[PLOG] Har Ganeth XIII Legion

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: [PLOG] Har Ganeth XIII Legion

Post by Lord Drakon »

Update Legionnaires, highlights added, five models in the back nearly finished
[+] SPOILER

Highlighted the tunics
[+] SPOILER

Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

I really like the character of your army and your new Leggionaries fit in very well. Also the way how those special helmets disctinct the command group is awesome.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice update. Good looking unit.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Hello Druchii.net!

I had a great refreshing summer and new motivation and inspiration for Warhammer. I missed last tourney but will have another chance in november with 2000 points. My plan is to build the 2000 list out of the 1000 list and so first finish this cohort.

For a long time I was struggling with what to do with the banners, but there are a lot of red Roman banners for inspiration so I decided to go that route.

Image and Image

Today I took my paints again since long time and started with my Battle Standard Bearer, Khaled the Collector. Although I first tried NMM gold armour for the cold one armour the combination of red and silver/metal seems more Roman and more my style. But especially with the banner I got into problems. I had no idea where to highlight and where to put shadow. I tried the NMM gold eagle and XIII but I am not satisfied.

Therefore I need your help! How do you paint big red banners!?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great to see you back into painting again! I like your inspiration, it's a bit hard to see your banner, the pic is quite small (any chance of a close up).

I would start by just getting the flat colour down first with a base then add some depth to the ripples in the flag with a darker and lighter colour.

Once the flag base is sorted then work out the details - start with a small sketch on paper of what you want.

I would then work on painting the base of the design and work up to the details / highlights etc
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Not with NMM techniques.

I have the old GW paints for the most part. Base with Scab Red, first highlight in Red Core, second in Blood Red. Feather the edges of the highlights wherever possible. I like using Gryphonne Sienna as a final glaze to bring everything together and define the shading better. And it's reddish-brown, so it dirties up the red just enough to look like fabric without making it look like it needs to go in the laundry. Best of all, it goes well over gold metallics as well, saving you a step and a lot of detail work when glazing the insignia.

With a Gryphonne Sienna glaze, you want to base the metals in Shining Gold, first highlight in Burnished Gold, and a top highlight with a 3-1 mix of Burnished Gold and Mithril Silver. Again, since it's on fabric you want to feather the edges of the highlights whenever possible.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately I don't have the metal paints, but I will buy them asap!

Here is a second try, still not satisfied, but better than first try!

I am not sure what to do with the loose ends of the flag waving in the wind at front and back. Also doubting if the outer lines of the flag need a bright or metal colour or something.

Do you guys think it will complete the flag by adding those lightning things under the eagle as is the case in most roman flags

I decided to (try) make this my best painted model so far, so I am likely going to repaint all metal into NMM as soon as I am finished with the banner!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Looks great! Yes I think the lightning would be a good addition. perhaps in a different color like white.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I am not sure what to do with the loose ends of the flag waving in the wind at front and back. Also doubting if the outer lines of the flag need a bright or metal colour or something.

I think I might be inclined to paint the fly edge and schwenkels (those three streamer-like things) in the yellow / NMM gold colour. The tassels below the finial, too.

Do you guys think it will complete the flag by adding those lightning things under the eagle as is the case in most roman flags.

I think it would look good with 2-3 lightning bolts emerging from under each of the eagle's wings and radiating out towards the lower corners of the flag, as those quadrants look a little empty at present.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks again for fast replies!
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I have completed one side of the model! What do you think? Is the metal on the Raptor sufficient or need it improvement?
I took off the eagle for now but also like to hear what you think of the eagle on top of standard!

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice - looks good.

Any chance of a slightly closer up shot, to see the detail better?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Nice - looks good.

Any chance of a slightly closer up shot, to see the detail better?

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Looks good. Definitely needs something on the top of the flagpole, though.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes - now that you point it out I agree.

Thanks for the larger pic by the way looks good!
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

The odd spot of red or gold on the rider would also be a good idea. I know you don't want to detract from the banner by making the rest of the model too colourful, but I do think the rider looks a bit too monochrome. Maybe paint the bells (and that key - I think it's a key?) gold and the cords they are hanging from red? And maybe do the antlers on his helmet gold too?

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks for the feedback! I really apreciate it, and will try the suggestions asap. As soon this side is finished I will paint the other side. There I want to put LEGIO XIII
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

So I am again in Uganda until the weekend and somehow the tropical climate creates the desire to get back into the hobby again! Another Bloodstorm tournament is launched for 26 March giving me two months to build a new army. It is for the 9th age and 4096 points, the tournament is focused on slaughter so it seemed fun to me to go crazy with my all time favourite unit: Druchii Gladiators (Dancers of Yema)!

Here is the army list I want to bring and complete:

Dread Prince, Cult of Yema, Headman’s Axe, Crimson Mail, Charm of Cursed Iron, Dragonfire Gem - 495
Cult Priest, Cult of Yema, BSB, Divine Altar, Light Armour, Gladiator Weapon, Obsidian Nullstone, Lucky Shield - 698

15 Legionnaires, Cult of Yema, Full Command, Spears - 270
15 Legionnaires, Cult of Yema, Full Command, Spears - 270
5 Dark Raiders, Cult of Yema, Musician, Repeater Crossbows, Shields – 250
5 Dark Raiders, Cult of Yema, Musician, Repeater Crossbows, Shields – 250

29 Dancers of Yema, Full Command, Rending Banner - 748
5 Raven Cloaks, Additional Hand Weapons - 180
5 Raven Cloaks, Additional Hand Weapons - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180

5 Dark Acolytes, Cult of Yema, Champion - 390

Total: 4091

This means some extra Assassins Creed chaff, another Roman Legionary unit, three banners in the same style as that BSB was painted, remodelling and painting two RBT and ofcourse the largest project: build 9 new Dancers and paint 19 of them. I am also looking forward to repaint my Altar as I love the conversion but not the paint job.

Special note to the Gladiator block. I both love the Cold One Knights on foot conversion as 10 more Gladiator style conversions for my Druchii Gladiators so will try to find how to mix them fittingly in one unit. For those 9 new model my preference goes the knights on foot style.

Tactical wise the list is simple, I created a very killy general in an even more killy block of elite infantry combined with an altar. Enough chaff en shooting to possibly win the chaff war and create board control. Two blocks of 15 spears to protect the main block flank, be used for sacrifice or do other interesting things. As you can see I will try to go without Oracle and use the Acolytes as magic users. Looking forward to find out how this list works the coming time!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

List looks great - a lot of work you have there - good luck painting it all :D
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks Cult!

It is indeed a lot of pointing in relative short amount of time but that will provide a nice hobby project for the coming time. My painting plan is as following:

15 Legionnaires (+ banner)
15 Legionnaires (+ banner)
5 Raven Cloaks
5 Dark Raiders
2 RBT
19 Dancers of Yema (+ banner)

If time allows it:
Re-paint
Lord Drakon (Dread Prince)
Divine Altar
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

First unit of Legionnaires is finished!
Banner need some feedback and the Spartan centurions will be further highlighted

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Your a painting machine - they look great!

Love those command helmets - they add a nice feel to the army.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Your a painting machine - they look great!

Love those command helmets - they add a nice feel to the army.

Thanks, I copied your shields techniques as inspiration! What is your view on the banner, I feel it needs some more but unsure where and what. I tried to paint NMM letters of LEG - XIII but failed. Any tips how to paint letters free hand?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Painting banners are always fun and a challenge. I don't know how many I have painted, finished and then decided to start again!

The banner looks fine to me - it's a bit hard to tell in the pic (can you post a close up?)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I found out I did not have enough metal Cold One Knights anymore to make 10 new Dancers of Yema so I bought the games workshop Sisters of Slaughter. However I do not like their original heads to did head swaps, especially with heads from the green brethren Wild Riders. It is going be a challenge to make this Dancers of Yema horde look coherent as there are three different conversions/builds in there! It are the helmets that will hopefully do the trick, as the Wild Rider helmets are a bit similiar to the old Cold One Knights helmets.

10 new Dancers of Yema

29 Dancers of Yema + Dread Prince + Cult Priest on Divine Altar

Close up

Here WIP Army Shot

Dark Raiders

Dark Acolytes

Shades

Cult Priest with Battle Standard Bearer

I am not sure yet what to do with the Reaper Bolt Throwers. This is the army I want to complete before March 26, all feedback and suggestions are welcome!