[PLOG] Jorkar Warhost

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Phox532
Executioner

[PLOG] Jorkar Warhost

Post by Phox532 »

As a D&D I love making the backstory and exploring who my character is. When I started to get into Warhammer I saw this a cool way to create not just one character but a culture. So when planing my army I started from the ground up and began to build a culture for my army. First I wanted to create a mix of Sparta and Samurai Bushido culture. The Spartan culture is one reason why choose Dark Elves to began with. I also looked at Dark Elves as not chaotic evil but more Lawful Evil in D&D terms. I wanted a set of laws that governed their actions. So I created a law book, language, alphabet, customs, and even a map of Rakrn Ruzt. I know there is not much RP in a game, but even if I can have some fluff for me to think about as I paint.

My fluff:
Army Name: Jorkar Warhost

General: "Warboy" Phox Jorkarzul Fifth of his name, youngest son of Keria Jorkar, matriarch of Family Jorkar.

Philosophy: Heavy Cavalry, Strike hard and fast, rally then strike again. Followers of the Goddess Queen of the Black Lands, Serylia Rathis of Rakrn Ruzt.

Quotes:
"When you stare the God of Murder go down, don't blink, strike him own instead for he is not our God, The Queen Goddess will always protect you." Keria Jorkar
"The Law commands we do not retreat, so we will stay fight, until we are either victorious or dead. All are bond to the Law." Phox Jorkarzul, Battle of Witchgate

Colors:
Red, Black, and White.

Background:

The Family Jorkar are the Dark Elves from the Broken Lands, City of Rakrn Ruzt. Driven West by the Witch King, after a failed coup. They are one of 9 Nobel families in service of Serylia Rathis. Known then as Princess Serylia establish her throne on the Isle of Kold under its Black Mountain. It was here the Dark Elves found the Spring of Souls in a cave massive cave under the mountain. It was after drinking from the Spring of Souls that Princess died, only to come back to life 3 days later. Her skin had darken to a purple black and her eyes became red orbs. She then forced her most loyal Commanders to drink as well, of the 33 that did only 9 re-awoke. This Nine would became the first Noble houses of Rakrn Ruzt and Serylia Rathis would become their Goddess. the rest of her warhost was given her blood to drink, forever changing their bodies. After 2 years of hiding and running from the Witch King the Queen Goddess swore her revenge, and began training a new army deep in the Black Mountain. The also took the name Blood Elves. This was over 600 years ago.
The Jorkar Family is in charge of the 5th Ring of Rakrn Rutz. Here is where the great forges lay, creating the armor and plates for all the warhosts. It also where the Blood Academy, sits the ancient school of war. It is here where all Blood Elves study and train.
As the youngest Phox's WarHost is the smallest until he proves himself in battle. This test he must raid two years without coming back to the Black Mountain, if he returns he will be given a full WarHost and made a Full Warlord.

Below are my first models that I have painted. I'm not very good but hopping to improve.
Attachments
Darkshard spearman.jpg
DarkShard Bannerman.jpg
Darkshard.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Re: [PLOG] Jorkar Warhost

Post by Phox532 »

And here are my Cold One Knights.

I just got my first set of Executioners in the mail today. I hope to have them assemble by the weekend, and I hope to start painting them on Monday and Tuesday next week.
Attachments
Lance man.jpg
F. Standard Bearer.jpg
F. Coldone Knights.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

A group shot I found on my google photos.
Attachments
Group Shot.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So I have my Execs command built and here they are.

My plan with them is going to be Red Cloaks, with Black armor and red chain mail. That is the plan, but I do want to work more white into them than the rest of my army.
Attachments
Here is my full Command.
Here is my full Command.
This is pretty much standard, the only thing that I really changed was the back. I added the neck piece that is part of the black guard to my secondary command units, the Standard Bear and Drummer.
This is pretty much standard, the only thing that I really changed was the back. I added the neck piece that is part of the black guard to my secondary command units, the Standard Bear and Drummer.
I was wanting him to have his hand putting out, but I was unable to get it positioned correctly.
I was wanting him to have his hand putting out, but I was unable to get it positioned correctly.
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice start to your army Phox532.

I especially like the fluff you have created around it and the themes you are going with.

It's a bit hard to make out some of the details in your photos (they are a tad on the dark side) that said you are off to a good start. Have you tried using washes on your models, I think they would benefit quite a bit from it - it's amazing what a simple dark wash can do to add some extra depth to them.

Also the red is looking quite full on at the moment - I find a 60/30/10 rule is good to go with when choosing colours. That's where 60% is your prominent colour (like the red) and then you offset against it with a less dominate colour (30%) and a minor highlight 10%

For some other great painting tips check out the Useful Links page http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72453

I look forward to watching your army progress.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

I'll for sure check them out. As for washes I can not find any here in China, and it is not possible for me to go to Shanghai and Hong Kong to by them. I haven't been successful in making my own so far.
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

What paints have you been using? GW paints?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Try with some regular black ink, diluted with water. Shouldn't been too dificult to find some in China.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

@Cult I have been using just some normal acrylic paints that I found a a local art shop, nothing to fancy.

