PLOG - The House of Corvus

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

" We are the Shadows, and Mist in your eyes.
We are the Phantoms, the hunt in the Night."

So to keep myself motivated and help get some feedback on how to do certain things better I decoder to make a PLOG for my army :3

The original idea for my army was one that was themed around Shadows, as I love the Lore and love deceiving and tricking people :twisted:
However with the release of the new army book the disc with Gods the Dark Elves worship caught my attention and especially The Lady of the Mists (may she forgive me for her name has slipped my mind :oops: ) and how a Corsair raiding fleet might worship her to have her grant there fleet a concealing fog so that they may get somewhere unnoticed.

And so started my idea of a "'Shadows in the mist' Corsair raiding party" :3

after some trouble I finally managed to finish my Dark Shards, next up will me some 20 Corsairs, then 10 COK. But first, the Darkshards :D
These are the first few 'decent' miniatures I created so I hope you will like them :3

Here is the Champion, ready to give our the order to Fire.

Next up is my Banner Bearer, standing very diligently and... unarmed... I'll work on that in the near future :lol: maybe have his RXB on his back or simply give him a shield.

Then now for the whole unit. I tried to make it look like they are walking/charging out of the mist that had been granted to them by The Lady of the Mists. hope it worked :3

Thanks for looking at my first few attempt and any constructive criticism you can give me is very welcomed as I try to make the most out of my Minis :3

Regards, The Lord of the House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: PLOG - The House of Corvus

Post by xFallenx »

great work on the mist effect. I remember reading you're plea for advice and thought you may be biting off more than you could chew, but you've made it work, kudos!
For the third rank you could just add great puffs of cotton and jam the odd head/torso/arm inside it to appear as though they are even more concealed… if I were to do it myself, it would probably just look like a bunch of incomplete snowmen.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Thanks :D I was rly worried about how it would turn out :lol: I'm glad it doesn't look too cheap. I tried 'fading' them in and going more grey as is reached the base but that started to look like I got lazy half way through painting !lol!

As for when I'd rank em deeper, I think i wont go much higher then the waist for foggyness. Else I'd feel like I'm wasting a full model on it.

Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

It looks a little bit like you might be using a bit too much paint on your brush. I bet if you wiped some off before you started you'd get a wonderful effect.

And good use of the colourscheme :)

Freehand on the standard looks great too.
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

Oh interesting idea... I've seen the cotton wool mist thing done before on ethereal units and plan to do it myself on my black knights, however, I'd never have even thought of using it on dark elves. The effect surprisingly suits them really well. :) I expect when used on a unit that has lots of motion in their pose, like corsairs and dark riders charging out of the mist, it will be absolutely ace! I know some people aren't keen on the use of stuff like cotton wool on their minis though, since it can collect dust and get quite manky over time.

On the subject of the painting, I would recommend shading your armour a little bit. Try a test mini to see the difference. A little bit of nuln oil will take away the flat tin foil-like glitter and give a more realistic look to the metal. :)
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Really interesting idea

Looking forward for updates, and as Vallasch pointed out I am especially curious to see a unit like corsairs charging out of the mist :)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

@Faeli-n:
I'll keep it in mind while working on my Corsairs. I'm also happy to hear that the Freehand looks good :D

@Vallash:
I have some great ideas for my Dark Riders, Shades and Scourge-Runner. I also have a nice idea for an Assassin but aslong as Im not fielding one that idea is on hold :D
Actually they are already shaded with Nuln Oil xD so its either the camera flash or i need to put it on thicker.

At the moment im hoping i can get the same effect with my Corsairs. they take up so much of the base i hope i have room for the mist xD

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Tought I'd place a small update on my work :3 (I apoligize for the quality of the pictures, my camera decided to give up on me)

work on my Corsairs went steadily

however after having done abit of work on all 20 of them I felt like I needed something to keep my mind occupied.
so I started work on my BSB. First I started on the banner

but I think I might have gone abit overboard with its size xD as I found out after I put it on my soon to be Corsaird BSB

Artfactial
Warrior

Post by Artfactial »

:shock:

That IS gargantuan.
And to think that the standard bearer is holding it with one hand! S3 you say?..

Apart from that: it is a wonderful thing, its size might be better for a banner posted on a chariot or on the back of a dragon/manticore.
But very impressive non the less.
I'd like to see a photo which shows the folds, but I'm sure we'll get to that when you start painting it.
Looking forward to that!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:but I think I might have gone abit overboard with its size xD as I found out after I put it on my soon to be Corsaird BSB

No way. Giant banners are awesome! You've made it so it flies back over your unit, so it won't get in the way of other units, so it will be just fine.

