Wet Palette Tutorial

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Wet Palette Tutorial

Post by Amboadine »

Excellently presented tutorial. Like others, it pains me that I did not know this tip years ago.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Thanks for this.

I have a wet palette but have had trouble finding refill paper.

Using parchment paper is an excellent idea.
Truly These are the End Times ...
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Glad the tutorial was of use. And yes, I can't recommend the parchment paper enough. It's cheaper, much more readily available, and actually works better in my opinion.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

A quick update to note that I keep returning to this excellent tutorial - @direweasel, thanks again!

Until last week I was still using the reservoir and surface paper that came with the boxed palette, and it was doing a decent enough job. However, per your suggestions I've now moved to supermarket bought kitchen sponge (kind of 4mm thick) and baking parchment. I wish I moved over sooner. They're a massive upgrade on the original, in box versions, especially the sponge vs. the reservoir paper. With the original reservoir paper, when I occasionally added to much water in refreshing the palette, I would end up with water directly flooding through or washing over the paint - unsurprising as it was <1mm thick. The sponge gives much better clearance and gives you a lot more leeway in refilling the palette.

If anyone else is following this path, I'd recommend getting your DIY surface and reservoir "paper" equivalents the day you buy the palette itself.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Outstanding! Glad to have been of some assistance. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

Good read and good tutorial.

For mine, I used a takeaway tub and blister sponges...
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I read through this the other day and finally got into action with my own one. I never really understood how/why they worked but after giving it a go I'd have to say this is one of the biggest changes in my painting since I learnt to undercoat models before painting years ago.

I did a bit of a local search and the prices ranged from $30NZ to over $100NZ for a premade one and so, like many of you guys, I made my own.

Sandwich container + sponges + baking paper

=

And all closed up to save the paint, all for less than $10NZ :D

No actual sandwich for scale sorry...
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice idea Devil. I am going to have to steal reapply that.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I just got another tip from a video I was watching. I will edit my original tutorial and add that in, but wanted to add this note too, for those who have already read it and weren't planning on going back through it any time soon.

The sponge that holds the water can grow mold, as I mentioned. Here is a good way to stop this:

Put a single drop of anti-bacterial dish soap right on the sponge, fill it with water, and then let most of the water out. The soap will permeate the sponge and will help keep the mold from growing there.

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Neat update! Thanks again for the awesome tutorial - at the moment I'm painting just 20-30 min twice a week and the wet palette is a total lifesaver for mixed paint.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

flatworldsedge wrote:Neat update! Thanks again for the awesome tutorial - at the moment I'm painting just 20-30 min twice a week and the wet palette is a total lifesaver for mixed paint.

That's my life too. I am on vacation this week, so my production is up some, but that's only temporary. But yeah, before I found the wet palette, I pretty much never mixed paint because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to replicate the color again for a touch up on the same model, or to try to get the rest of the unit to match, or whatever.

Now I'm a lot more fearless about it. That by itself is enough of a reason to highly recommend them, for me. But it is only one of many.