First Time Painter. How are my Cold Ones? Update

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Phox532
Executioner

First Time Painter. How are my Cold Ones? Update

Post by Phox532 »

So its my first time painting. How did I do?
Attachments
Cold Ones.jpg
Last edited by Phox532 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phox Jorkarzul
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: First Time Painter. How are my Cold Ones?

Post by Amboadine »

First thing you could consider is an ink wash.
This would immediately give some definition to the scales and add a little shine to the model.
It is amazing just how much this simple step lifts the model.

Oh and then paint and model the base of course :)

Thanks for taking the time to share your first models however, you will find your skills improve with time and patience. It is a rare individual who knocks out a masterpiece on the first attempt.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It's a good first go - they look distinct and vivid.

I would second what Amboadine says. Also, consider giving them a dry brush highlight.

I would also recommend maybe not going for such extreme colour contrasts. The red is very powerful and looks somewhat jarring next to the completely different blue/grey color of the cold ones. Many of the best models have subtler changes of shade. You can do well with very vivid colour contrasts, but it's a more challenging task to do so.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Yea, I know what you mean what the colors. I think the next cold ones I do, I'm going to have a darker more natural color. I was thinking white walkers when I did these and was playing with the idea. But I'm not sold on it.

I have read about these ink wash. But I'm not sure where I can get it. I live in China. A mate was telling me that you can make ink washes, but I'm unsure how to go about it.
Phox Jorkarzul
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hmmmm... I would recommend using a brown shade, like GW's agrax earthshade. It will make the entire model more brown, and bring the tones of the different colors closer together. I don't know what alternatives are available in China, unfortunately.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

Make a wash: Dilute your paint with water, then use. You'll figure out the right dilution given the time. (Use more water at the beginning, then less until you get it right, it should sink, but also stick)
Drybrush is just the other way around, get paint on brush, rub dry on a kitchen roll. But you definitely need the right brush for this.
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

I'm working on a ink wash now. I have a mate that is showing me how to do it. So I hope that this weekend, I'm able to post an update. Right now, I like the way my riders came out, I was going for an Edo Samurai look. So I wan wanting the blacks and red. I think that I'm going to have to pick up some new brushes, a 000, 00, and 0 as well as another 2 and 1. Finally on the cold ones, the next one I get (I hope next month), I am going with a more traditional scheme of greens, blacks, and browns. While I liked my original idea, I'm not just that talented of a painter to pull it off.
Attachments
Standard Bearer.jpg
S. Coldone Knight.jpg
F. Coldone Knights.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul