[PLOG] Jorkar Warhost

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [PLOG] Jorkar Warhost

Post by cultofkhaine »

I like the blue one (but I would paint the straps a different colour, black or brown perhaps)
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Yea. I choose Scarlet cause I wanted my army's main color in the model some where. I painted up a couple riders last night, I had three hours so I manage to some painting done. I really like the way that both have turned out. In my army I am going to have 10 Cold Ones total, so I'm thinking what if I paint 5 red and 5 blue, I'm not 100% sold on this, but i really like both and I don't want to have to choose. Has anyone else done these where your steads are not all the same color?
Attachments
Knights on Cold Ones. Test.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

Post by Mordrin Spiteblade »

I use would use heavy cavalry as small supporting flankers rather than a big block, with 6 S6 and 10 S4 attacks on the charge COKs are brilliant at this, also if they get stuck in combat 15 S4 attacks can't easily be shrugged off. 2 units of 5 cold ones would look great in two different colour schemes.

Its great to see your painting getting better with practice, keep it up mate!
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Yea, I think that I'm going to do use both colors. Like I said I really like both and I think that with model scheme on the Knights they have turned out quiet well. Now I just have to get the rest painted.
Phox Jorkarzul
Crowsfoot
Trainee Warrior

Post by Crowsfoot »

Regarding the cold ones could you paint 5 blue with red belly and 5 red with blue belly, (try saying that fast 3 times)

That would tie both units together but make them both different.

Your painting has improved loads from your first post, well done.
Checkout my Lizardmen and others Here
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So all the cold Ones are done. Now its times for the Knights. My final three Cold Ones where a little bright when they were finished, you can see that in the photo.So I added another layer ink to darken them up. I think that last night when I did this my ink was too watered down. So I have added more ink and not they are in the line as the other cold ones.

In other news, my dark Riders arrived today, so YAYAYAYA. I have some ideas for them. I am thinking black steads and red cloaks, but I need to look at the models to see if that will work. I really want to get this Knights done before this weekend so I can start on my Dark Shards before I go to a National conference here, in Hainan. I am running into crunch time though as my league leader is saying that only fully painted models can be played. and I only have 1 1/2 units painted, and league play starts one November 2nd.

NEED MORE PAINT TIME!!!!
Attachments
Cold Ones wo Riders.jpg
Cold Ones wo Riders Front.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Haven't finished the Knights yet, didn't have time to do much on the except base a coat, so to the opportunity to base coat my darkshards as well. I also built my Dark Rider Musician. Not overly productive, but there is a 3 am football game tomorrow night and I have some time on Monday, I hope to get my knights and some of my Darkshards painted.
Attachments
Darkshards Based.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Okay, so they were finished last weekend but I didn't have time to upload them so here they are the final new Cold One Knights. I really like how this turned out. I think the mix of the blue and red Cold Ones give bring more to the army as a whole. I am super excited for my set to come it cause I can't wait to paint them and get all ten in formation and terrorizing the battlefield.
Attachments
Full Force Painted Front.jpg
Full Force Painted Sides..jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Also last Monday, I finished two test models for the DarkShards. The goal here was simple, not to make the newly painted Darkshards not look complete #0r$3 $#!T. While they are still not CultofKhaine pro, they are a hell of a lot better than the first ones I did. I was also wanting to get the full command done, but simply ran out time. So with the new ones I want them to be different than my Executioners, but have the same feel. I used dark gray for the armor which is now becoming the standard in the army, but I switched up the mail and the cloth. With the DarkShards went with white/gray mail and red cloth. I also went with White shields and Red skulls to take a step back from my Cold Ones Red shields with white Details. I also wanted wanted to try and do the crossbows better this time around. Their far from perfect for sure but still like the rest of the model a hell of a lot better than the first round.

I can say that I am really excited about these two test models. Now it's all bout finding time to finish the rest of them. Let me know what you think. And here is hoping I can get the rest done this week, before my new models come in.

On a side note, if any of you are golfers, then I would recommend Mission Hills, in HaiKuo, Hainan, China. It is AMAZING. Like I was there for business and spent a good time in a meeting room, but on the time I had free I did go out and play a couple rounds on some of the walking courses. It is a bit pricey, about 700-950 Rmb a night and 580-900Rmb for a round, but it is wroth it. One of the best trips that I have every taken and I want recommend it to everyone out there.
Attachments
DarkShards Test Front.jpg
DarkShards Test Backs.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

It's really great to see how you have improved in such a short time from the initial models. The addition of white certainly helps a lot and the consistency of the dark grey is also going to help bring it all together nicely.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

They are looking massively improved from when you started off. Good stuff :)

Over time, your brush control will increase further - the important thing is to keep practicing and practicing.

I think you could look at drybrushing a bit more on the chain mail. I would suggest painting it a darker grey, then dry brushing with a lighter (ideally metallic) grey, to bring out the chain effect a bit more.

I very much like the color scheme :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So I have manage to get a Dark Rider Test model done. So I focused more on the red here with these model. I wanted these guys to kinda pop out on the battle field. There is less white in this models as I choose to use the dark gray here on the shield. Finally there was some modding here as I did some cutting as put the Dual Sword from the Doomfire Warlocks on the champion. I like the way he turned out and I'm looking forward to painted the rest. Though these models were a ***** to put together, so I might have to wait a year before buy my 15 warlocks for my magical army.
Attachments
DR Side B.jpg
DR Side A.jpg
DR front.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Same points really - the color scheme looks good and works well, the painting has improved hugely which is great, but it needs more dry brushing to reach the next level.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So I have got the new Dark Shards done. They turned out better than the last one for sure, so a small win there. Only thing is I went a bit crazy with my ink and didn't thin it out enough. Now they don't quite pop like I wanted and the white shields don't look as sharp as I' like them to. But I'm still more happy with them, than I was with the last batch. Now I'm full steam on my Dark Riders. First game is in a week and yet so much to paint.
Attachments
Full Flank.jpg
DS Display.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I am very envious of the sheer amount of models you are managing to get through.
Wish I had the time.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Amboadine wrote:I am very envious of the sheer amount of models you are managing to get through.
Wish I had the time.

