Beastslavers of Hag Greif's Plog

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Jvh792
Highborn

Re: Beastslavers of Hag Greif's Plog

Post by Jvh792 »

Thank you so much! I thought I'd try something different on the statue to make it stand out more. I wanted the blood to be REALLY striking against it.

Every beast slaver worth his salt knows that you must first weaken your prey before capturing it in a tiny red and white ball... I mean your nets. Yea. I meant capturing it in nets. The crossbowmen of Hag Greif also bring special bolas ammunition to capture smaller prey without killing them. And when the Beast Slavers happen to run into humanoid prey, well the beasts they hunt are much faster than any man, and they've had plenty of moving target practice. So mowing down hordes of ranked up enemies isn't exactly sporting, but they are more than ready for the task.

Malus prefers to lead his armies from the front (unlike the cowardly witch king). However when Malus finds himself without his faithful steed, he doesn't mind letting practicality take over and issues precise orders from his vantage point at the rear of the scrum.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

The color on their hands looks a bit goofy, but it's much brighter IRL
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Those burgundy tones look really good on the Darkshards 8)

Pray tell, what are those cool things in the backgroun?
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice change of colour scheme there.

Looks like RBT on beast conversions I think T.D.

Let's see more of them please.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Unusual colour scheme for Dark Elves - works well!

I like how you have painted the white - look forward to seeing more.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Thank you guys :D I'm so glad that it's being appreciated. Kinda bum time to finish your first army ever... So I'm really really glad you guys enjoy it.
I'm really proud of the color scheme as I felt it was pretty original, but worked really well together.
And you'll just have to wait and see what those things in the background are! I'm saving them for later XD
Malus is sneaky like that.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

The Beastslavers used to drag their bolt throwers on the back of slave drawn carts, as is the druchii way, until a raid party tracked a large pack of wargs deep into the Mountains of Mourne. After several weeks the under-fed and bone-chilled tracking party was on the verge of a mutinous collapse when they happened upon the warg pack in a valley meadow. What happened next no druchii, except the survivors, believed.

Wargs are prized amongst the Beastslavers for their speed, strength, but most of all, their cunning. The druchii trackers spotted a smaller warg, most likely the zeta, on the crest of the hill at the end of the valley. Whether the beast had sensed their presence, they couldn't be sure. The wind was swirling too much in the mountain pass for any safe angle of approach to be counted on. As the zeta-warg disappeared over the hill, the party commander, Urisch, gave the order to string the crossbows and advance upon the crest. He wasn't going home empty handed.

The dark elf commander expected a trap over the hillcrest. Wargs are ambush hunters, and if they expected that they were being followed, a bloody fight was likely. Urisch ordered his men to spread out along the valley floor, thinking that if an ambush were to take place, better the grunts get picked off on the wings of the formation than him.

Not 30 paces from the hillcrest Urisch gave the order to halt. He felt a tremor in the ground. Worrying that an Ogre tribe was advancing on their position, he strained his sense, listening for any of their guttural language, smelling for any of their pungent stench, looking for any trace of their man-hide standards... But the mountainous terrain blocked the elf's keen sight. The swirling winds foiled his acute nose. And the growing tremor in the earth was building like thunder on the wind before a storm, drowning out all other sound or thought.

Urisch paused just a second longer, searching his prior experiences for comprehension. It came in a flash, and Urisch gave a frantic order to form up just as the first of a thousand beast crested the hill. Both elves and mournfangs gave a startled cry of alarm, but while one fell back, the other charged forwards. For either side to oppose the tide of bodies was certain death.

The druchii shot crossbow fire over their shoulders as they fell back, but their firepower was spread too thin across the breadth of the canyon, and the brute's hides were too thick. Onwards the mournfang poured, like a failing of swollen dam. On the flanks of the canyon, the druchii were faring better. Those that hadn't lost their nerve at the initial shock were forming tight groups and tearing holes through the stampede with concentrated firepower. As they clambered up the canyon walls, away from the danger, they spotted the warg pack at the back of the herd, nipping at the mournfangs heels, driving them into an even more desperate panic. Urisch was right to suspect an ambush, but he had grossly underestimated his prey's capabilities. In truth the wargs had been baiting the druchii further and further into the mountains until the opportunity presented itself to swap the predator prey relationship.

Urisch, who had positioned himself in the center of the valley to avoid the warg's ambush, now fond himself in the worst position of all. While fleeing for his life, he spotted a lone tree that he had overlooked on his approach. He tried to make the adjustment in his route, but found himself being shouldered by the mournfang as the herd overtook him. As long as he didn't lose his footing, there was a chance he could survive. 50 paces from the tree...
40 paces...
30 paces... He was going to make it!
20 paces...
10 paces... at 10 paces from the tree something jerked Urisch up off of his feet and hoisted him into the air. He found himself backwards straddling a mournfang staring at a young druchii whose name was he had never taken the time to learn. Urisch, stunned and disoriented, shouted, "Thanks." A gesture that any druchii with their wits would never give. The young elf smirked crookedly and in a blur grabbed Urisch by the throat and pulled him in close. The younger whispered something in Druhir that Urisch couldn't quite make out over his pulse, which was slowing. As Urisch slid from the mournfang, druchii standard issure knife protruding from his chest, the young elf thought he could see a small smile on the old commander's face as he succumbed to Slaanesh's greedy embrace.

Those that managed the escape the stampede were picked off by the warg pack. The only four survivors were those who rode out the stampede from the backs of mournfangs. One of the four was covered in a suspicious amount of blood, but the other three said nothing about it. Once they had subdued their mounts, they began the long and arduous journey back home with their new prizes.

Upon arrival it was found that the mournfang could bear an immense amount of weight. Malus himself had the idea of fitting bolt throwers to the harnesses. And thus was born the 1st artillery battery.

The young druchii responsible for Urisch's death was put in command. His mournfang is the most spirited, often charging wildly and trampling foes while the youth guns down rank upon rank of whatever scum stands in his way.

Not the best pictures, but all I have is my phone :lol:
I hope you guys enjoy the fluff and photos!
Last edited by Jvh792 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice idea for a conversion there with added story goodness.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Badass! no more to be said :D
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Impressive model! :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Thank you guys so much! My warhammer army is quickly becoming my Kings of War army that I happen to occasionally play AoS with...
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Wow that is awesome!