As for a guy holding it with one hand...that's why you have to be more awesome than most in order to be the standard bearer. :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

time for a long over due update on the House of Corvus :mrgreen:
been busy mass producing a few minis for a competition last weekend so not all of the basing is done yet.
but they are reprecentable enough for me to show now :lol:
I'll put another few pictures up once i get the Mists effects on them

first my Warlocks (who leaves home without atleast 1 unit of these mad f*ckers right?)
tho i absolutely hate the Warlock heads so i used some of the Dark Rider ones with the flying hair

next up i got a 5 Cold One Knights, these are part of what is gonna become a 10 man strong bus but for the tournament i only needed 5 so the others will soon follow suit :D

as always my apoligies for the poor photos :P the light in my room is terrible (all yellow lighting)

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

now my girlfriend found my pictures and she thought they were hideous , she is a certified photographer (and now she studies graphic design), so she 'volunteered' to photograph my new ones and make them look pretty. who am I to go against that? :roll:

so first my Darkshards

my Warlocks

and my Cold One Knights

now for some newer additions

first, my Kharibdyss named Callypso (gaming buddies got tired of breaking their tongue over its full names so we just called her this :P )

next up is my completed BSB on foot, of which i'm very proud :lol:

I'm still looking for ways to make the Raven 'pop' more, so any suggestions are welcome

then my Beastmaster on Manti, he lost his arm somewhere along the way (I bet the manticore ate it) but his new prosthetic is on the way. working on converting one of the spears from the Kharibdyss set to fit.

lastly my new project, my kit-bash Shades

Since i wanted a few spare Seadragon cloaks for any characters i make in the future, needed a few more bodies of Corsairs and still had the Dark Rider cloaks from the Warlock kit. I planned on using the spare bits to make Shades.
So the legs are Corsair legs to keep em dynamic, the Torso+Head are from the Dark Rider models, and the weapons and crossbows are Corsair weapons and handbows. the one in front doubles as Bloodshade and his Xbow arm is made from a Dark Shard hand and the Dark Rider crossbow.

I'm also working on my Corsair unit filler which i hope to have done by the end of next week :D

I also promised her to fit in her website ;) so for those interested
http://limaradragon.deviantart.com/
Last edited by Searinox Nagharha on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

You should patent those Shades as "Sneaky B*$7ard" Shades :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Some good looking kit bashed shades. Looking good.
Your models could do with some decorative bases ;)
Have you thought of using an ink wash over the paint, it will bring out the shading a bit more? Makes a big difference.
Will take a look around the website link. Thanks.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

I know :P working on that now. most will have the stones I used on my Kharibdyss on their base as well together with the mist effect.
I haven't thought about an ink wash, I'll keep it in mind :D

sounds like a good idea TD :P will look into how I can do that xD

anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Nice update!
You should let her take all of your army shots from now on.
They look much better ;)

I just assembled my warlocks and was thinking "oh I have extra cloaks!". Nice to see these can be used to make such great shades! 8)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

thanks, she's nvr gonna let me hear the end of it now :roll:

yeah they worked out quite nice, tho it was a pain to get the spacing between the torso and legs right. cause you cant just glue em on... well you can... but it just doesnt look right xD

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

And we're back! all the way from Page 5!
Finnally I was able to wretch the pictures from my GF she toke of my army and was able to upload them !lol!
My army is rly comming together with me now having ~1700 points painted minus characters.
note, most of these guys have been done for months but because of school I havent been able to get the pictures back

so first, my finished shades!

I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Especially my 'Fence-Hopper' (who for a few weeks of battle simply went by the name 'The Fence' since I was still figuring out how to mount him ontop of it)

Next up, my ScourgeRunner. I never leave home without it and it never stops to amuse me (something good, sometimes bad)

now my Corsair unit filler. Since my main opponent uses The Empire I asked him to paint the Prisoners that are about to get captured.
My plan is to some day have a unit filler like this for each enemy army out there.

and a few whilest inside the unit

well there is my progress so far.
at the moment I am just about to finish 10 Dark Riders so with some luck I'll have pictures up before the end of the year (propably in the first week of the new year ;) ) and am gathering the final few pieces for my SS and DreadLord on Pegasi

I hope you guys like the update and as always any feedback is welcome! :mrgreen:

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Inspired use of cotton wool :D
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

T.D. wrote:Inspired use of cotton wool :D
What's it represent; mist and fog?
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice update. Been a while coming :)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Noble korhedron wrote:
T.D. wrote:Inspired use of cotton wool :D
What's it represent; mist and fog?

Yep, I got the idea when i saw the list of Gods the Elves worship and saw Ladrielle, Lady of Mist.
For me and my gaming back ground it just made sense to worship a goddess who controlled the fog to be able to confuse the enemy and hide ones presence.

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

I'm still looking for ways to make the Raven 'pop' more, so any suggestions are welcome

Maybe an outline in Codex Grey (or whatever its called these days...) and a extreme highlight in Fortress Grey? That might give it some definition and make it pop off the standard?

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Why are there cotton balls in all your pictures? Are you trying to make snow?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Phierlihy wrote:Why are there cotton balls in all your pictures? Are you trying to make snow?
If you checked my last response to this topic, you'd see they represent mist and fog. I don't disagree with you wondering what they're for though; I was confused enough myself to ask the Q.
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.