[PLOG] Autumn Host by Sabious

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: [PLOG] Autumn Host by Sabious

Post by Lord Drakon »

Wow such an amazing paint job! Actually I think those monotomes can be very striking, especially when combined in a unit. However they do indeed need some bright colours and lots of details to make them more interesting. In this you absolutely created a masterpiece with the half theme one, I love it! Amazing looking unit, would love to see a battleshot of them.

Also compliments of the productivity!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They look amazing and I would not change a thing!
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Hehe my own appreciation of the results was not misplaced! Thank you guys!
@Lord Drakon, by battleshot do you mean at a game or armyshot? I'll get some for ya.

Now the goblins do not like not being featured, even just for a little while, so here they come.
These Manglers were almost tableready and I just finished them up.

But not only those! While making the Thicket Shepherd BSB for the woodies this Goblin King insisted on paint too. I had to oblige.
This spider mount needed a 50x50 base and I wondered what I could do. I tried different ruin terrain but the base was just too small to fit the spider and the scenery. Then I stumbled on this dwarf statue I had laying around for terrain.

What do you think of this asymmetrical model? It luckily does not tip over easily in any direction :)

Image Image

Image Image
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

You are a Painting machine!
Yes I ment picture in actual battle against enemies :D
I will try up my speed also. Great work again!

Are returning to Dark Elves after woodies and gobbos?
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

I should get back to them yes, shouldn't I. I recently received some of the new Raging Heroes models. I could experiment on those! Bring darkness back.

And I'll definately get some shots for ya. Playing quite a few matches soon :)
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Some battleshots as requested! Played against Tomb Kings/Undying Dynasties.

And I built these five shades from bits. Years ago I saw a picture of someone's female shades and decided to steal the idea (if it is one of you guys, let me know! ;) ). Just never came around to assembling them before now. I wanted both the hand weapon, great weapon and crossbow on them, so they became sort of samurai-looking with the hakama pants and slender sheathed sword.

I did some mock up paint on one, to test my work with my dark elf palette of colours, but I became unsatisfied with where I was going. Just testing base colours on this one, but you know my themes already :)

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Sublime as always.

Love the Shade conversion.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Meanwhile, more minis are finished that I began and left to dust for months; Dragon Princes/Knights of Ryma.

It is hard to tell the sandy armour parts are washed and given another colour, but they are! I wanted to try painting more with the plain or bland colour scheme, allowing the gems to really pop. What do you say? Besides hang these traitors :)

Image Image

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Sabious wrote:Besides hang these traitors :)

Er...draw and quarter these traitors?! :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Finished this model in October I think. Lost the pictures I had taken before uploading. So.. here he is!

More in the signature.

Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Very nicely painted models - clean and coherent. I have to agree about the Shades, very interesting and unique, I really like them. And those bases of yours look even more cool than before.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

I am happy with the shades myself too, just need to get back into painting Dark Elves again. Some day.

For now! The zeppelin from the monthly challenge and a Scrap/Pump Wagon I almost finished in november, but delayed till now.

Always more pictures in the signature of course :)

Image Image
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Very cool haha!
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Another model finished this month! (left to gather dust half painted for a month..)

My dwarven Anvil! I ditched my steampunky former anvil for this homemade one. I prefer this one by far.

I could not restrain myself with the picture taking, so feel free to check out all the pictures in the signature :)

Image Image
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

What a great idea - I really like this conversion! You have done an awesome job :D
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I really like the red cape! Why not also red at the inside instead of silver? As looking to lots of pictures and seeing how badly done my own red cloth is, I am going to improvr also hopefully. Which colours and technigues did you used on the cape?
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Ah, so happy you like it, guys! It's one of those pieces where you can play with creativity a lot.

Glad you like the cape! I am still a bit unsure if I chose correctly (besides red being a colour of importance with my dwarves, showing characters or elites), because it is highly contrasting all the other cold colours. But maybe that is okay since he is top dog. As for why it is silver on the inside, I think it links back to me being afraid of the red + I was just touching the Rune Smith up. He was basecoated already and had that split colour in place. I guess I wanted to try a split years ago.

The How:

Simple! Base, wash, three dry highlights.

Based it red, used a black wash.
Then I applied some of the base colour again but all dry.
Then a slightly more blue and lighter red (sort of pinky).
Ending with a lighter still red, cancelling the blue in the former paint. This is the striking red, used scarcely.

I tried to not make those wet edge highlights, but kept the precision work of it. So basically drybrushing the next colours on, but conciously hitting the edges and keeping the brush superdry. I might have gone in with a slightly wet diluted touch if it looked too "drybrushed".
I used the GW colours of Khorne Red, Nuln Oil, Khorne Red, Wazdakka Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet, in that order.

I find red to be a forgiving colour. Easy to back a step if you find it turned out messy, without having to start over.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Terrain update!

Finished an elven house/ruin and made some more Icy terrain pieces (forest tokens, ruin tokens, statue and platforms). The elven house is from momminiatures.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice looking terrain.

Have you tried using water effects before - it would look good on those terrain pieces - well worth the investment.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Yes, and have done so on other pieces. These blue ones are supposed to be all iced over, and so far prefer the duller look for ice and keep the shine for fluid bodies of water.
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

I'm really amazed how quickly your projects grow and how do you manage to finish them with such quality. Pleasure to look.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Very nice Elves house! How did you build it?
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Your words always help push me for more. Thank you guys.

The house was not home built, if that's what you mean Lord Drakon. It's from Momminiatures. I just painted it :D
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Foot Knights!

February 2018 pledge. Now with more pics!

Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Some of you know me by now to never stick to just one project at a time. By this I mean that the 20 foot knights did not get my full attention solely. A week ago I needed a break from painting R&F and this came out of it.

A battering ram! :D

In the 9th Age this serves as a Sacred Reliquary. I don't know the name for 8th edition. Anyway, I made this over two nights – building and painting it. At first I was sure it could only be a unit filler, on a larger base. Eventually I toyed around and built it. I never believed I could fit men in there, let alone four! Yet, it came to pass.

I am quite pleased with what I was able to build from scratch, with just google images as reference. A lot of WIP if you go to my blog (signature), including the peasants inside :)

Image Image