Re: DRUCHII.NET AVATARS OF WAR PAINTING COMPETITION

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Vote for your favourite Masters entry.

Poll ended at Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Watchmaster
5%
CitizenKhaine
No votes
Khaleth Blackheart
5%
1_Epsilon_1
No votes
Kreol
40%
Blydz
2%
Dalamar
No votes
Ampao
No votes
Rakariel
14%
Cultofkhaine
7%
Errdrigar
No votes
Faeli-n
19%
Payce
No votes
Dyvim tvar
7%
Lion of Flanders
2%

Total votes: 43

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

yay! I got a vote - Thanks Errdrigar you have made my day :D
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Errdrigar wrote:20 competitors in both categories and only 20 votes here so far - seems a bit disappointing. Where are all d.netters ? I hope they will cast their votes before closing.

I suspect that a lot of people skip past the main page of the site and may not even realize that voting is open
Truly These are the End Times ...
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Yeah, I'm not ever really sure how popular the painting and modelling subsection is... a lot of the topics are the same people commenting (although I'm never worried by that since everyone seems nice and helpful :D ).
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

Dyvim tvar wrote:
Errdrigar wrote:20 competitors in both categories and only 20 votes here so far - seems a bit disappointing. Where are all d.netters ? I hope they will cast their votes before closing.

I suspect that a lot of people skip past the main page of the site and may not even realize that voting is open

Mods, any chance of sending out an email on the painting contest to let people know? (I know it's probably a pain to do, just an idea though) :)
They did that on carpe noctem, to announce their painting comp votes were open.
Wiggen
Corsair

Re: Re: DRUCHII.NET AVATARS OF WAR PAINTING COMPETITION

Post by Wiggen »

Really good job on everyones part!

Kreol, Rakariel and Faeli-n were my favorites of the bunch and it was really hard to pick a winner, in the end i went for Kreol, it´s just really well made with really good colour choices and lots of contrast, i especially like his metallics, cloth and dragon (everything really :p), and really cool freehand on the halberd.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I voted for Faeli-n, that bird is just ridiculous. But I could very easily have voted for 4 or 5 of these. I really would have liked to see a closer picture of the rider, but that wasn't enough to keep me from giving him the vote.

All who finished did awesome work. Those that didn't finish, I look forward to seeing on their Plogs and so on.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Golden Spark
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Golden Spark »

Same, I personally think Faeli-n has the best paint job.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Hey! I didnt know my mom is on this forum!

Somebody voted for my entry, evidently :lol:

As to driving a few more eyeballs to the competition, howzabout a Mod post to the other forums letting other D.netters know that there is a competition underway and link to the threads?
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

My vote goes to Rakariel, the colours you used are awesome. That banner is the best !
Second place goes to Khaleth, base is very good !

Kreol painting skill is amazing, so best painted. But I see Kouran, not the avatar of Kreol, the aspect I liked most of this competition.
Best conversion goes to Cult of Khaine, but I liked to see the whole in a darker context instead of the white background.

My model in Novice felt and broke and my motivation was lost. Also lost interest for warhammer lost 1.5 month but when I will return I am going to finish it and post it in my plog. WIP pictures are still uploaded in novice sector
Blydz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blydz »

I bow before the master's degree of brush of Kreol.
A clean and flawless painting work.

There are many of the excellent representations here, but only one to choose.

Faeli-n, you made some very good work on the paint and the colors, but I find that banner with the angel of death weighed down by many the model. But it's about a personal point of view. Again, good work nevertheless :)

All this makes me say i really need to train my free hand work :)
You are not the center of the Universe. We are. - Disciple of Khaine Manifesto. Line 9

My PLOG
Khaleth Blackheart

Awesome, I've got a vote :) that's me happy now :)
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thank you for all the votes, was great taking part in this competition! :D

First I wanted to say that there are many excellent representations of different kinds of Dark Elves and I am always excited what other painters come up with. I think everyone has done a great job in achieving alot of uniqueness with their mini be it Dyvim Tvars great banner, Faeli-ns Gryphon or CultofKhaines great centerpiece to name just a few.

There was one entry however that I thought was absolutely incredible, not just because of its superb paintjob, but because of the character that has been put into both rider and mount. It might sound cheesy, but if I look into those two pair of eyes I get the feeling that something (sinister and sincerely dark elfish) lurks there. Sadly Lion couldn`t finish it in time, but then again, real life matters are always more important anyway! If you deliver the same thing next time, you got my vote man ;).

So I thought I turn to the second most astounding mini (imo), and that is Kreols. Lots of detail have gone into your work, and it shows. Be it armor, babydragon or the cool freehand the whole package is just amazing. However as Kreol will most probably be winning anyway decided to give someone else my vote because all the others put alot of work into their Dark Elves and should therefore get some credit for it aswell.

After thinking long about it and having a look at the pictures over and over again I narrowed it down to Kaleth Blackheart, Errdrigars and CitizenKhaines entries. I think all three of them went to great lengths representing something unique but overall very darkelfish. Errdrigars Greenstuff-work is astounding, Kaleths Pegasus is very nicely built with a great presentation of a soaring Pegasus and CitizenKhaines paintscheme is very darkelfish and shows alot of coherency. It was a tough decision but in the end I went with Kaleth. The way his Pegasus just barely touches a mountainpeak (some VC terrain there ey ;)) just so he can break through the clouds to charge back into the fray an instant later did it for me. Well done :D
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Disclaimer: Judgement is subjective. Please do not hate me.

The purpose of creative ventures is in the creative journey itself. Positive feedback always feels good, negative feedback most usually not good. But feedback from others should not detract from the satisfaction of one's own efforts.

Philosophising aside, it's time to get judging :P

My own preferences, as previously stated in the Novice Category, are photorealism over cartoonism and conversion & painting over painting an industry standard model.

My judgement categories on a 1-10 scale:-
Composition: How the model is put together.
Palette: Colour choice.
Detail: Fine brushwork.
Blending: Layering and tones.
X-Factor: Overall impression including intangible factors.
(Note that these scores will not be absolute, but relative to the category)

The standard of D.net painting has always been stratospheric; so an entry will have to be stratospheric to get my vote. I want to see something completely new, and invested with a palpable sense of life. Only the best can achieve this.

(Incidental: One thing I've noticed over past competitions is for the professionals, or professional quality amateurs, to reproduce their "house style". I'm actually looking for people to step outside their house style and take risks; if you don't convert, then convert; if you don't lightsource then lightsource, if you prefer a dark palette, go for a light palette, try different paints or modelling effects, etc. But anyway, you can bear that in mind for the next competition. On to the judging of this one...)

Masters Category

DNF -- A number of extremely promising entries. Looking forward to seeing the final versions later.

Watchmaster

Watchmaster wrote:Image

Composition: 7
Palette: 7
Detail: 7
Blending: 7
X-Factor: 8
Total: 36

I really like this mini. For a simple conversion, you've managed to invest a lot of personality in the model. Palette also simple yet effective. While the painting is (as you have said yourself) not of the professional standard necessary to win, it is good, with some nice touches such as the hints of oxidation on the metal. A worthy tabletop Avatar!

CitizenKhaine

CitizenKhaine wrote:Image

Detail: 8
Blending: 8
X-Factor: 7
Total: 37

There are a number of things I like about this composition, and a number which I do not, so it scored lower than it could have. The painting of the Cold Ones, both detail, blending and colour choice is exceptional -- amongst the best I've ever seen. You've really managed to capture a biological colour scheme! I also like the characterful choice of rider. What has let the model down for me are the combination of the purple on the chariot and the red and green of the beasts. It's a clash. I also think the rider looks 'lonely', and the addition of another model in a dynamic pose would have given the composition much more brood and menace; at the moment only the Cold Ones are providing that. So with a few changes you could have created a great, rather than just a good, model. Overall though, a worthy Masters entry.

