
Good luck to everyone in the polls - I want to vote for them all.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

yeah im realy anxious to see how the polls turn out :D I got so many things i want to vote on :shock:
I always knew that i was nowhere near Master Class, but seeing some of the entries rly made me realise i still have a long way to go :lol:
But im not stopping till i get there! :twisted: this comp has rly inspired me in many ways and I'm already thinking of things to do for other characters in my army.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

I just want to say how amazed I am by everyones entries :) it's gonna be so hard to choose who to vote for.
There's so much inspiration in this thread :) and everyone who's entered should be proud of their work.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Excellent standards here. Amazing guys, well done all.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:yeah im realy anxious to see how the polls turn out :D I got so many things i want to vote on :shock:
I always knew that i was nowhere near Master Class, but seeing some of the entries rly made me realise i still have a long way to go :lol:
But im not stopping till i get there! :twisted: this comp has rly inspired me in many ways and I'm already thinking of things to do for other characters in my army.

Likewise. I can't wait until GenCon. Assuming I don't make it to the final Axis&Allies table (Spoiler Alert: I WON'T), I'm going to take a class for basing miniatures. Those classes at previous GenCons have been outstanding, so I'm expecting good lessons to be learned from this one as well.

But yeah, I look at mine and I'm happy with it, but I look at the Masters and I see where I fall short. As you said, though, that's just motivation to keep honing the craft until you get there. :)

Watchmaster
Lost in the Chaos Wastes

Post by Watchmaster »

I'm really hoping to see some tutorials from the top contestants. It's like playing street basketball with a few buddies for years, and then seeing a pro game for the first time. Somehow these entries are far more impressive than what they show in White Dwarf.

Thanks for encouraging words from a lot of people, particularly Epsilon. Next time I'll go for beginner class, and see what I can figure out from the pros as I go. I wish I had just submitted the original pictures instead of trying to fix little details and trying to line up a photo session again. The ones I ended up taking myself later on looked worse, due to amateur cell phone camera work.

I'm sure there's a better place to post this, but here's some of the things my photographer buddy came up with when I gave him free reign with my miniatures case, if anyone's interested. As my foreman will tell you, my work looks best from a distance...

Anyway, I seriously have no idea who I'd vote for at this point. I keep picking up new little details in the entries the more I look at them, and changing my mind. I'd call this competition a resounding success. Big round of applause for everyone involved!
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Watchmaster wrote:As my foreman will tell you, my work looks best from a distance...

Am not quite sure what you are looking at, but your work looks great up close aswell ;)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Lion of flanders wrote:Unfortunately, real life butted it's way in front of our hobby a bit in the last few weeks and I couldn't get my entry finished.
Not sure whether LoF finds an excuse with the nice intention not "risking" to win twice in a row (yes, he is that much a gentleman), but anyway it gives Kreol & others a much better chance to win the coveted price.
May the best remaining competitor win!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}