Homemade Cauldron of Blood

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Elrithral
Trainee Warrior

Homemade Cauldron of Blood

Post by Elrithral »

I generally don't upload painting stuff, because I don't think i'm a particularly good painter. However, i've struggled to come to terms with the price of a Cauldron of Blood and thought i'd try and make my own.....but I want to know if my effort is too crap to try and use on the table. Constructive criticism welcome....should I just pay the money for the real one or is this ok?

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Homemade Cauldron of Blood

Post by Vulcan »

Looks fine to me. It's certainly not going to be confused with anything ELSE on the DE list!
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

In the end it is your model, so if your friends want to criticize your model, they can buy you the cauldron and then you can paint it how they like it.

it is hard to see the blood, have you used "blood for the blood god" I know that gives a very wicked and nice blood effect. And to agree with Vulcan, there is little doubt what it is suppose to be.
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

That should pass for a Cauldron of Blood in any friendly gaming environment.

Hmm, but looking at that cauldron and the rock behind it... I'll throw in a thought. You could add a block of styrofoam behind the cauldron, of almost the same height. You can then cut out some of the foam to create a "slot" in which the cauldron can slide in, like they were made to fit. Finally, you can cut some stairs into the foam which lead to the top. It would mimic the real model a lot with fairly easy to use materials.
If you make the foam large enough, you could still fit the monolith (or piece of it) on top, to make it look like a part of the whole instead of two individual pieces on a base.
It's worth the shot, and it might make it look better than the real one :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Post by The_Peacemaker »

Hey, its a cauldron, its got blood, and powered by khaine.

RAW it passes.

:)

It's looking good. I would keep adding more to it. If you don't have the right bits now then just wait until you do. It can be an ongoing project.
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Looks like a great project to work on, how about working in some sort of movement? The CoB is powered by the gods so anything goes, you could lift the skull slightly and put cotton wool under or around it so it seems to float on mist. Or greenstuff in the tormented souls of all the sacrificed victims like the vampire models.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If the model is bathing in blood, shouldn't she be wet and...you know...bloody?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Phierlihy wrote:If the model is bathing in blood, shouldn't she be wet and...you know...bloody?

She made the cardinal sin of swimming pools: she took the stairs.

I like it the pic. Gives me an idea on working on mine as I am less then impressed with the GW one and would like it, um, more travel size!

WOuld Monster/chariot size base work?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

60x100mm only
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

Whenever I see models bathing in the cauldrons i can't help but think back on this ANCIENT picture I have from my youth.

Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer