Cauldron of Blood. The Warshine kitbash edition

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Cauldron of Blood. The Warshine kitbash edition

Post by Holt »

I am currently running the older style CoB which is a great model but I get the feeling that it is just not quite right having it march amongst my Witches with no means of movement.

My solution to this? A kit bash of the current CoB model and the Chaos Warshrine model. I have never really been much of a fan of the current CoB but think that there are parts of it that would work great in conversions. The whole stair thing doesn't work for me but the cauldron itself and the crew definitely do. Mix this in with the mobility of the warshrine and I think I am on to a winner. There looks to be some chaosy symbols on there but we all know Khorne is Khaine :P and anything else can be dealt to by converting.

I guess I'm looking for some sort of internet gratification haha. So what's the verdict out there? Should I carry out this CoB conversion that is effectively more than twice the price for the same model?
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Re: Cauldron of Blood. The Warshine kitbash edition

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

Go for it :) it could look really awesome.
What will you do about the mutant war shrine bearer things?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I don't plan on doing too much, I kind of like the idea of slaves been forced to carry the cauldron into combat. The lack of attacks from them will be justified by them been too busy carrying the cauldron.

If there is anything too chaosy about them then I may do something about it, like the chaos icons on their backs. Removing the mutated arm/heads are a bit beyond my skills though.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

That sounds like an awesome idea! I love my warshrine model, it's my favorite from the WoC range. There's a huge sacrificial atmosphere about it that would fit in perfect with the Cauldron. Replacing the chaos totem with the idol of Khaine would fit perfectly, too. Add in your crew/Hag and it will be fantastic. Post some pictures when you have them!
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

It does sound very cool.

I personally hate the "will of the gods" self-propelling thing - it always felt like a quick excuse to justify a model they'd thrown to market half way through the design. The top is epic indeed, but would be so much cooler with a "proper" means of propulsion.

I intended to use the Aracknarock spider, and may still do, yet others have got in there first and done stunning jobs on it. One of those people is Dalamar in this group, and (apologies!) I can't find the other. Definitely pics on this site though.

The notion of slaves carrying it is indeed very Dark Elf, and I'd love to see it. 100% go for it! Cost is kind of irrelevant, I always feel, on these things - the logical extreme of saving money is just using chopped up cereal packets like I did when I was 11! Do a great job and you won't regret it for a second!

(Edit - corrected spelling only)
Last edited by flatworldsedge on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I rather like the "WOTG" thing as it provides me with a reason to something a bit fun. I've had it on my list to do for years, and one of these days I'll get to it, and we will see what y'all think of it. 8)
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Curse_Bearer wrote:There's a huge sacrificial atmosphere about it that would fit in perfect with the Cauldron. Replacing the chaos totem with the idol of Khaine would fit perfectly, too. Add in your crew/Hag and it will be fantastic. Post some pictures when you have them!

That's bang on what I am aiming for with the model. Something that looks like it would be used for sacrificing anyone(thing) that came near enough and I think that combining these 2 models may achieve this. There's a photo on the GW site looking down onto the warshrine and it shows a heap of skulls, hopefully I should be able to include that. And don't worry, photos will appear either here on on my blog, probably my blog so I can generate some interest :P

flatworldsedge wrote:Cost is kind of irrelevant, I always feel, on these things - the logical extreme of saving money is just using chopped up cereal packets like I did when I was 11! Do a great job and you won't regret it for a second!

This is a true statement if ever I read one. If anything, spending a bit more on models makes me like them that extra bit more, I know I actually had to work to get it. If that makes sense?

I have seen the spider conversions that are floating around. While they are impressive I don't really think they are me. I'd rather use the Arachnarok for a Soul Grinder conversion one day...

Lion of flanders wrote:I've had it on my list to do for years, and one of these days I'll get to it, and we will see what y'all think of it.

Feel free to wait until I have done my conversion before you do it better and take all the attention :P haha
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

The ingredients for my cauldron arrived today...

Oh, and some more warlocks, with another on the way :twisted:
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Awesome - had a look at the Warshrine in GW the other day, remembering your post. Think your conversion is going to look amazing. Look forward to seeing it evolve - please do share he pictures!

Oh and, to your your Warlock point, as I inspected the Warshrine, I got abuse from a Skaven player for having a pack of them in my other hand. Enjoy!
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Go Devil! That should be an awesome conversion, be sure to post early pictures.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I think the idea definitely has merit, if you're willing to toss out that kind of money then have at it. Be sure and post pics when you're done, I'd be very interested to see how the finished product comes out.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Thanks for the comments guys!

@flatworldsedge: For all that Skaven player knew, you were going to assemble them as Dark Riders! That's what my 2 boxes will become to replace my very old ellyrian reavers that I currently use. Don't judge! They are been replaced! haha.

