[PLOG] The Grim Host of Malys the Younger

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Re: [PLOG] The Grim Host of Malys the Younger

Post by Shadowspite »

Arkheial just couldn't take it any longer. With a strangled curse he swung around, knocking the sword from Belzeth's hand. The blade flashed in the moonlight as it spun end-over-end to plunge its tip into the deep snow.

She blinked at him innocently, crossbow still propped beneath her pointed chin. But at least that awful noise had stopped: the thin, discordant wail of scimitar-spine against slave-gut bowstring that had accompanied the hunting band intermittently since they left Wrath Gate. The sudden silence was a blessing from Khaine Himself.

The other Shades just grinned.

"Khaine's Blood," Arkheial muttered under his breath as he turned back to the trail. "This is why we Shades don't have bloody musicians."

Behind him, he distinctly heard the sound of Belzeth drumming the flat of her hand against her leather bolt-case in a slightly off-kilter two-four beat...
Last edited by Shadowspite on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Ha! Awesome! Very thematic and a great vignette, thanks for posting!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

:)

I just felt sorry for that poor, musically-inclined Druchii who had the misfortune to be born among the Shade clans, where her natural aptitude for rhythm and harmony had no legitimate outlet. She could have been a Bride of Khaine. I mean, their horns aren't terribly musical, and they have blades on them (and usually end up so clotted with gore by the end of the battle that they no longer make much of a noise), but at least they are technically instruments. But no, she had to end up in the one unit in the entire Druchii army that gets no access to sound-producing implements of any kind. It's a tragedy. :P
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Updated Shades. I cleaned up the base edges, touched up some rub spots, and added static grass.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice indeed. Little details finish them off nicely.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

A deep red (in the crimson to brick range depending on preference) on the Cold One's skin would really pop off that dark blue and snow themed base.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Here is my converted Malekith on foot. I still need to sculpt his cloak.
I used a few reference art pieces to determine how I wanted to paint him and I ultimately settled on some of the artwork from End Times: Khaine. I think the biggest challenge with this model was all the black armor. Black in my opinion is hard to highlight because if it's not subtle it becomes....not black. The other challenges were his sword and his glowing palm. The palm was easy enough but trying to gauge exactly where to put the glow on Malekith and the ground was tricky. I didn't want the effect to be overpowering but it needed to take the edge off all the black. For the sword I wanted it too look magical yet destructive, so I wanted it to not glow, rather I wanted it to look insidious. I used an initial highlight of Khorne Red over black, followed by two washes with Carroburg Crimson, and then select highlights with 1:1 pink/red, another wash to dull it down, and then a final highlight on the tips.

Armor: Abaddon Black, Eshin Gray highlight, Drakenhoff Nightshade wash, specific Eshin Gray highlight
Gold: Game Color Gold, Agrax Earthshade wash, 1:1 Chainmail/Gold highlight
Cloth: Khorne Red, Carroburg Crimson Wash, 1:1 Khorne Red/Game Color Rosy Pink highlight
Sword: Abaddon Black, Khorne Red highlight, 2x Carroburg Crimson wash, 1:1 Khorne Red/Rosy Pink highlight, Carroburg Crimson wash, edge highlight 1:1 Khorne Red/Rosy Pink
OSL Effect: Ice Blue, highlighted up to 1:3 Ice Blue/White. Glowing areas were highlighted with the 1:2 mix.

As always, I'm open to critiques and criticism!