Beastslavers of Hag Greif's Plog

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Jvh792
Highborn

Re: Beastslavers of Hag Greif's Plog

Post by Jvh792 »

The Waargs have proven to be most useful allies to the Druchii. Their loud baying acts much the same as a horn and drum for the Dark Riders. Once the waargs have caught up to their prey, they've been trained to pin the animal in place in much the same way as a boar-hound pins a hog. The Dark Riders use their nets to capture and haul away their new catch, eventually to be bent to their will and join the pack.
I only have the fur done, and I'm not overly fond of how it turned out. But adding details, like nose, eyes, teeth, claws, tongue and the like should help quite a bit. They'll be handled by converted Dark Riders holding a "leash"
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Next up are WIP shots of more heavily converted Dark Riders and a bit of Cold One Knights.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Jvh792 wrote:Next up are WIP shots of more heavily converted Dark Riders and a bit of Cold One Knights.

Excellent, looking forward to them.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Ok so lied... So what. I'm Druchii. Here are some WIP of the shades. I love the base of the models and am thinking they look alright, but not quite beast-tamer enough for me They need at least 1 whip. I thought of giving them a dog, but the dog's body position and snarling doesn't fit the stealthy look I'm going for. So may try looking for a big cat model. If anyone knows a good one, let me know.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice idea, hadn't considered these as a base for Shades.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

So after posting this and seeing just how un-beast-tamerly they looked I decided to add something. 2 changes, but I think it makes a difference.
And from behind
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Also, my prototype of my next wave of Dark Riders. I wanted a more feral look to them. I think I will end up green stuffing some furs onto him some how... Like a sash or something. I'm planning on mixing these new ones into the old ones to give them a more rag-tag and wild look.
I used Exec head, warlock chest, 40k wyches net arm and dagger arm, and demonette pony tail. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to make him look a bit more... complete? I'm open.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

The net works really well. Possibly would look OTT across a whole unit, but for those on the flanks would be a great idea.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Those Shades look amazing :D the whip rly finishes the beastmaster feel.
The dark rider also looks great, love the Executioners head
And where does every1 get those awesome nets? I wouldnt mind a few myself ;)
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Really like how your models are coming out. Love the picture of the Dark Riders on the rock.

In regard to your wolf I have been looking for painting guides for wolves recently as I have a few I need to paint up and found this wonderful tutorial here.

http://paintbard.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/dire-wolf-aka-fenris-wolf.html

Hope it is off help to you. Keep up the good work
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

nets are 40k wyches :)
Whats OTT?
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Jvh792 wrote:Whats OTT?

Over the Top :D
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Thanks!
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

The whips and nets are really awesome, as are mandrake models. (I'm using them for my shades as well, but mine are much more disguised :) )
I look forward to seeing them painted. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

I've been a bit delayed getting the shades finished. People have the nerve to get married instead of leaving me to paint miniature toy soldiers... Rude. Hopefully this next week will see some progress to them. They've been base coated, so I'm hoping to get them done by the end of next week.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

The Scion of Hag Graef himself, Malus Darkblade, has taken notice of the Beast Slavers. Though Malus has kept the leader of the Beast Slavers clueless as to the motives of his new involvement, it's surely some underhanded political ploy. Malus returned from his journey to the north that he embarked on towards the end of the battle for Ghrond, however no one has heard from him since his return. So his sudden interest in the Beast Slavers is most disconcerting for everyone in the chain of command. Even the animals seem on edge. When Malus enters their cages, they all but tear themselves apart trying to get away from him. Rumors have been popping up of Malus' involvement in sorcery, and that he is a demon-host.
So ya the shades have been base coated and inked, and highlighted a bit and are about a day from being done, but I got side tracked by Mordheim and my Mordheim general, Malus Darkblade. Who (as you may be able to tell by my icon and my quote) is my favorite Dark Elf. Scratch that, favorite warhammer being. Period. So ya, I've been testing my inking and blending. So far, I'm freaking thrilled with how my wet blend has turned out. But it's taken about 15 layers of paint to achieve.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Whatever Malus' ulterior motives are, one thing is certain... He means to lead the Beast Slavers into war.
Finished Malus, and I couldn't be more pleased. I only wish that coating him hadn't diminished the vibrancy so much, but I retouched where necessary... Anyways, painting this model has been one of the more fun things I've painted. If I go back and touch anything up, it will be his Sea Dragon cloak. Just add another layer of pure white highlights, and Shiny Coating. Or should I do one or the other and not both?
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

BAH I'M SO HAPPY
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

It's clear that you gave this model your best and it has definitely paid. Great job, I especially like his sword. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nicely done indeed.
I think you should look into Inks at some point, as the next step, will help to further define the recesses and give the models even more of a lift.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

His skin and cloak were done with inks. I came back and highlighted over it. I was afraid to ink the sword because I didn't want to ruin the blend I did. Still thinking about Inking his shield emblem.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

I've converted a few more dark riders similar to my test model posted above. They REALLY add a lot to the units.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

HEY GUYS! I went afk there for a while, but I'm back. Malus and his crew have just returned from their first ever GT. It was a ton of fun and went pretty well to boot! But since I didn't have a full army painted before the tournament, I had to paint like mad to get it all done in time. We're talking up til 4 am every night for a week beforehand. Anyways, here are the fruits of my labor. PLZ enjoy and comment. The basing needs work, but I'll get there soon.

While Malus enjoys his dragon, it is but a petty toy compared to the true pride of his Beast Slaving host: his Cauldron of Blood. It took him nearly half a century of cunning assassinations, purposefully failed assassinations, bribes, threats, adulterous affairs, blackmailing, and politicking, but the Blood-Cult has finally given their first visible contribution to his less than secret bid for the Iron Circlet. The Cult of Khaine holds great power, not for their faith in the waning powers of a long dead god, but more in the mind of the Lords and Lady's whose favor Malus must court if he is to amass enough support to truly challenge the heir of Aenarion.

Atop the cauldron of blood stands the image of khaine; embossed elven-forged steel encased in the bones of his sacrifices that have been shaped into his armor by the blood-magiks which drive those around the cauldron into an even deeper bloodlust.

Even the noble Mages of Saphery have succumbed to it's inescapable black hole of rage.

As the beast slavers push deeper into the wild of the chaos wastes, the cruelest of beasts fight for the right to march to battle, blood, and the choicest feastings aside the cauldron.

Behold the obscene idolatry of khaine and his worshippers. May they bring Malus much glory and power!!
Last edited by Jvh792 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Still some details I want to add, but overall I'm happy.
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

Glad you finished your wyches. A horde of wych elves Always looks great. Really like the statue in particular.