Describe Warhammer Fantasy Battle in 10 Models

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Describe Warhammer Fantasy Battle in 10 Models

Post by T.D. »

Discussion topic shamelessly stolen from Groza on Warseer :P

10 Models that sum up Warhammer to you?

Here's mine:

1. Original Bloodthirster

The Heroquest Gargoyle x10000 units of awesome. Finding out the backstory to the inspiration behind the Heroquest arch-baddy made a big impression on an impressionable mind. Warhammer's Balrog, with a unique Dog-headed twist. Amazing fluff, amazing power in game, amazing model. Amazing!

2. Original Keeper of Secrets

I first discovered the Keeper through the playing cards. Enormously charismatic model, with a mysterious name; setting off deep cultural associations reverberating all the way back to the Biblical and Babylon periods. Didn't realise the perversion level of Slaanesh at that point. Once I bought Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness I certainly did !eek! One of my first purchases for my original 40k Chaos Army.

3. Moon-faced Chaos Sorcerer on Disc

Mad grin. Magic powers. Magic Disc. Tzeentch personified. Pure unadulterated Warhammer!

4. Wardancer Champion

A classic Jes Goodwin sculpt that brings the distilled spirit of the fae and keltic onto your tabletop. Awesome.

5. The Green Knight

One of the few models that caught my eye when I was out of the game post 4th edition. A model which sums up the best of GW; taking a concept with deep cultural roots, twisting it into the meta-logic of the Warhammer World ...and creating out of this a unique and beautiful sculpt that is even more appealing than its cultural antecedent.

6. Grand Theogonist & War Altar of Sigmar

Taking your altar out of the church, topping it with a Griffon, and rolling it out on wheels onto the battlefield. Badass. Middle-aged but resolute Volkmar himself personifies human resistance in a world of Chaos and encroaching evil. Brilliant.

7. Ninja Ogre

An Ogre and a Ninja combined. What could be better? Real Ind, Nippon, Goguyreo and Cathay armies (rather than AoS) that's what !mad! *grumble grumble*

8. Tyrion

Beauty, grace, nobility, chivalry, deadliness, agility, speed, power, heroism. Tyrion encapsulates the best of Warhammer Elves in miniature form for me.
As a Dark Elf collector I was always jealous of the High Elf and Wood Elf ranges, which had the genius of Jes Goodwin behind them. It was only with the new generation of minis beginning the plastic Corsairs and Cold One Knights that we surpassed them as a range. We still don't have a character model as good as Tyrion.
Incidental: I prefer New Tyrion to Old Tyrion, and Old Teclis to New Teclis.

9. Chaos Dwarf Juggernaut

I remember spending hours upon hours looking at the Citadel catalogue and thinking about the possibilities of this multi-levelled build-it-as-you-wish model. Sadly the pocket money could never stretch to afford it.

10. Empire Running Away Guy!

Love this wee guy, and appreciate Forgeworld's use of him.
Encapsulates the precarious plight of humans in the Warhammer World: in perpetual danger and terror of death!
One thing that I appreciate about FB is the fact that it is less grimdark than 40k. That the Empire invented guns, swords and steel to survive and prosper in a world of monsters, daemons, undead and magic is a lot more heroic than historic Renaissance armies, whose business was as much about murder and empire-building as it was about defence of the populous.

Honourable mentions: Tons of models from every range. There is just so much personality and quality in the back catalogue of FB.

Disclaimer: Obviously these opinions are subjective, and I'm not trying to start arguments.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Makiwara
Shade

Re: Describe Warhammer Fantasy Battle in 10 Models

Post by Makiwara »

1. The original metal Tyrion.
2. Aenur, Sword of Twighlight.
3. Arsanil from Dogs of War.
4. Squig Riders
5. Chaos Warriors, from the old one pose plastic to today.
6. The old metal daemonettes.
7. Ratskin Renegades
8. Waywatchers
9. The Landraider, because I remember how excited people were for the release.
10. The old metal Carnifex.

Some of mine aren't Fantasy, but were influential in my love of the game nonetheless.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I've got one of those Keeper of Secrets for my Slaanesh Army (still to be painted) it's a brilliant model!

Love this idea - now need to think about it
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

1. Heroquest - this is where it all began for me as a wee youngster. I got hooked at an early age spending all the school holidays playing with my brother.

2.High Elf Spearmen - the first box of warhammer minis I bought.

3. Teclis - who doesn't love this model, a timeless classic
[img]http://collector-info.com/Manufacturer/GAW/GAWWFB/GAWWFBHE/IMGMini/GAWWFB%209947021000901%20(075652)%20-%20High%20Elf%20Mage%20Teclis%20(4ED)%20[CO]%2002.jpg[/img]

4.Malekith - on foot non the less, rare unreleased and I own won. Pure fluke the day I won it on ebay and my most treasured possession - it's precious.

5.Dark Elves - this picture got me into Dark Elves - I had this is a box, can't remember what came in it.

6. Sorceress - love this babe, nice mini for its time

7.Morathi - beautifull pose

8. Focus Farmiliars - som much character in such small mini's

9.Carmine Dragon - now this is what I call a dragon!!!! I want one.

10.Need I say more
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Warhammer?N=102253+4294966432&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=phl&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

1 - My first GW purchase

Balrog.jpg

2 - My first elven purchase

Scarloc.jpg
Scarloc.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

3 - My pride and joy for years

chariot.jpg
chariot.jpg (4.82 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

4 - Dragon Princes - Made me switch from Wood elves to High elves

dragon prince.jpg
dragon prince.jpg (3.61 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

5 - Reason I switched briefly to The Empire

WWGM.jpg
WWGM.jpg (4.92 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

6 - All slayer SoC army based around this guy

daemonslayer.jpg
daemonslayer.jpg (8.13 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

7 - Reason the dark side took me

COK.jpg
COK.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

8 - What almost tempted me away

GK.jpg
GK.jpg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

9 - Next project Slaaneshi dark elves because of these beauties

daemon.jpg
daemon.jpg (11.97 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

10 - The last model I purchased

warpfire.jpg
warpfire.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I'm jealous of your last purchase Amboadine bet she's a beauty!
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I tend more towards the more whimsical side of their minis line:

In no particular order, these are the minis I think of when I think of iconic Warhammer Fantasy stuff:

The Forest Goblin giving the finger
The Snotling taking a dump in a helmet
The Skaven Doomwheel
A Squighopper
Jules le Jongleur
Long Drong Slayer
Morathi on Dark Pegasus
Bloodthirster
Slaan Mage Priest
Daemonettes
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Cool idea....

Here's mine as I think of them...

1) Jes Goodwin's Ogres (there's a dozen or so, but as Gimli said.."that still counts as one!"). These guys from the "red book" are what got me into GW figures back in the 80's. I bought a blister with one and called up Lenton and asked if they could mail me a bunch of them :D
2) The dark elf Corsair Champion with the wind blown hair and the severed head. When I saw this figure painted by Neil Green in a preview for the "new " Dark Elf book, I decided then and there that I needed to make a dark elf army.
3). The Chris FitzPatrick Morathi (mentioned already above). It's completely cool. I had a chance to be at UK Games Day in 2000 and was stepping slowly through a display of studio models and I mentioned to the guy next to me "This is my favorite GW figure....it's completely perfect". The guy says "Thank you very much" turns out it was the man himself. :shock:
4). The metal "raptor style" cold ones. The new ones are cool, but I'll always dig the older ones.
5) Green Knight- I never did anything with Brettonia, but I bought this figure cuz it is awesome.
6). The old metal chaos Knights - horse and rider probably weigh about a kilo and are a bit crude by today's standards, but they are so characterful.
7) Brian Nelson's Boar Boyz- when I was painting them, I had to have them turned away from me because I was constantly distracted by marveling at how brilliantly he had crafted their faces.
8 ) The circa 1999 Minotaur Lord- I never did too much with Beastmen, but I thought for years about making an all Minotaur army, mostly because I dug this figure so much (and I also like minotaurs ;) )
9) The greater daemon of Khorne with the dog head and "Kaiser Wilhelm" helmet. Never played Daemons, but bought this figure, converted it and used it into a fight scene as a GD entry.
10). And of course...

