Are you a Purist or does anything go!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Are you a purist or does anything go?

Purist
23%
Anything Goes!
77%

Total votes: 26

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Are you a Purist or does anything go!

Post by cultofkhaine »

So I have recently been reassessing my Druchii army and have found my self at a crossroads with my collection of some 16,000pts (give or take)

I have a huge number of out of the box models - they have been assembled, primed and ready to paint. I'm in the process now of breaking that pts total down into smaller size themed armies based on the different Druchii cities (about 3000pts).

I also have a vast number of models that I have kit-bashed to make other units... here lies my conundrum.

I have units made with wood elf heads and high elf breast plates carrying corsair weapons (they look great) but somehow it just does not feel right fielding them in an army next to my reliable 7th edition out of the box warriors.

Do I mix and match or do I remain a purist and group my converted models into one army and keep the originals in another.

Also my dilemma goes further - I have pretty much the whole range of models from 7th edition, some early 6th edition models and I'm now starting to acquire models from 8th edition, do I field two units of BG from different editions in the same army. Again to me this looks odd.

What does the DNet Community think?

I have setup a poll and would appreciate your vote.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Are you a Purist or does anything go!

Post by Thraundil »

I am torn on your vote options. I am no purist: several of my dark rider models are plastic DR torsos on wood elf glade rider legs + horses. My shades are corsairs with warrior crossbow arms + a hand weapon. And of course my pegasus riders are converted from bret pegs, cold one knights and vargheists. I even use tomb king chariots pulled by cold one knight mounts as cold one chariots, and I plan to attempt mounting a bolt thrower in one of them to make a makeshift scourgerunner.

But your other vote option - "anything goes". This implies you could also use goblin archers as crossbowmen. So no - not anything is OK in my book ;)

For example, fielding plastic and metal black guard in the same unit would not work for me, simply from an aesthetic point of view. The models are too far apart. Same goes for metal and plastic witch elves. But having two units of black guard in the same army - one metal and one plastic - would work for me. Maybe they are units from two different towers :)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I've been tempted to make a theme for each unit. But then I love the grandiose look of a coherent style across all units :S
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I'm a purist when it comes to both unit design and army design.

But that doesn't mean I won't have contrasting models in my collection. I've got some beautiful metal Witch Elves and Executioners and I'd be happy to break them out for individual games when necessary, but not to include them in army-wide shots :)

Edit: By purist I mean "the look" I am looking for; I tend to prefer conversions and kitbashes over vanilla options.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Blydz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blydz »

Everything suits since the result pleases you.
We have each our visions and our opinions on what should be our models and army.

Moreover, in a way we shape us to the point of view of the GW's sculptors.
Not follow this vision, it's already to try to obtain a result more in agreement with what pleases us.
You are not the center of the Universe. We are. - Disciple of Khaine Manifesto. Line 9

My PLOG
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I almost clicked "purist" without reading your explanation first, I'm glad I didn't.

I am a "purist" in the sense that I don't do proxy models, in the sense that "this unit of dark shards is actually wood elf glade guard because I want to do end times".

But I do mix and match parts to make units, that's a good thing. It's called "conversion" and it's how we make an army our own. I don't really care for the latest Executioner minis and I want some new Executioners, so I'm going to buy those wood elf guys with the double handed glaives (I forget what they're called and don't want to look it up). But I'm going to paint them up to match the rest of my army and they will be Executioners, not part time executioners and part time Wood Elves for End Times.

My Plog has numerous examples of "mix and match" parts of stuff that I bring together from other armies and especially older editions to come together. I have 3 editions of witch elves in the same UNIT sometimes. My Bretonnian mounted sorceress, my "Batmobile" chariot, all are examples of things that I've "borrowed" from other army lines and turned into a Dark Elf unit.

Hope that answers the Q :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

When I get even a second of my life back and have a moment to paint, I hope to back up my "anything goes" vote with some more progress on my PLOG. I admit to disliking willful changes in this regard (i.e. models that an opponent constantly re-proxies between games - e.g. if someone had some Dwarf Xbows that he called Glade Guard one week, then Swordmasters the next, etc.). I also dislike it if there's no story, it's just convenience or gamesmanship.

However, if someone's crafted a story and army in an interesting way, then I'm up for pretty much anything.

I was planning to paint up some Bestigors to use as Black Guard, as part of a primitive Autarii cult, but (i) I'm off infantry at the moment and (ii) since that plan my regular opponent has adopted Beastmen and it feels like it overlaps too much with his territory.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

I like to keep things as pure as possible. having said that I am currently working on a Shade unit made from Dark Eldar Scourges, as am I looking for models that could work for a "mobile Black Guard"-unit.

also I have 2 different units of Darkshards, one 7th and one 8th. as said they dont fit together because they are so different.
yet the way i have them painted and assembled the Bigger of the two units belongs to my Sorceresses Army and are Grondishly themed whilest the smaller unit contains more colors that belong to my Dreadlords House.

works pretty well ^^
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

Purist or does anything go!? I think it's up to you.
Personally I have some very standard units but also some units with minis from 3 or 4 different editions (that I often call militia). If you paint them a bit in the same scheme the differences get a lot smaller, though.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Oops, I clicked purist thinking the topic was "do I mix my units with the filth of Athel Loren or Ulthuan or do I keep them strictly Druchii". I haven't fielded an army of the Eternity King and don't expect to.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for your input guys, it's given me much to think about.

I'm in the process of working on a Black Ark Fleet list for the invasion comp and armies on parade this year.

I got some of those fancy warrior Kraken shields a while back and I'm still deciding how to do my warriors. I have a tonne of old 7th edition warriors I can use straight out of the box or mix and match them with corsair bits to create something unique.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I love conversions (and I think Marchosias would not even allow an unconverted GW miniature in our army, so yes, we're probably purists in this regard as well :D ), but I guess I wouldn't be very happy with mixing too different-looking models if there wasn't a fluff justification. But nobody says you can't invent one just because you need to use the models together...
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.