And some pictures as requested. These are pretty w.i.p. as I don't want to glue the main parts together because it will make it super difficult to paint. Hopefully these are enough to give some idea of what is going on. They are quite large and can be reduced if requested.

On the warshrine there is a totem kind of piece that holds a daemon that is holding a large disc that takes the chaos symbols (which is now going to be a great disc of Tzeench for my daemons). This has been cut off about halfway up the totem to use as a support for the cauldron parts which have also had a little bit cut off the bottom, just to give a better area to fix to.

The whole piece in the first photo will now fit quite nicely into the "skull pit" on the warshrine while there is more than enough room for the witches (with a simple head swap so their hair wasn't blowing against the wind) to stand on the step leading up to the main "deck area" where the hag will be perched.

The ogres that carry the model have also been made up as per instructions, they just don't like standing up unglued.

Overall I am pretty happy with how it so going so far, the only thing that I would change if I was able to would be to cut the totem a bit higher up. With it been as low as it is there isn't room for the larger spikes that come out of the back of the cauldron. This could end up making it look very busy though so I'm not too worried about it.

The next section on the totem has a little chaos warrior on it too so I'm happy to have that removed, having the chaos symbols on the braziers is enough already. I was a bit disappointed that they were part of the model and not just little pieces to add on. They would be removed but that is a bit beyond my modelling skills so I will just have to deal with it. At least the front 2 symbols are Khorne and Slaanesh which fit right in with the Witch Elf way.

And yes, this thing is going to have a ridiculous height to it, about 270mm (10.5inches). It will demand attention!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking very impressive so far.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

That is freaking brilliant, without reservation.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I have pinned the model together with a few bits of super glue just to take some full photos. Incredible how talented those trolls are to prevent the statue from falling over :lol:

Left side

Right side

Full shot

And a size comparison with the CoB that I have been running for the last couple of years.

Will be quite a while before it sees the paint table I would imagine, when it does there will be photos though.
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Hell yes! That is looking brilliant, plenty of room for the witches to frolic on the deck :P
If rumours come true and we get to summon daemons, that will make your blend of models even better. Keep those posts coming.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

That is epic! I'd almost be worried about my sleeves catching on it when I reach across the table lol. I can't wait to see more!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Looks awesome, the pieces go together very well. and yes, it's one huge model, I feel sorry for the slaves carrying it. :D
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

You know, in this case, I almost think I like it better without the huge Khaine Statue on there. Just use that pedastal for your Hag Queen.

Just a thought.

Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

CitizenKhaine: Maybe I have started a theme for myself without really realising, Coldone Knights on chaos steeds, Dark Elf crew in Chaos chariots.... Ouch, my wallet :( haha

Malys the younger: To be honest, I hadn't thought about that. It will happen without a doubt but at least I will be that little bit more aware of it now.

Rowena: You're not wrong about how well all the pieces fit together. Especially the attendants. When I saw that they were standing at different levels to be used on the stairs I was a bit worried, quite relieved when there was a stepped area on the warshrine too.

direweasel: You know, that's a pretty good idea. I think that magnets may come into play here. One on the foot of the statue and one on the base of Hellebrone. That way I can still use Hellebrone on foot if I decide to give that a go.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Wow -- that's really cool.

Have fun transporting it ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Thanks Dyvim tvar :) I did give a bit of thought into how I was going to transport it and decided that it wasn't too much of an issue. Once it has a magnet put onto its base it will just sit on my carry case in the back seat of my car safe and sound. In saying that though, I will be flying to a tournament for the first time next year, which is when i plan to have this painted by, so will have to deal with that hurdle when I get to it I guess.
Ilphrin
Warrior

Post by Ilphrin »

Very nice idea!!
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

That is so insanely epic - breathtakingly well done. Incredible how well the WE's fit the deck, love how you used the stepped area so seamlessly. It's ace how the "Atlas" figure holding the cauldron itself linbks so neatly with the shrine-bearers. Really flows, and feels intended.

I completely get that it would be just as impressive and much more practical without the statue of Khaine, but nonetheless, the full build is so mindblowingly over the top I think you should keep it as is! I'd weigh down the base, FWIW, to help with the topple-factor. Can't wait to see it painted - hope, for your sanity's sake, you are still planning to do it in pieces.

(RE: the Warlocks, as you noted, this was his assumption. I am indeed building them as Dark Riders. Some people, eh?!)
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

You're not wrong about how well it seems to fit together flatworldsedge, all of the pieces just seem to fit in together quite nicely, almost intended as you say. Thanks for the positive comments :)

The base will be weighed down without a doubt, even though it is plastic it is still quite tall and reasonably top heavy just from the height. I am planning on having a friend paint it, he painted my previous CoB and did an amazing job. I'm sure I could do a decent job on it but I may as well go all out now that I have spent the money on it, no point doing things in halves right? Nothing worse than seen an amazing model and the paint job just not doing it justice.

I'm looking forward to been able to share some painted photos!