Converting Help?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Phox532
Executioner

Converting Help?

Post by Phox532 »

So a mate has Gifted some bleak swords, but he did some major converting on them So have Crossbows on the back, others have spears. others shield? He was going to use them for a different game, but decided that since I had a DE army, I could have them. My question is is it worth trying to convert them all back to a "normal" unit, or just leave them as is. He as already put primer on them so all they need to be is painted. Another question is are the use able in a game I have have them and say they are Bleakswords, even though they don't all have sword?
Phox Jorkarzul
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Converting Help?

Post by Amboadine »

I think the answer is really dependant on your opponents.
In a tournament situation you should generally play WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), however in a friendly game I doubt anyone would mind.

The question I would ask you though is why play bleak swords at all? You would be better off playing crossbows with shields to get best value points wise. They have identical stats so can do the same job of swords with the added bonus of shooting.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The question I would ask you though is why play bleak swords at all? You would be better off playing crossbows with shields to get best value points wise. They have identical stats so can do the same job of swords with the added bonus of shooting.
I disagree. Dark Elf armies work best when their units perform a clearly defined task, rather than having units that aim to multi-task. Bleakswords are awesome as anvil units, and a unit of 40 run in ranks of five is a very durable anvil. Crossbows, on the other hand, must either spread out to maximise firepower (which limits their effectiveness as an anvil) or huddle in as a long column (which reduces their firepower). But it's a personal choice really - some people do prefer multi-tasking units (just not me).

Technically, Bleakswords have hand weapons, so you get a bit more liberty with them than other units. A spear is a spear is a spear: but what is a hand weapon? If you do want to run the unit as bleakswords, probably the easiest way to do it is to place the ones that do have swords in the front ranks and then place the ones with other weapons in the ranks behind them. That way, the opponent still sees swords in the front rank, while the bodies of the fellows behind look okay too.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Thanks for the advice, I was going to try and converting them last night to be more a single mind unit, but as I said a mate had all ready put them together. One of the big things that he did was put the shields on the backs of some of the. After looking at them i found that I didn't have enough replace meant pieces to make a good looking single unit. The models themselves look good. He did a good job on his conversion. But even after they are painted to my army colors, I'm worried that they just wont fit in and look off compared to the rest of the units I have.
Phox Jorkarzul
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Why are shields on their backs problematic? Bleakswords have hand weapons and shields - it doesn't say in the army book where on the body they have to have their shields, so having them on their back is as much a case of WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) as having them up front. Perhaps if you can take a photo or two so we can see what you are working with, that would make things much easier for us when commenting.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

I'm currently painting them up, I should have them done before the weekend. I'll post them up then.
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Here is what I mean. It is a good conversion, they look nice, but I'm not sure really how to play them. They all have Shields, Swords and Crossbows or they have Shields, spears and crossbows. So not sure what unit to count them at.
Attachments
Darkshard.jpg
Darkshard spearman.jpg
DarkShard Bannerman.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Sword, shield and crossbow is the normal loadout for a Darkshard. So technically any ones with spears couldn't be Darkshards. And technically Dreadspears and Dreadswords would need to lose the crossbow.

However.

WSYIWYG rules in WFB is a bit more lax than 40K. The rule is that half the unit must have the proper gear. So as long as no more than half the unit has spears, they can all be used as Darkshards. A unit with over 50% spears could be Dreadspears, and a unit with over 50% swords could be Dreadspears.

In a friendly game, just tell your opponent to ignore the crossbows. In a tournament it becomes very important to not be vague.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Thanks Vulcan.

Yea only two of these guy has a spear, so it looks like I have a unit of Darkshards, and I get to piece my own Dreadspears together.
Phox Jorkarzul