GW painting Guides

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

GW painting Guides

Post by Phierlihy »

I was hoping to download a GW painting guide for Witch Elves but I don't own a tablet (and my phone is too small to bother using). Are there any alternate ways to get a hold of them that one can look at on a PC?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Re: GW painting Guides

Post by CitizenKhaine »

That is one of my bugbears! I talked to the GW reps as to why they only do apple support when android and PC far exceed them in market share in other devices. I couldn't understand why they would limit their opportunity to make sales. The answer (if you believe them) is that apple is considered (by them) to be an elite product where people are prepared to pay a premium for the product name, and this aligns with the GW philosophy. I was less than impressed by that statement! I argued that GW should be giving support to their customers not trying to be hipsters, but at that point we agreed we had a difference of opinion :?
I tried sending emails to GW HQ requesting their guides are produced in other formats but I am just :badh:

Some of those paint guides are available as PDFs on torrent sites, but they arent interactive and there is always a risk with sites like that. Still if GW refuse to take my money I have had to look elsewhere...
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Re: GW painting Guides

Post by flatworldsedge »

Hey Phierlihy - I have to say the general advice on YouTube/Google/here is far superior to the guide. Having already been done over by Apple when buying my iPad, I did raise my eyebrows at what GW wanted for their painting guides, but caved in when heading out of reliable wifi in the Tatras, and keen to have DE content to consume. (I've subsequently bought three of the Malus books for less by way of insurance policy of future such impulse purchases).

It is a visually attractive delivery mechanism for the painting guide, but in terms of content it is shockingly lacking. The "interactive" element is a disturbingly shallow gimmick, for instance! There are pages where they just list colours, without expanding upon the technique used beyond a brush size. Certainly the Witch Elf version is more detailed than the other DE guides, but still - if you're only seeking it for colour advice and an order of work, I'd suggest you'd find all of that better covered online.

PM me if there are specific steps/elements you're after and I can always type them up for you! Happy to help on that front.