That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Flam1ng0
Slave on the Altar

Post by Flam1ng0 »

@T.D., what an awesome idea for a thread! Whether for technical or personal reasons, every warhammer player has a favourite selection of models that they consider the definition of 'Warhammer'. So without further ado, and in no particular order (I can't decide what I like more!!):

-Warhammer Quest Wardancer, because it was the awesome model that got me started on Warhammer in the first place!

-Maughan Ra, technically 40k I know, but because when I was a kid I was often unwell and after one particularly unpleasant trip to the hospital, I came home at the beginning of the school break to find this dude and an Eldar battleforce and a paint set on my bed. My friends had bought me the paint set, but my mum had bought the rest (she had gotten my mates to take her to the FLGS to make sure she got the right models). I was so happy, I spent the rest of the break assembling and painting these guys, and playing games with the gang, with the Phoenix Lord of Skulls, More Dakka and Heavy Metal guiding me to many great memories. I also started getting better afterwards too, so Maughan Ra is definitely a personal choice, on top of a timeless sculpt from the gifted hands of Jes Goodwin that embodies everything awesome about GW (or used to be).

-The Green Knight, as it is probably one of the greatest models ever sculpted by GW, IMO. Flawless and it appeals to a mass outside the GW demographic, but it is inherently and unmistakably a 'Warhammer' model and not just a mere knight. Michael Perry's finest model and Mike McVey's best paintjob, all in the same model.

-Drycha, because she was released with a wave of models for the 6th Ed WE book. WE were my first army, and thus hold a special place in my heart. I had just started collecting the (then) new Ogre Kingdoms army, and Drycha, along with the new models, swayed me back to WE. So lithe and graceful, yet ferocious and menacing at the same time, exactly how a Dryad should look like.

-High Elf Dragon, because I remember seeing it and just thinking to myself "WOW". Awesome and revolutionary model, represented an advancement in plastic moulds along with the Giant and possessed so many cool details on the sprue. Truly epitomises both a 'Warhammer hero' and a 'Warhammer monster', IMO.

-Black Ark Corsairs, because they just look awesome. Personally, they are my favourite core unit in all of Warhammer, and the models are so characterful (despite some people claiming WFB units as having little amounts of dynamism). Just a great example of an original and flavourful WFB unit.

-Lokhir Fellheart, because you can't have Corsairs in the list without mentioning the Krakenlord himself. Fits in with the unit, but stands out enough to signify that this dude ain't no redshirt, he's the boss. "Now ready your anal circumference chart, foe, or taste my cold steel!" !lol!

-Necrosphinx, because it is on par with the High Elf Dragon as the coolest monster GW has ever released. Not only did it fit in with the TK background and army, but it stood out on every battlefield it was fielded on. A true testament to the capabilities of GW's enhancements in plastic sculpts, and pure Warhammer awesomeness. Also tough as nails and capable of making enemies cry if it actually manages to decapitate their favourite hero! ;)

-Golgfag Maneater, because the guy oozes character and is an old favourite for many WFB veterans. The model did such an awesome and creative character justice.

-Cauldron of Blood, because it's so dynamic and combines so many visual elements, from the imposing Avatar of Khaine to the Cauldron's attendants, and even the Cauldron itself. It is sophisticated and elegant in design, but emits a primal and barbaric aura. A true centrepiece for a DE army.

Was hard to choose 10 as there are so many worthy candidates IMO, but those would be the 10 I'd go with!
Lokhir
-..v_v..Lokhir Fellheart
-..(--)..Conqueror
..U( )U.of Ind
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Awesome thread in present circumstances - here's mine. Apologies for the mad variation in image size!

1) The original mounted Jade Wizard. GW have made some mis-steps in rules tweaks along the way (...), but the move from the big orange rulebook magic to the card based Battle Magic was one I thoroughly supported. The new wizard models that came with its launch were mixed, but one stood out - in sculpt and paint job - and became the first non-dwarf I ever purchased. I'm kind of gutted I can't find the original painted - pure artistry - version on Google images, but this is the one I mean;

2) Pointing Dwarf general. Another epic paint job by GW, the low res shot below not doing it justice. My first army general. Devastatingly overpowered in later editions with the right runes, but ridiculous with a frostblade in earlier ones - yet so small, so dense, so compact - like a singularity. Love him.