Khaleth Blackheart

Khaleth Blackheart wrote:Image

Composition: 8
X-Factor: 9
Total: 39

Wow! Your plastics were up early in the comp, and you really set the bar high from the beginning. The conversion is inspired, with great choice of elements combined wonderfully. Painting is good, with exceptional parts, such as your work on the Dragonskin cloak. You are perhaps limited by the model but I think the face could be better -- possibly with a different choice of skin tone. Your colour choice on the steed in particular has limited what you could show of your abilities; it's not possible to produce a black steed with the richness of, for example, Citizen's Cold One's. Overall, though -- Brilliant entry!

Epsilon

1_Epsilon_1 wrote:Image

Composition: 6
Palette: 6
Total: 35

Choice of model is not to my taste, and I think your colour scheme could be better. I think you can produce much better than what you have here. But that is not to say what you have produced isn't good. Detail is very good and blending exceptional. Your technical ability is of the top standard, and your paint job elevates the model. Good entry.

Kreol

Kreol wrote:Image

Palette: 9
Detail: 10
Blending: 10
Total: 45

Almost a home run. A jaw dropping late entry :shock:
Fairly simple conversion, but those simple elements elevate the model. Absolutely beautiful choice of colours throughout.
Technical ability I can't rate higher, so gets a 10!
Simply awesome.

Blydz

Blydz wrote:Image

Good choice of model, and your changes make it even more of a centrepiece. Nice colour scheme and good technical work, if not up to the professional bar.
You have created a very nice leader for your army!

Dalamar

Dalamar wrote:Image

Blending: 6
Total: 35

I'm not one for Drow, so this marks you down. However as a conversion it is very impressive; really good combination of elements. In regards to paintwork, I like the lightsourcing on the flame, and the detail on the book. The model would be improved for me with a different choice of colour for the robes and staff top -- at the moment they clash too much with the skin.
While the painting is not professional quality, this model is more than the sum of its parts, and makes for a brooding tabletop Avatar!

Rakariel

Rakariel wrote:Image

Composition: 10
Palette: 8
Detail: 9
Blending: 9
X-Factor: 10
Total: 46

What makes this model for me is how all of the elements come together. The base, the stone pillar, the tree, the translucent section, the choice of horse, the rider, the banner; and the jaunty angle of horse and rider. The whole impression is of class, dynamism and predatory danger.
Colour scheme is a little 'Eavy Metal Cookie Cutter, but the detail and blending are exceptional.
It's a magnificent piece, of which you must be very proud!

Cult of Khaine

Cultofkhaine wrote:Image

Composition: 9
Total: 42

Your usual (very) high standard. I'd like to see you try something outside of your signature style for these competitions. However, this classic 'Cult of Khaine' is a great piece. Very ambitious, but it works.
An entry worthy of Malekith himself!

Errdrigar

Errdrigar wrote:Image

Well, this was unexpected! A scratch-built Medusa!!! You've put a lot of work in here, and I like your choice of classic parts. The final effort is a very unique and characterful addition to your army. Paint scheme is strange, yet works.
Good Entry!

Faeli-n

Faeli-n wrote:Image

Composition: 9
Palette: 10
Blending: 10
X-Factor: 9 (-4) = 5
Total: 43

When I first gazed upon this model, it was lust at first sight. My eyes followed it's beautiful curves and lines ...up until the banner, when the spell was broken by the Imperial Insignia :cry:
The griffon works for me, the subtle changes to the rider really Dark-Elf-ify it ...but the banner jars. It just looks too "Empire". An army standard should say "Dark Elf", and this one doesn't.
Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bit. But it really needs more than a Halberd on top to integrate it with our army. If that Morr figure was on the backpiece of a throne (on a Dragon rider for example) it would work better. But for your model, I'd like to see instead, either (1) an icon standard, using new CoB/BWS or Dark Eldar parts or (2) a flowing standard (such as from the High Elf Noble/Dragon Rider kits), without a lance base section. Such a change would put this model into GeOrc class.
As it stands, I really, really dig your palette. Detail and blending exceptional, though I think you could have brought out the "cat-ness" of the hindquarters a little more.
Overall: Awesome.

Payce

Payce wrote:Image

Detail: 6
Blending: 6
Total: 33

I really like the conversion. Unusual choice of elements, that work very, very well.
Painting is not professional standard, but there are good parts such as the shading on the robes and the flamesword.
A different palette and more attention to detail would much improve the finished article, but as it stands it "works" -- a unique and menacing tabletop character.

Dyvim tvar

Dyvim tvar wrote:Image

Total: 40

A late Dark Horse emerges! Choice of model bits are too plain for my taste. But with those simple bits a great piece has been created.
Beautiful colour scheme, beautiful blending and tones, and exceptional freehand.
A great entry!

Conclusions

Bronze -- goes to Faeli-n on 43 points (continuing the recent Scottish Commonwealth tradition of medalling :mrgreen:)

Silver -- goes to Kreol's technical brilliance on 45 points

...and my Winner, pipping the others on 46 points, is:

Gold -- Rakariel!

Once again, I've went for the overall qualites of the model rather than pure technique...

...and nobody provided quite the same swagger as Rakariel's charismatic Avatar of War!

Congratulations all that entered. Fantastic competition and a pleasure to observe! Many of you created completely new models shining with personality -- the mark of great creativity! :D 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Some really great entries here and I have learnt a lot from reading all the great feedback.

My vote goes to Kreol - for simple wow factor, I love the details on the great weapon, full of heaps of character and totally not what I was expecting from his early entry photos.

Next my vote would have gone to Rakariel - possibly this would have one it for me, fantastic details, but I think the final photos let it down a bit in the end.

All round some really great work - the real winner is the forum and DNet community.
Watchmaster
Lost in the Chaos Wastes

Post by Watchmaster »

Thanks to the kind moderator that transferred my last pictures here from the discussion thread. Really didn't have to do that...

I cannot honestly account for me getting one vote alongside some of these legitimate masterpieces, let alone two. Many thanks, whoever you are, and don't forget to see an optometrist soon!

Been agonizing over my vote for a while now. There's so much I like about each of these, it was tough to pin down a favorite. Here's my take on the entries. Any criticism is down to my personal taste, not the painter's skill in the slightest:

CitizenKhaine- Smooth, crisp painting and a seamless conversion. Cold Ones are masterfully executed. I usually like my critters darker, but these look terrific.

Khaleth Blackheart- Love the conversion. Dynamic and fearsome, everything a Druchii lord should be. The expression on the riders face is kind of odd; not saying I could do any better with the model. If I ever came around to running a pegaus master, this would be how I'd wish my conversion to look.

1_Epsilon_1- Facial expressions are tough to do; this one nails it. It radiates contempt, disdain, and smug confidence. Photo is slightly blurry, I don't think it's the paint, which looks well done.

Kreol- Wow oh wow! Stunning paint job. I like the fact that the demonic face isn't perfectly symmetrical. With having to turn the figure to see both sides, it implies that the visage is in motion across the blade. Only thing I don't like is that it's Kouran, not an original character. That said, the execution is so good, I could tell exactly who it was supposed to be without any caption.

Blydz- Great work on an ambitious sculpting project; it's a perfect representation of the spell. The face of the character is a bit off, somehow. Might just be the lighting. Really like the color scheme, though.

Dalamar- Really cool figure. Almost exactly what I imagined your character from the short story contest looking like. Not a fan of the blue skin, but to each their own.

Rakariel- Lovely freehand banner. One of the best illusions of flight on a model I've seen as well. Pose, paint scheme, and overall conversion did it for me. Only minus was the double bladed weapon being wielded alongside the lance/banner; looks impractical, as silly as that sounds in a magical fantasy setting. Just my preference.

Cultofkhaine- If you're not making money at this, you should be. This would get my vote for the work that went into the conversion alone if you weren't a mod.

Errdrigar- Big round of applause for all the sculpting work that went into this. I prefer slightly more drab coloring, so the palette was a bit much for me. Still looks great.

Faeli-n- Jaw dropping awesome. The griffon is utterly convincing, and very organic. My favorite models are the ones that suspend my disbelief and make me think, "this creature really could have existed", and this one does it. The armor of the warrior is perfect. Dark as it is, there's still plenty of layers and depth to the colors. The only thing that breaks the spell of "realism" is, as T.D. mentioned, the banner. I don't care that it's an empire icon, I just hate how unwieldy it looks. It takes too much effort for me to imagine him fighting effectively with that thing. On a lesser model, it wouldn't be a big deal, but here, it's jarring. A much more simple pennant would have, for me, taken this from a 10 to an 11.

Payce- Finally, a female fantasy model wearing armor that actually looks practical and effective! You have no idea how refreshing that is. Painting is not as refined as some of the others here, but it's still a great choice of colors on an expert conversion.

Dyvim tvar- Holy cow. Not often that an unconverted unit banner bearer can draw my attention this much. Pro-grade freehand work on the banner and a very interesting paint scheme. Great basing as well.

At the end of the day, I had to go with Faeli-n's griffon rider. Banner notwithstanding, the rest of the model captured exactly what I'm looking for in a fantasy miniature: Suspension of disbelief. The claws, feathers, and beak look real. The armor is well worn and oxidized, and isn't too plain or too ostentatious. I could see a real warlord donning that helm to spread his fearful reputation.

The standard still makes my arms ache; I did tree work for a lot of years, and know what it's like to try and swing long, heavy things around up in the air.... Even so, this is the model I most wish was in my collection.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Is there a competition for the best jury?
T.D. would win with a solid margin.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Khaleth Blackheart

Thank you for the vote Rakariel, it means a lot coming from a painter as good as you :) and thank you to whomever my mystery voter was :)
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Calisson wrote:Is there a competition for the best jury?

Absolutely. That is a very impressive and comprehensive review of the entries. People around the world sharing their thoughts about subjects that they enjoy is what makes sites like this (and the Internet in general) so cool. Lots of great painting and modeling and lots of thoughtful and constructive commentary. I've been back inthe hobby for a year now and I'm loving it!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

All the entries were very good. and it was very hard to choose aswell.
But my vote went to Blydz :D Kreol's model looks amazing but Blydz's model looks good to and it portraits my favorite spell beeing cast :P so i might be abit Biased in that ;)
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Calisson wrote:Is there a competition for the best jury?

No question - I need to keep these criteria in mind next time I judge.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Thanks very much for the kind words, gentlemen.

It is said;

Those who can, paint. Those who can't, judge :lol:

As someone who doesn't enjoy painting and takes forever to convert, I really appreciate the artistry involved in producing top quality miniatures like these. I have an idea of just how much time and effort you all have put in to your entries, in both categories, and so it is the least I can do to spend comparatively little time and effort assessing and appreciating them, and providing feedback.

With emphasis on the appreciation :D The pleasure really has been all mine!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

In the "it is never too late to learn" section, CultofKhaine said...
What has let the model down for me are the combination of the purple on the chariot and the red and green of the beasts. It's a clash. I also think the rider looks 'lonely'

I had struggled with the chariot purple and after reading that comment it made sense therefore I re-did the chariot exterior to match the interior wood grain look. I left the rider looking lonely as I intended him to be my avator :).
While it's too late for the competition, I still appreciate the feedback, anything that improves my modeling is a win. Thanks
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Congratulations to Kreol our new Brush Master - please PM me your contact details to arrange your prize with Avatars of War.

A big thank you to all those who entered and contributed with some great comments and feedback!
Kreol
Brush Master

Post by Kreol »

Wow, I'm so happy :D

I would like to thank You all for voting on me and for kind comments. It's great honour to have Brush Master title along with Lion.

I also want to thank other competitors. Lots of great stuff You painted, for the glory of Khaine. Hope to see more stuff soon.
So GooD To Be EviL!!
Wiggen
Corsair

Post by Wiggen »

Congrats Kreol! well deserved!

Big thumbs up for everyone else that participated aswell, good stuff all around