Cool Stuff

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Cool Stuff

Post by T.D. »

!eek!

Nice reboot of some old classics!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Ming
Black Guard

Re: Cool Stuff

Post by Ming »

Indeed!
Even if I'm not totally sold about pieces of scenery included on the base
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Those models aren't bad, but from what I've understood the rest of the box is just GW regurgitating old minis. Shame really, and an easy no thank you.
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Darkmark wrote:Those models aren't bad, but from what I've understood the rest of the box is just GW regurgitating old minis. Shame really, and an easy no thank you.

If you compare the price to similarly sized clampacks (Harlies, the new Autarch), the four models alone add up to around £70. At £75 for the whole assassin game, I think "regurgitating old minis" is hardly approriate. They are basically giving you a bucketload of Chaos stuff for free, the rules for a fiver and the assassins at list price.

It's about perspective. This game is a very good deal by GW.
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

GW really has spun some voodoo for people to actually think single plastic characters should be priced around the 20-25€. Claims that you're paying for the 4 assassins and the rest of the box is a 'bonus' is ludicrous to me.

The DV, SpaceHulk, Spacewolf, and Blood Angel big boxes had a lot more bang for buck i.e value than this set. This box reeks of stock clearance and convenience. Had the chaos minis been all new sculpts then my opinion would be very different.

If people have a great time playing the game then good for them, I'm not knocking that. I just think GW should be working harder for people's money than including old push-fit marines in new sets.
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Darkmark wrote:GW really has spun some voodoo for people to actually think single plastic characters should be priced around the 20-25€. Claims that you're paying for the 4 assassins and the rest of the box is a 'bonus' is ludicrous to me.

The DV, SpaceHulk, Spacewolf, and Blood Angel big boxes had a lot more bang for buck i.e value than this set. This box reeks of stock clearance and convenience. Had the chaos minis been all new sculpts then my opinion would be very different.

If people have a great time playing the game then good for them, I'm not knocking that. I just think GW should be working harder for people's money than including old push-fit marines in new sets.

"Spun some voodoo"? Most single character resin models from other companies cost the same as GWs plastic clampacks. Are they expensive? Yes. Are they optional? Also, yes. That GW single models are expensive is nothing new, I payed £15 for my pewter Chaos Obliterators back in 2003. It's not about "spinning some voodoo", it's about realising what you are arguing. You are both complaining about price AND "regurgitating old minis". Whether you want them or not, the Chaos models in the assassin box are £39 worth of stock models that serve the purpose of this specific stand-alone game.

Speaking of which, it is kind of ironic that you refer to the Space Wolf and Blood Angels box sets - as I recall, they were two single new character models and a bunch of old stock minis, including that godawful Dreadnought that no one ever uses. Space Hulk, I agree, was really good value, but it also had full-cast single pose miniatures cast like regular board game pieces, not multi-part plastic kits. DV (and Island of Blood) I agree were really great sets. They were also starter sets designed to get you into the game systems (Island of Blood even had an "expand your army" gallery in the book showcasing High Elf and Skaven kits), and aren't really comparable design-wise to the assassins game. One a side-note there; would the assassin game somehow be better if they rehashed the DV-minis instead of the snapfit ones?

My point is, this game is a good value boardgame. Comparable games from Fantasy Flight or other manufaturers are in the same price bracket. But because they're GW, people slam them for trying to somehow "rip people off" instead of producing something all new, every week, all year long. Your point of view is very common among literally all the comment fields all over the internet, but I disagree. I think that the assassin game, isolated, represents a good product, even with the rehashed models.

For the record though, I won't be buying it. I have little interest in it, and will instead do my share of adding to the problem by trying to get some calliduses off of eBay. I'm no GW apologist, I just think the crap thrown at them for every single thing they release is getting out of hand.