3) The original Thorgrim on throne. More beautiful paintwork; superbly judged colour scheme and so vivid. Also a herald of a new generation of more imaginative models of larger, more ambitious scope - something Dwarves had kind of lacked.

4) Tom Meier's Black Dragon. It was the lack of variety in models (size, gender, mount, etc.) that meant I added another army to my Dwarves - ultimately seeing me shift near entirely to Dark Elves. This was the model that started that. I picked up a copy in a big clearance sack at GW Maidstone, with the old Elric model too - about 50 models in fact all for £10! The two of them became my general of my first phase Druchii force.

5) Mike McVey's Converted Wood Elf General on Giant Eagle. Blew my mind. Completely. Redefined what I thought was possible in terms of conversion and paint work. Superbly chosen components, experted combined and a world class paint job. The mini image here doesn't do it justice.

6) Female Dark Elf Beastmaster. Picked up a cheap copy recently, shown below with the various conversion options which I'd still considering. Ace boots and thighs, super clothes to paint, massively convertible. Only shot I could find - it's missing a crazy claw-like mace. Know others like her too!

7) Teclis. I hate Teclis. Utterly hate him. The White Dwarf when he first appeared had his horrific, misshapen, argumentative, arrogant, sneering face on the front of it. I feared what he might signal in terms of a direction - special characters and power creep. I won't show the image here, as everyone knows what he looks like. Some people might see him and think I was endorsing him. I am not. I hate him. He really sparked my hate for High Elves. I always envied Tyrion, but there was something about Teclis and it came across in his ludicrously over bedecked model and harsh, petulant features. I wish this list could be free of him, but if it's to describe WFB for me he needs to be here. He's part of the story.

8 ) The new Witch Elves. Poster girls for all that is right about GW's latest releases. Everyone knows what they look like though. I'd have been tempted to put the Island of Blood Griffon Rider in this slot too. Nicely designed, nicely detailed example of the quality of the models produced now.

9) The Man O War Dwarf Ships. No image here as it would be incongruous in the little run of entries without one. I really liked Man O War for the short while it existed, though later eclipsed by the
awesome, transportable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_Constructible_Strategy_Game. There was an exciting frisson to it all, and some superb creativity from GW bringing to life the fleets from each army with such variety and flair. It was like some special episode of a favourite show where the characters go racing in custom built cars which all embody their personalities. Even the High Elf ships looked ace. What got me though were the Dwarf ships. I'd been kicking off for a while that whilst Dwarfs had a Gyrocopter, the (hated) Steam Tank was allegedly an Empire warmachine. So when it turned out that as well as helicopters the Dwarf navy featured iron battle ships and submarines that kind of stung. The tank existed as a missing link in the Dwarf military, bizarrely overlooked, despite (one might argue) evidence that it would be a pretty trivial piece of engineering for them. To understand WFB, one must understand these insane skips and leaps of logic.

10) The 20x20 infantry base with diagonal slot. Can I nominate that as a model? It's stood in for pretty much anything you can imagine in my games. Marked up with heavy crayon colour codes they've been most things you can imagine facing opponents during a summer vs. "Slaves to Darkness" warbands. And all the models I couldn't afford way back when. And it's an endangered species nowadays, and needs a little support.

(Editted so the 8 didn't look like sunglasses... and Elric didn't read Eric)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

10) The 20x20 infantry base with diagonal slot. Can I nominate that as a model? It's stood in for pretty much anything you can imagine in my games. Marked up with heavy crayon colour codes they've been most things you can imagine facing opponents during a summer vs. "Slaves to Darkness" warbands. And all the models I couldn't afford way back when. And it's an endangered species nowadays, and needs a little support.

+1 Priceless - I think most players can relate to that!
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Flatworldsedge noted #6 the girl beastmaster with the claw. As an homage to Spinal Täp, I'm going to eleven with my list....that brilliant figure is everywhere in my Dark Elf army...dark riders, shades, spear champion, assassin, one of my generals...even a beastmaster!
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?