@calisson I have thought about using writing ink here, but I not sure how it is based and I'm afraid that I'll ruin my models. But I will try this weekend.
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I have thought about using writing ink here, but I not sure how it is based and I'm afraid that I'll ruin my models. But I will try this weekend.

It's always worth doing a test model first if you are experimenting with new paints/techniques.

If you can not buy good paints locally I would recommend looking online - there is nothing worse than painting with unsuitable paints.

You can get away with just a few base paints and learn to mix colours quite well. If I only had a few colours I would go for

- Black (for shading, making colours darker)
- White (for tinting, making colours lighter)
- Metal (for armour etc)
- Red, Blue and Yellow (primary colours, you can mix any colour you like from these three paints)
- Dark Wash
- Brown Wash
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So I based all my EXE white, I used dry bushing to base coat them. My past models I had base coated using "wet paint" which was leaving some clumps and filling in too many of the details. I wasn't happy with them. I am more happy with these, The details are more apparent.

This weekend I'm going to pick up some writers ink and try to give my models a wash.
Attachments
Exe's Base coated.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

If you have clumps while basecoating your models, thin your paint a bit. it'll help. And it'll be better coated than with drybrushing as a base I think.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Yea I have thinned out my paint a lot. But I wanted try dry brushing, because I watched a youtube video and the guy there was suggesting it, and I wanted to try simply to change up my technique. It's more of an experiment.
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So continuing with my experiment on my Executioners. The last units I have painted I painted in a batch of 10. Like a factory, just one after the other. This time I decided to try and take my time with each model and do it one model at a time. I started with my Executioners Leader. I also was thinking about what Cult said and after looking at my army I could see that red was very dominating. Though I do want red to be a primary color I want it to be a bit more subdue and more even in the Army. I was also not completely happy with the black in the Army. Finally I wanted to add white to the warhost. I have always wanted a tricolor system with Red, Black and White, but so far in much of my army white is not there. This was a good time to add white and break up my Armies color a bit.

I have to say that so far I am happier with the results. I am thinking that I may strip down my Darkshards and Cold One Kinghts and re paint them trying to add all three colors. This would also let me redo my Cold Ones whose color I've never been truly happy with.
Attachments
Side Shot, showing some of the white cloak
Side Shot, showing some of the white cloak
Front shot of the Exe. Leader
Front shot of the Exe. Leader
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So back again, YAY. :D

I have finished my Executioners full command. I'm spending about 2.5 hours per model, which a lot slower than when I first started. I really like the white in the unit so far. I also change the black from black black to a darker gray with some black shades. My banner-man is a bit darker than I really want him , but I thing once he is in a unit it is not going to be as noticeable. Still not perfect yet. but I think a far cry better than Darkshards who I admit that I rushed. I have most the day off today so I'm hoping to get one maybe two more painted today and I plan on painting a few tonight when I get home.
Attachments
Exe. Full Command Painted.jpg
Exe. Drummer.jpg
EXE. Bannerman.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Looking much better - I think your next step is to try some dark ink on the red to get some more detail into the models (even watered down black would do it)
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So I have started on the Executioner rank and file guys. I've got 4 painted up with three more to go for this first unit. I kept the same basic scheme that I have done so far, but I wanted to give the swords a bit of something. In my mind I'd like to think that my Exes have done some spell-weaving into the blades. So I added some green and some crimson to some gray and gave them a coat to try and bring out some magic. I think that I like the green more, the crimson may have came out too pink.
Attachments
Exe. G&R Swords.jpg
EXE. Green Sword.jpg
EXE. Red Sword.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Phox532 wrote:So I added some green and some crimson to some gray and gave them a coat to try and bring out some magic.

A technique I used on my Lokhir Fellheart is to paint the blade the base metal color, and then I layered a VERY watered down color on top of it. This will give the appearance of a metal blade with a hue to it that will make it stand apart from regular blades. Either way, keep it up!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So some history. I am a huge American football fan, but I live in China. this means that I if want to watch my team I have to wake up at 3:30 am to do so. We lost yesterday, but It also meant that I had some time to finish up some painting. So using that time and basically being up 21 hours after I went to work, I finished my executioners. And I have to say that I'm very proud of them. I am much more happy with how they turned out. I like the extra white in the army, and the toned amount of read. I like this so much that I have decided to strip all my other models and start a new. I already did this to the Cold One knights, and I should start painting them this week. My Dark Shards are in a 24hour soak of dettol and should be cleaned up this week.

