AoS New Terrain - Looks Exciting!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

AoS New Terrain - Looks Exciting!

Post by cultofkhaine »

Just found this on the GW site - I must say I am excited, I always wished GW did this with some Dark Elf terrain.

I love what seems to be the endless options you can make with the different kits.

Pity about the price tag :(

What do you think?

more can be found here... http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Warhammer?Nao=0&Nu=product.repositoryId&N=102253+4294967192&qty=12&sorting=phl&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: AoS New Terrain - Looks Exciting!

Post by Haagrum »

The Overlord Bastion looks decent, for a stand-alone piece that isn't over AUD $250. The Skull Keeps don't sell me by themselves. The larger ones look pretty spectacular. Part of me regrets that I only have one kidney to sell to pay for hobby, and I'm saving that for the Aelves releases).

Shame about the price tags and continued love of over-skulling stuff. The modular aspects of the AoS terrain are pretty nifty. Some of the scenarios sound pretty interesting, too.

(even if the double realmgate one sounds a bit like playing tabletop node-capture PvP).
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Skullz :)

Impressive if you can afford the full set to build the 8 point chaos star layout.
Be interesting to see if they do anything non Khornate.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

If they are going all out with this type of terrain for Khorne - I have high hopes for the other races/factions they release.

I always thought GW did not do enough with terrain for the different armies, a missed opportunity.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Cultofkhaine wrote:If they are going all out with this type of terrain for Khorne - I have high hopes for the other races/factions they release.

I always thought GW did not do enough with terrain for the different armies, a missed opportunity.

Actually, I would more expect them to do a Sigmarite alternative and then stop selling other faction's models. :( I hope it doesn't happen (my current work on researching alternative ranges in case the official ones become unavailable suddenly makes me only appreciate GW models more, it would be atremendous pity to lose them), but at this point I'm not expecting anything nice from GW. :( It would be really nice if you're right, though

Anyway, that terrain looks awesome, at least if you like the skulls. I especially love the gates (the smaller one is especially sweet, almost floating in the air) and the Numinous Occulum, but other pieces are great too.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Price aside, the pieces look overly busy - way too many accessories crammed onto each piece, which end up clashing with each other for attention and reduce the impact of the buildings significantly. And, of course, we see once more GW's obsessions with skulls, skullz, and more skullzzz. They're disappointing, even without taking into consideration the price tag. I do like the look of the stair case on the overlord bastion somewhat.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
taggart
Warrior

Post by taggart »

The price tag is just stupid for plastic scenery if you ask me , would have thought by now that the skulls would be long gone . Who is this marketed at then ? Not your average player of the game at that price :(
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

I like that they are doing more terrain and often.
Last 3 multiple choice surveys I have seen had a section about terrain, it made me wonder if they were going to go ahead with this or not. So I am hopeful for near future about some interesting Dark Elf terrain.

I like this modular fortress idea. I actually thought about buying a few pieces but the price is a bit much really.
I might end up buying a realmgate and a bastion though, just haven't made a decision yet.. :roll:
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

As far as the 'OMG SKULLZ' complaints, has anyone noticed the lack of Skullz on the Sigmarite Terrain? This is Khornite Terrain, for the man who sits on the SKULL Throne, what did you expect, kittens?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

IMO this is the most stunning piece of terrain I've seen yet. Just breath taking. And ingenious too, with the modular pieces permitting so many configurations and builds. Wow.. Just wow. And obviously, it's laden with skulls but it's exactly what I'd expect from a fortress of nightmares made by/for Khorne.
I'm really impressed.

Will I ever buy a piece? Unlikely, due to the price. I doubt I'll ever want to spend the coin on any of the large sets.
Even with the smaller sets, I find the price too much for my budget. I'd rather invest that budget in minis, I think. But perhaps I'll buy a single tower. Some day. When I don't feel like buying minis for a while anymore.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze