GW Liquid Green Stuff - am I missing something?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

GW Liquid Green Stuff - am I missing something?

Post by direweasel »

Or does this stuff just plain suck?

Maybe I'm not using it for its intended purpose?

I am using it to try to fill in gaps where models join. Like most notably just now, I tried using it to fix the joins of the horses' necks on the old Dark Rider models (the ones before they went all psycho with the teeth). It looks good when it's wet; it's covered over the crack and I use a little water to smooth it out so it's not lumpy when it dries.

But then when it's dry, the stuff seems to contract a bit, and the crack is back. So what exactly did I just accomplish?
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: GW Liquid Green Stuff - am I missing something?

Post by Dalamar »

I have never used liquid green stuff but I would say when that happens... you're supposed to put down a second coat?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Dalamar wrote:I have never used liquid green stuff but I would say when that happens... you're supposed to put down a second coat?

If that works, sure. I've put two on, and wanted to see if I was wasting my time before doing a 3rd. It doesn't seem to be helping.

On the upside, I'd guess that bond is probably more secure than before, so I suppose that's a plus.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

It's designed less for gap-filling and more for filling in the small holes in finecast when airbubbles cause issues (GW's answer to 'how do we fix these air-holes').
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Oh, I don't own any finecast stuff. So I guess there's my answer.

Thanks!

Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

I've never used it for gap filling tbh. What I found it best for is making blood/ichor/slime running from wounds and mouths of models. Worked pretty good for some nurgle warriors I made.
It just takes a few coats to get big droplets.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

As stated before, I think it´s was designed to fill really small imperfections (FC bubbles) more than filling gaps. I have used to soften some rough surfaces or transitions between putty and an original miniature part in some conversions. I apply the liquid stuff, let dry and sand a bit with a really fine grain sandpaper, this way I achieve a smooth and even surface. Another use I found it´s for surfaces where the GS doesn't cling. I apply a layer of liquid GS and after it dries I can apply normal GS which clings enough to work on it.
Death before dishonor
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I agree that the stuff is obsolete.

The new plastic models are so well engineered that you don't need to worry much about gap filling. Just use a plastic cement and you barely need to worry about seams at all. And for some of the older metal and plastic models still around, the gaps are big enough that you need the real green stuff to fill them.
Truly These are the End Times ...