It's a lot 1am-3am painting sessions. My wife is not super thrilled about it, but those are the breaks. Since I teach English here in China I basically have a part time job, and with a young daughter it means that I can work in a nap around 1-3pm so catching up on sleep there. But yea, I do most of painting late at night around 11:00pm to 2:30. I think these were the first models I have painted when there was light in sky.
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So I have finished the Dark riders. And they are looking cool. I like the red cloaks, but I am thinking about how to add my armies mark to them. I am not sold and anything yet, but they do feel naked with out the Jorkar Clan tag on them. Tell me what you think.
Attachments
Full Squa Front.jpg
Full Squad Side.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

SO I have nothing to paint until my new models get here. HURRY UP CHINA POSTAL SERVICE YOU SLOW POOPS. So I took a new group shot of my army so far. It's night and day difference, from when I started, and they are looking pretty good together.
Attachments
Big Group Shot NEW.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So my Warhost of Naggaroth came in yesterday I have been building models, read model. I did some crazy converting to try and create a proxy dreadlord on a cold one. I believe that he had more than 4 different models pieces to create. I'm going to say that it was a lot more intense that I thought it was going to be an it took just of 2.5 hours to finally get him the way I like him. Also this is just the Dreadlord. Tonight I'm going to take a look at the Cold One and see if I can't do some modding and converting on it as well. The good news is that by the weekend I'll have so more models done, and hopefully I'll get some painting done as well. So :).

EDIT. To a pic to show my Dreadlord. So far.
Attachments
Dread Lord Built.jpg
Last edited by Phox532 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

nice to see your army progressing along!
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So my Dreadlord on Coldone is done. This was some coll conversion work, using pieces of Coldone Knights, Beastmaster, Bleakswords, and Darkshards. I have never done anything this intensive before. It nearly cost me, my fingers, which was also fun in its own way. On to the painting I wanted the cape to be inline with my Coldones color scheme. So I was looking at either a Blue or a Crimson. I went with the crimson for this model because I thought it would a cool contrast to a blue Coldone and would bring both groups in line with each other. I also wanted to use a blue "coldone" skin for my sorcerer.

Now I'm a fluff guy, and so here is my General, Phox Jorkarzul Fifth of his Name commander of the Jorkar Warhost.
Attachments
Dread Lord Back.jpg
Dread Lord Side.jpg
Dread Lord Front.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

My WarSage (sorcerer) is done. I converted my Fleet Master to a mage, which was fun and kinda cool. I'm starting to get the hang of converting and I might try some more. As I don't really have a need for corsairs I have been thinking that I might convert some to Shades and I am also thinking that I may try to make and assassin out of a corsair as well. But here I am with much needed mage as my army didn't really have any magic or anti-magic ability. He is going to use the same rules as a Sorceress on foot. But like all my hero I have some fluff to go along with him.

Name: Garven Tarmlym
Garven Tarmlym is a long term servant of House Jokar. Educated inside the 2nd Ring of Rakrn Ruzt as a WarSage, a counselor to noble families. It was here that is made the sacrifice of his leg to the Queen Goddess so that he may drink her blood, giving him the ability to control magic and allowing him sense the future. Unlike Dark Aelves, Blood Aelves have no guidelines against males using magic. As a WarSage he has sworn his life to the Jorkar family. He has been with the family for over 300 years and was/is the primary tutor and caregiver of Phox. He is never slow to give his counsel and often points out the young master's mistakes.
He also seeks to raise the Jokar name and his own status. He has hopes that one day his young master will not just be a Warlord, but even a New Blood Aelf King, with himself standing next to the throne.
Attachments
WarSeer Front.jpg
WarSeer Back.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So an update. I finished my last 4 Knights on Coldones, my Coldone Chariot, and my assassin proxy. Now all I have left is 10 more Darkshards, Ten Bleakswards, and 5 shades. Then my army is done for a bit. Next month I might add a CoB or another unit of Executioners. But I like how it has come along. I am much more proud of my army now and here is hoping that the don't let me down this Monday and I'm able to secure a victory for Druchii.net.
Attachments
Big Group All Painted.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So with the new sub Factions, I found that I was in need of some new models if I wanted to fulfill any the new Warhost. So I was looking at the Thrall Warhost cause it was want I was closest to. All I needed to complete it was a unit of Black Guard. So I was looking to buy a box of them, but then I was looking the all my bits and saw that I had the Black Guards heads and axes. So I continued to look at my bits and saw that I had about 12 corsairs bodies that I hadn't put together yet. So I kept looking at them and decided that I could do some converting. So I converted up some the Black Guard. I think that they turned out well. I'm not sure yet on how I'm going paint them, but I imagine they are going to turn out to be Red Guard. But tell me what you all think.
Attachments
Black Guard.jpg
Big Group.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think it makes them look a bit bulkier and less "static" than the actual models. It's an interesting mix :)
There's an unexpected match in theme between the cloak and the helmet, as if the helmet could be made to match the nautical theme.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze