KOW army

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: KOW army

Post by Daeron »

Impressive! :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Woah sweet paints!

How much did that set you back?

How do they compare to GW paints - I have always wondered?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Paint set was £150.
They seem to be a little more fluid than GW paints so don't need watering down as much.
Pigment also goes on nicely. I will try and post a comparison after I have used them a little more.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

So I have pretty much finished the Tree Herder. Fairly happy with the results and loving the new paints. Think I need to increase my range of washes though.

Looking at the model in daylight rather than gone midnight, I can see a few areas to improve and touch up later today. Going to try and get going on a unit this evening.

Feedback most welcome before I add to the January painting contest, I know there are areas that can be improved upon.

Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

He looks great! I'm pretty sure I would walk past him in the woods and realise too late what has befallen me.

Are you into foliage and that sort? Animals, diferent things to perhaps give him more detail on the barren branches. That's probably all I could think of. :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Sabious wrote:He looks great! I'm pretty sure I would walk past him in the woods and realise too late what has befallen me.

Are you into foliage and that sort? Animals, diferent things to perhaps give him more detail on the barren branches. That's probably all I could think of. :)

Thanks.
I was trying to get hold of some sprites and random small woodland critters but as yet no luck. I might well come back and add a few as and when I find them.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of a good model range for these types of things I would be more appreciative.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Amboadine wrote:If anyone has any ideas or knows of a good model range for these types of things I would be more appreciative.

The Wood Elf Glade Guard box box came with different woodland spirits that may work.

Great job on the model though, it looks great.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I have decided now what my entry for next months painting contest will be.
A regiment of Hunters of the Wild. For those not familiar with Kings of War, these would equate to spirits of the forest like Dryads, nymphs and wisps.
I am waiting for some of the old citadel miniature familiars to arrive, these will be used for the first couple of ranks with these angry mini treemen the rear two ranks.

As the contest has not yet started, I am taking an opportunity this week to get my Dragonlord painted. This is based on a forgeworld Warpfire dragon with a older Dark elf hero on.
I will post better pictures when there is a little more colour on him.

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Nice! Thats a pretty sweet dragon lord.I have one I want to paint up but its going to be a few months :/ I have a unit of 10 Blackguard I'm submitting for next month.

I added clump foliage to the Raging Heroes Tree Warriors and it really made the models pop. Keep it up!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Malys the younger wrote:Nice! Thats a pretty sweet dragon lord.I have one I want to paint up but its going to be a few months :/ I have a unit of 10 Blackguard I'm submitting for next month.

I added clump foliage to the Raging Heroes Tree Warriors and it really made the models pop. Keep it up!

Interesting, do you have photos. I have twelve of them to paint up, so would be nice to see how much you added.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

That dragonlord looks very good! Looking forward to the painted result
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Aaah those two mini treemen I've drooled over for some time now. Money has kept me at bay :D

I have a small wooden army I made in november and december. I will try and get some shots of them for you next week or so :)
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Amboadine wrote:Interesting, do you have photos. I have twelve of them to paint up, so would be nice to see how much you added.

I used the Gale Force 9 Summer basing kit. That kit as two tones of clump foliage which breaks up the color scheme nicely and provides definition. The hands and feet were painted to a desired shade of brown then washed with Biel-Tan Green and highlighted with Warboss Green or something similar on the roots. I though this added a good pop to the model. H

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice. Thanks for sharing the details.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I have ordered some clump foliage and a few added extra basing and modelling parts.
Clumps of grass in differing sizes which are self adhesive which seems nice. A few extra forest bases some new sand and flock. Keeping the postman busy.

Probably won't arrive before the end of the month unfortunately, but I will go back and revisit the treeman and give him some coverings.

Going to add a green wash around the face and joints as well to hopefully give some more definition.

I didn't however take my daughters advice on the clump foliage, else I would have had a beautiful pink leaved cherry tree. Not really reflective of angry trees in my eyes.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

A liitle more colour added to reflect the mossy parts.
meanwhile the Dragonlord is getting there. More pictures later this evening.

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amazing work Amboadine! It really gives him some more depth and brings him to live. How did you do it? I especially dig the statue and the green snake? holding it
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lord Drakon wrote:Amazing work Amboadine! It really gives him some more depth and brings him to live. How did you do it? I especially dig the statue and the green snake? holding it

More a vine than a snake. But the green was just a few coats of watered down darkish green in the recess areas of the model, think thicker ink wash. Then drybrushing of a far brighter green.

The statue itself is simply layers of brighter and brighter greys drybrushed over black.

So as I mentioned, I have been making progress with my Dragonlord. A long way to go yet. First base coats down and an ink wash done so far. Leaving the ink to dry overnight now. Back on to him tomorrow evening to finish the bones and start highlighting.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

More progress on the dragon.
I have taken off the rider for the moment. Going to run it as a Flying, lightning bolt spitting, Beast of Nature.

Next up, back to my two Forest Wardens, before I start onto my first shambler hordes.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Next update. Tree Wardens coming along nicely.

Not sure on the green beard. Looks a little better in reality but I need to think about it and maybe lighten with a paler dry brush. Opinions?

Skullz

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

What about using some moss/foliage for the beard instead of painting it?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cultofkhaine wrote:What about using some moss/foliage for the beard instead of painting it?

That is the next option. The green follows some sculpted lines currently. Think I need to reassess in daylight and get a better picture too as it looks awful in the photo I posted.
One for tomorrow definitely.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Well the green bugged me so much I got back out of bed to try and fix.

A little better now.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

looks better, clearer pic as well :D

Still not sure it looks right though - what material is it meant to be, wood? the texture looks to similar to the bark perhaps a darker brown might look better.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cultofkhaine wrote:looks better, clearer pic as well :D

Still not sure it looks right though - what material is it meant to be, wood? the texture looks to similar to the bark perhaps a darker brown might look better.

Yep, meant to just be a different coloured wood. Definitely still a little uncertain. Think I might start building my next unit whilst thinking on this.