Ideas: For my Cold Ones knights I'm going to use my dark gray armor I used for the armor here, with red mail again and white on the cloth. I am also thinking red for the head pieces. The Cold One themselves I want a more natural color. My white gray didn't really come out the way I wanted. I am thinking that I might play around with darker green ones. and see how that looks.
For the dark Shards I think that I want White Mail, Red Cloth, and dark gray armor. I am also going to try to detail the Crossbows more. I am thinking a more balance in color for sure, they were simply too red last time and I well admit that I rushed them.

I have order another 10 executioners and I hope they are here before the first of November. I think that I'm going to paint them up the same way. I was going to put them as a second unit with full command, but I think that I am just going to keep them as one solid unit of 20. I am also hopping to get some other models next week as well, some more cold ones, dark riders, and bleak swords.
Attachments
EXE. Full Painted Ranked.jpg
EXE Full Painted Line.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great effort - the colour scheme looks good.

The Cold One themselves I want a more natural color. My white gray didn't really come out the way I wanted. I am thinking that I might play around with darker green ones. and see how that looks.

With regards to the colours for the Cold Ones remember the old saying "Red and Green should never be seen" meaning that these two colours don't go well together. I would recommend using an olive grey green or steel blue colour for the cold ones - it might work better with your colour scheme.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Great effort - the colour scheme looks good.

The Cold One themselves I want a more natural color. My white gray didn't really come out the way I wanted. I am thinking that I might play around with darker green ones. and see how that looks.

With regards to the colours for the Cold Ones remember the old saying "Red and Green should never be seen" meaning that these two colours don't go well together. I would recommend using an olive grey green or steel blue colour for the cold ones - it might work better with your colour scheme.

You may be on to something here cult. I have to say that I am really torn on the cold ones. I have several ideas, but not quite look right in my mind's eye and I'm not 100% with my skill if I could even pull it off. My three ideas were dark gray, and crimson (scarlet is what I've been using on the army), Dark Green with Dark Gray, or a Red Crimson, Scarlet, Dark Gray. I know that I really want them toned down as the "stood" out too much last time and didn't really impress me. I felt that I didn't hit the details right and I really wanted to some scale patterns but couldn't put it off. I have better brushes this time around when it comes to painting them though so that show help.
My hold up my two lets say more Red ideas (DGry&Cr; DGry,Cr and Sc) is that I'm scared they are going to look comical and red will again be overbearing in the army. My other hold is I'm not sure who the focus is. Is the the Cold Ones or the Knights? My idea with the Dark Green and Dark Gray is that it could help tone down the red, but with my knights armor being more dark gray now and not red itself maybe this a silly fear.

I will look into a steel blue color. I may paint two test models for this and post them to see what you all say. Thanks for the advice.
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

some test models would be good
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I really wasn't much of a fan of your colour scheme, but then you added the white and now it looks really pretty awesome. Good stuff - keep it coming :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So I got my Cold Ones stripped, dried and based yesterday. I started on my first test model, it's not yet done, and I'm going to start on my second test model today. When they are done you'll get more pics.
Attachments
Coldone based.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

So here we are D-Day so to speak. Which one to a choose? Crimson Red or Cobalt Blue?

Crimson Red:
So I based my Cold Ones the same as I did the Executioners, a dry brush of Titanium White. Then after they dried I did second Dry Brush of Vermilion orange. After it dried I took my Crimson watered it down quite a bit and painted all the top scales. Then using Scarlet, Vermilion and some Lightened Crimson, I painted several scales one by one some more randomness to it. Then I lightened up the Scarlet up a lot an use it paint the Claws and back spikes. The armor and metal bit I painted with my Dark Gray armor blend, and the straps I painted scarlet and with some black outlines. The saddle I painted with a brown blend. And to finish all of it up I bought some black ink today and gave it a ink wash.
Cobalt Blue: Basically the same process as above, but change the colors up. I started with a gray that was almost the natural color of the model. The only difference here that I did a my second dry brush in Cobalt Blue on the top scales, and then used a watered down Cerulean Blue. The reason I uses it an not the Cobalt was I was afraid the cobalt was going to stand out to much compared to the gray. So I wanted another color on top to help with the blend a bit. Everything else was the same except I used Scarlet to outing the it's front plate of armor, and used cobalt and white blend for the Back spikes and Claws

Overall I am at a huge cross roads, simple because I really like how both have turned out. I probably need to paint up a rider, to see how it looks on them. I might do that tonight as I have some time, it will also give me time to test out a color scheme for the Knights as well. As I said I like both. but I am worried that the Crimson is too Red....again and the cobalt wont really so with rest of the army.

So what do you all think about my new Cold Ones, which one should I choose to do the rest like?
Attachments
Red.jpg
BLue.jpg
Red and Blue.jpg
Phox Jorkarzul