need help assembling Morathi

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Helle
Executioner

need help assembling Morathi

Post by Helle »

I recently bought Morathi off ebay. As I am unexperienced working with white metal miniatures and assembled resin and plastic miniatures only so far, I have a really hard time building her. I bought a drill and tried pinning her, but either I am doing it wrong or it isn't enough to only put in some pins.

Do you have any tips how to assemble metal miniatures in general or Morathi in special?
Kiatra
Trainee Warrior

Re: need help assembling Morathi

Post by Kiatra »

are your wire pins nearly the same size as the holes drilled? it should be a really tight fit to hold, almost tapping them in with the backside of the pinvise. the steps you use for a resin mini are the same you need for metal otherwise.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I don't know that I would pin Morathi - the parts you're attaching are too small to really need it. Usually pins are for big minis.

Just use a good glue that works well for metals and you should be fine. Now, her pegasus you'll want to pin, but her, not necessary IMO.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

one of my 3 metal morathi's had a very bad fit also. i just rammed her with a toobig buttplug and drilled her onto the peg(asus). then greenstuffed new knees for her where the joints didnt align correctly.

the other 2 fit perfectly. couldnt find out what was amiss with the one, so pinning/greenstuff solved it. sort of
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

I have problems with the Peg as the wings refuse to stay where they should be and the body parts do not match 100%.

Actually my wire pins are a little loose, so I will try other ones. Probably I will get a new glue aswell, do you have any recommendations?
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Helle wrote:I have problems with the Peg as the wings refuse to stay where they should be and the body parts do not match 100%.

Actually my wire pins are a little loose, so I will try other ones. Probably I will get a new glue aswell, do you have any recommendations?

Yes definitely, pinning the wings on the pegasus is pretty much required if you want any chance of them staying on.

As for the glue, GF9 makes a decent glue for metal. I use it and am happy with it.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

You can make strong joins without pins. I have metal hydras and a metal Morathi, never pinned any of them, and they are quite strong. Here's what you do.

Get a small amount of green stuff and roll out 2 thin strings. Put the 2 strings of green stuff in an "X" over the hole where the other piece will attach (so on Morathi, this will be the Pegasus body). Use a sculpting tool, craft knife, toothpick, etc., to push the greenstuff X down into the hole, but the ends of the X should still come up out of the hole. Put some superglue down in the hole, then join the 2 pieces together. Spray the join with a super-glue accelerant such as Insta-Set. Use a craft knife or blade of a sculpting tool to trim the ends of the green-stuff X flush with the join. You can use the trimmed-off ends to fill in any remaining gaps.

At this point, only the superglue is set, so don't submit to the model to a lot of stress. But i when the green stuff cures (takes a few hours to really fully cure) you will have a very strong join with no pins required.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

as for superglue accelerant, plain old spit works too.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

@ Dyvim tvar: Do you suggest to use superglue for an immediate fixation and greenstuff to hold it together tight after it dried? Basicly you get some greenstuff in the holes and use a X-shape to get 4 overlaps that go over the hole for better hold? In case of the Pegasus wings, would you plase your X in the dent on the Peg Body where the wings will be put?

@Melle: spit? I never tried it, but it sound suspicious. Did you try it before? And do you happen to know why it is working?
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

i guess water works too. the moist accelerate it. and yes ive used it alot.
assembling minis at work, not all the tools i need at hand some good ol' spit works a treat. i got the tip from one forum or the other's painting&modelling section

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

@Helle - You got it exactly.

As for spit, it doesn't really work that well. One bottle of Insta-Set will last a long time and is less than $10. Well worth the investment.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I will try to assemble it soon and hope it works this time!
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

oh, im not arguing spit is better than insta-set, it proabably isnt.
it was just a tip for tools at hand if you dont have insta-set available.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

It worked as you proposed. I espacially like the greenstuff+superglue variant! Thanks to all of you for the help.