A paint calculator?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

A paint calculator?

Post by Daeron »

Theorycrafting needn't be limited to game mechanics. It can help our hobby time as well!
As I'm thinking about future tools to build for our community, one of the tools I'm considering is a paint calculator. Most colours can be defined by a unique colour code. Usually, paints are defined within the CMYK spectrum. But in theory, this needn't be limited to CMYK.
Now why is that relevant?

Because, using some maths, it should be possible to calculate some interesting things.
- Given a base colour, and a highlight colour, it should be possible to calculate an ideal mid tone colour. Or vice versa.
- Given a database of existing paint colours, whether it's GW's paint range or Vallejo's, it should be possible to compute ideal matches and transition paints
- Given some colour wheel, recommendations can be computed for contrasting colours, matching colours etc to help you make your painting scheme.

But we can take it a step further. While this may require quite a bit of development time, in theory, it's possible to compute paint mix recipes. Given a few colours you have available, and the goal/colour you wish to achieve, it should be possible to compute an ideal mix that approximates the desired colour.
When it comes to painting a model, this may not be the most interesting way to go about it, since mixing always tends to give slight variations and consume time.

However, when it comes to terrain building... I see a unique opportunity. IE: I found a paper and craft shop where they sell acrylic paints that are notably cheaper than those used for models. But they don't have the same paint range as, say, the paints I used for the bases of my models. I would still like to achieve a compatible result so what can I do?
In theory, it's possible to buy some cheap acrylics and have a caculator compute how I should mix them to obtain a comparable result. Of course, one may have to fine tune it a bit since actual results may differ, but it should give a great approximation.

SO. Let's sum that up. Given a core of formulas that allow colour computations, we should be able to:
- Index various paint ranges
- Compute compatible conversions between ranges
- Compute matching, contrasting or gradient colours
- Compute mixing recipes.

But, considering this is a whole new field of theory and technology that I'm not very familiar with, it could take some time. I might have to put other ideas on hold. So I'd like to gauge interest.
Would you see such a tool as useful? Would you use it frequently? How quickly would you like to have this?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Re: A paint calculator?

Post by Gnosis »

Hmm, it might have some uses, mainly in allowing people to discover other paint manufacturers besides GW ;) It would be cool to be able to put a great deal of paints from many manufacturers into a programme that would tell the less experienced painters (or the colour blind, as they certainly have a tough time at it) how to layer highlight without having to mix everything. But perhaps those people should look into the Foundry Paint System :)

But the main obstacle to this, in my opinion, is the process of converting a physical dab of paint, its dried state, its finish, into an accurate CMYK tone and shade and hue. GW certainly can't always get it right on their website. Also, some paints don't always retain the same formula - the old GW bestial brown wasn't nearly as orange-looking back in the day compared to just before it was discontinued.

So I'm on the fence about it. It's an admirable idea, but I doubt you'd be able to take it beyond the 'colour scheme painting wheel' which would be relatively easy to accomplish (interior decoration websites already have this, shouldn't be too hard to do one for the GW range). It's not something I would need to use, but if it helps budding painters, then godspeed!
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: A paint calculator?

Post by Daeron »

That's a really well thought reply, Gnosis. Thank you. I do have some ideas to overcome the challenges you mention, but I'll take a bit more time to think them through. I'll definitely get back to this.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze