[PLOG] Har Ganeth XIII Legion

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [PLOG] Har Ganeth XIII Legion

Post by cultofkhaine »

that block in the middle is a beast!

The dancers look interesting - nice choice of bits.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks Cult! Are you building a new army? Based on your januari work Saurus Ancient character :)

While the second unit of Legionnaires is progressing slowly I made some time to undercoat, base and make repairs to the rest of the army. Especially the Reaper Bolt Throwers changed quite a bit into something unique and nice. I also really like my second unit of 5 Raven Cloaks, this time a mix from the metal models and plastic kit bashes. Because I was tired of the drybrushing of metal on the Legionnaires I tried something new. Just paint fundamental colours on the new Raven Cloaks, so far red and white, but already a big difference from the black undercoat.

Altough there are no points I can achieve with the next bloodstorm tournament (I think) I just want to field a cool well painted Dread Elf army with a Roman theme. Normally you can score these points:

- Painted (0-4): all of your army has received a decent coat of paint, with different colours used to distinguish different areas
- Detailing (0-6): the whole model is painted with care and attention to detail. Models are painted to high standard
- Basing (0-2): all bases are painted and flocked.
- Banners (0-2): the army features eloborate and distinctive banners, with freehand painted designs
- Conversions (0-2): several character models or units are converted in some way to enhance visual theme of your army
- WOW factor (0-2): the army has impressed the jury because it is painted to very high standard

The conversions are made (2) and basing also nearly done (2) and instead of my normal way of painting I am considering speed painting. First get that other 4 points for painting the whole army, so paint all basic colours on all models (skin, cloth, armour) and only then start detailing. I have the feeling that especially the beginning might be fun and relaxing because you progress fast with each model instead of taking ages. Do you guys have experience with this sort of 'speed painting'?

Then reward myself the painting of banners after I become bored by the fast but simple painting.

I do feel that if I get to finish my army and even have time left to re-paint some of the centerpiece models I have with new learned NMM skills such as Divine Altar and Lord Drakon himself I can create a WOW factor because of overall theme. What are your thoughts?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

My youngest son decided he liked lizardmen and has con'd me into painting a 1500pt army for him (something different I guess).

My next project will be a Slanesh themed Ghrond army - it's all built just need to get time to paint it.

With regards to speed painting I follow a fairly mundain process painting in batches of 10 sometimes 20. Base, Wash, Highlight etc.

I have never worked on a whole army in one hit - might be an interesting challenge.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Looks great so far! Ah interesting looking forward to it :D

I completed the banner, finally succeeded in getting the XIII Legion as how I wanted it (actually just simple yellow)

First Cohort Legionnaires

In comparison to BSB Captain on Raptor, Eagle as standard army symbol

Close up

Comparison to earlier version

Bolt Throwers, need to be repainted, familiar conversion but now on legal base

New Raven Cloaks with some simple base colours, thinking about doing the same to Dark Raiders soon. I now used white but change it to grey as base colour so it can be highlighted to white cloth.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I had some time painting tonight. Painted all the bases, 20 left to be flocked and then complete. I also tried out the army speed painting and really liked it! Hopped from one unit to the other, when something took too long just switched to another unit or model. I got to paint the skin base (Tanned Flesh) on 10 Legionnaires, 5 Shades and 3 Dancers of Yema. Finished all shields on the Legionnaires including highlight and then decided it was time for another banner.

I painted the Dancers of Yema (all who know my battle reports know I love this unit) banner and after finishing the plain yellow LEG - XIII became inspired and did a small conversion: the Roman Eagle standard on top. Found the banner too basic so started some things out and actually really liked the result while discovering a new paint technique (the chain looking sides + bottom).

When finished I was really satisfied but noticed how little painting attention I actually gave my beloved Druchii Gladiators (Dancers of Yema) which led to the following result! Can't wait to transform the other 9 to the same standard.

In comparison to how he first looked

Dancers of Yema Standard Bearer
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Love the standard top - is that green stuff you used or a bit from somewhere?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

If I remember well it is from a Wood Elf mage. I have to confess that although I love converting I have not owned or used greenstuff before, tried it once but was very difficult to get a soft mix (was second hand so maybe very old). Might be worth it in the future!

To finish the night I played around with Lord Drakon himself. I only used white, is it too much or improvement?

Former version
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

The white is a nice improvement adds some contrast to the model.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Cultofkhaine wrote:The white is a nice improvement adds some contrast to the model.

Thanks! I will probably also repaint the sword to make it something more special maybe try to make it look like a magical sword.

Got some time again today and my goal is to flock 20 Dancers, add one layer of highlight to 15 Legionnaires and give 5 Dark Raiders first layer of clothing. To reward myself for finishing the industrial work I will start repainting the Divine Altar.

The last two models gave me the joy of experiencing leveling up to a new standard of painting instead of incidents (the dragon).

Really satisfysing combination of finishing an army as a whole in simple steps of each around 1 hour and rewarding yourself with a banner or character.

Units also look much better when painted with basic colours than all black for playing in the meantime.

Thanks for the activr feedback Cult, it also really helps to keep up the progress!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

It's good to see an army progressing. I'm struggling to find the time at the moment.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Hello there! I am repainting my Bolt Throwers into NMM. Cold Ones are also getting another paint scheme. This is my first try on one of their sides. Second is the old paint scheme.

Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

The new scheme works well. I have learned that higher contrast is important if you want the models to "pop up" from the table.
Your old scheme is more natural, but the new one is visually more appealing. Well done.
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

A definite improvement :-)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I finished the second unit of Legionnaires and two Reaper Bolt Throwers (one nearly finished) for the february challenge.

Legio XIII Cohort II

I am especially happy with how the banner turned out

I changed the banner of Cohort I a bit. I used more highlights in the new unit, what do you think?

Raptor Bolt Thrower

Raptor Bolt Throwers (crew and candle still needs to be done of second RBT)

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Love the command group models and freehand :shock: 8) :D
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

T.D. wrote:Love the command group models and freehand :shock: 8) :D
Oh my GOD yes, that Cohort II bobcat/lynx banner is amazing!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

that banner rocks - very well done!!!

Army coming together very nicely.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

*steals you away to paint all my banners*
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Har Ganeth Invasion PLOG

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thank you all! As mentioned some posts ago I am experiencing leveling up with painting and it is very satisfying to amaze myself with every new paintjob.

I also really like the colour scheme on these old Cold Ones, they are true eye catchers when you like at the army overall. Actually it made me to enthusiastic that I have a cool new conversion idea for 4 Raptor Chariots.

Because of the conversion I can also place them on 100x50 base and use them as Scourgerunners

Here is the comparison to former RBT.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I really like this conversion - its a nice use of parts.

Keep the inspiration coming :D
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Shades

5 Dark Riders, 20 Dancers of Yema and 1 BSB on Altar left!

I might improve some of the older Shades when I have extra time

My next objective is the BSB on Altar and I are really looking forward to that big project
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

they came out great!

I have almost finished my lot for Feb - working on march soon.

Looking forward to your altar.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Nice job, also looking forward to the altar
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Slow progress on the BSB but can finisg it this week.

I was also not feeling the love for my newest Dancers of Yema while absolutely love the old Cold One Knights on foot conversion so decided to go for the latter option for my big block. This means 19 more new models and are all metal! Ofcourse also something need to sacrifice their legs so 7 old Black Guard and 12 old Executioners will have to be cut in half (and upgraded to being mounted). They will all have an weapons swap to something more gladiator style worthy.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

10 more Druchii Gladiators / Dancers of Yema are made and weapons changed to more WYSIWYG (halberds, flails, whips, net). I bought another 6 online but still came 4 short so decided to go for unit fillers. Another Druchii general might have 4 knights spare so if the fillers fail I can still swap them for normal models.

However I think the unit fillers might actually contribute to the theme and visual effect of the unit. My plan is to paint them as cheetahs, you know, wild cats thrown in the arena to fight with the gladiators. The visual effect is the yellow inside the dark, red and metal colours but especially the theme might create the unit into a small diorama. One of the cheetahs will be run out of the unit into the enemy surrounded by the Dancers with a whip, forcing him into the enemy. The other cheetah will be in the back of the unit in combat with the Dancer with the net who is just about to capture him.

Although I already have a Roman theme in the army, a Roman Druchii legion that is/was on expedition in the wild lands of Arabia can even give it a little more feeling. The Acolytes are already African Shamans on Zebra's. Monkey on Cohort I standard. Now the Cheetahs in the Gladiator/Dancer unit. Then some more unit fillers with African spoils of conquest such as ivory, gold, wild animal skins might further add to the theme.

What do you think?