Commission Review#2 -Blue Table Painting - COB & Witch Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Olliewood
Shade

Commission Review#2 -Blue Table Painting - COB & Witch Elves

Post by Olliewood »

The Cauldron of Blood and Witch Elf models were a huge part of why I decided to start a Druchii army when getting back into the hobby this past February. as mentioned in my previous commission review I haven't found the time and space to be able to participate in the creative aspect of the hobby yet - this was even more true when I purchases my WE hoard and COB. I decided to send them off to a fairly popular commission studio with a large presence on YouTube (which is how I got back into the hobby in the first place). Here is the result (might take a few posts):
Attachments
13941281840_fe925ea198_z.jpg
13941286630_26ebc57fe2_m.jpg
13941286630_26ebc57fe2_m.jpg (13.76 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Cheers,
Oli
Olliewood
Shade

Re: Commission Review#2 -Blue Table Painting - COB & Witch E

Post by Olliewood »

I am generally pleased with the work but have some issues as well:

The Price:
I found that the value for what I got was over priced - It was high priced worked that looked wonderful in the digital photos they sent me (the ones in the posts) - but when I received the actual models I was underwhelmed as noted below.

The Service:
They were pretty responsive to my request for a quote and helping me set up the commission. They have good process in place to handle a lot of volume. It isn't super personal but I understand they are a larger shop and thrive on efficiencies. One weird thing was that all of the correspondence come from the personal account of the owner but it is apparent that multiple members of his team are responding - just weird it didn't have a negative impact on the process from what I could tell. They delivered the models in a respectable time frame - not quite the 6-7 weeks that is stated on their site but pretty darn close. The main issue was the quality, particularly the witches and death hag on the COB. I requested Level 5 painting for that piece. This is an upgrade from the level 3 that the witch horde was painted to. The Cauldron itself met my personal understanding of the level I have paid for but the Death Hag and Witches were noticeably lower quality - even from the Level 3 witches. That was a bummer.

I also had them paint some Warlocks - which I will review later as I think they warrant a separate post.

Before I received the actual models but after I saw the digital pictures I commissioned a second even larger project with Blue Table Painting. Not sure I would have if I had the actual pieces in my possession at the time of placing the second order. Lesson learned. I will hold out judgment on BTP until I received my second commission. Hope you find this useful.
Attachments
13941253117_f2e96c0a26_z.jpg
Cheers,
Oli
Kreol
Brush Master

Post by Kreol »

Hi, do You have better pictures because it's hard to tell anything and see difference between level 3 and 5. But as far I can tell it's more or less basic TT level maybe litttle better on COB's gem parts.

PS: maybe You should put all commissions in one topic? We could judge work of different painting studios. ;)

BSB on foot and on pegasus
2x witch elves
Cob
warlocks

what will be next on Your army list? :D
So GooD To Be EviL!!
Olliewood
Shade

Post by Olliewood »

I will take some of my own photos and post them - maybe I can condense this all into one thread. I have a bunch more to come:

40 Executioners from Blue Table Painting
Peg Master - Blue Table Painting
Mounted Sorceress - Blue Table Painting
K-Beast - Blue Table Painting
Cold One Chariot - Blue Table Painting
Bloodwrack Shrine - War Dragon Studios
Shadowblade and assassins - MGM studios

Thanks for the input.
Cheers,
Oli
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Ive always been curious how their quality is.

Looking forward to updates.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for posting - yes it would be good to see better pics.
Plantagenet
Warrior

Post by Plantagenet »

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to seeing some better pictures. Are you happier more in general with the dark riders than with the Witches?

Also did you assemble the models and clean them or did they do that as part of the service. If so did they do a good job of removing the mold lines etc?

Thanks again
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Blue Table has a distinct style. They do a certain amount of base coating and highlighting with usual methods, then apply a tinted sealer that shades and provides a finish at the same time -- not really the "dip" method but can have a similar look.

I had them do a whole Tomb Kings army a long time ago and thought their style worked well for that particular army.
Truly These are the End Times ...