NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Post by cultofkhaine »

@ Shadowspite after reading my comment on the topic for this month I realised just how funny that was. Not sure what I was thinking at the time :lol:

Perhaps everyone can paint a unit they are working on this month and then tell us all how it fits into the grand scheme of things for your current projects at the moment. What they like about, how they went about painting it etc
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Wow, down to the wire but here are my Shades for this month. These models took quite a bit of motivation to get through and I'm not sure what the block was. Either way, they follow the same scheme as the rest of my army except for the cloaks. The mantles were painted Abaddon Black, shaded with Nuln Oil, and highlighted with Eshen Grey. The cloak itself was painted Eshen Grey, shaded with Nuln Oil, and highlighted with Eshen Grey and Dawnstone Grey. These models were the first time I got to use the Soul Stone Blue technical paint and I'm generally happy with the effect. The Pallid Wych Flesh skin looks much starker in these photos than it does in regular light. I have 2-3 small areas to touch up from getting rubbed; I can't seal them yet because we're perpetually swimming in 90% humidity....ugh.

Additionally, I had some extra snow mix left over so I decided to tune up an old terrain piece I made years ago. I added the snow and filled in the rune with Khorne Red, picked out corners with 50/50 Khorne Red/Model Color White, then a final highlight with pure white. Afterwards I filled it in with Blood for the Blood God to tone it all down.

As always I look forward to your feedback.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Those are some slick bastards! Well done! I think they have a great look to them.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They have come out really nice Malys - I especially like the skin tone on the faces!

Those bits work well in a DE setting.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Sabious/Cult - Thanks! I have a little bit of tidying up to do on them but once I got the base coat down the rest went pretty quick.

I think for this month I'm going to finish my Cold One Knights. You can see the riders on my PLOG; I just haven't finished the mounts themselves. I've gotten five more knights since then so I guess it's time to get them finished. Sign me up for five knights and 10 Cold Ones! :D

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Well Malys, your excellent converted Shades have helped make up my mind about what to paint for the challenge this month. I'm going to work on some of the Shades I kitbashed back in June. I have 15 of them, so let's see how many I can get painted before I have to disappear off to France on the 21st... :D

They're my favourite models right now because (1) they're not just stock models but took quite a bit of cutting, gluing and greenstuffing, and (2) it's going to be an interesting challenge to keep their colour scheme in keeping with the rest of my (rather colourful) DE army while also making them look like they could conceivably sneak about in the dark.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Those look pretty awesome! I like the "non-uniform" look they have which will definitely make them stand out as shades on the table. The biggest challenge I had were the cloaks, because I didnt want them to look exactly like everything else in the army because as you said, they are supposed to "look like they could conceivably sneak about in the dark" and I didnt want them to just look like another line unit, but I wanted to keep the blue to at least look coherent with the rest of the force...curse you Shades! Either way, great looking models, I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

When building them, the idea bouncing around inside my skull was that they'd be a hardbitten bunch of veteran skirmishers, like an evil version of Sharpe's Rifles from the Bernard Cornwell novels. They've been at war for so long that they've lost a lot of their original kit and have taken equipment (and trophies) from the dead. So a couple have DE City Guard helmets. Several have Corsair crossbow pistols. One wears a Witch Elf tiara. Their leader has a HE officer's longsword, and so on. I imagine that any Druchii noble who tries to make them give up their nonstandard kit or put them into some sort of proper uniform suffers a nasty accident.

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Nailed it!

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Thanks! The first batch of 5 are almost finished now. Just need to highlight the black parts, put a blue glaze on the blades, and then add some grass tufts to the bases.

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Well, that's my part of the challenge completed for this month! Ten Shades fully painted and based. I'll have to paint the remaining five when I get back to the UK in November.

More pics on my PLOG.

Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Never been able to paint black. Well done! They have a great look to them.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

The one on the left is my favourite. They look great as a unit - well done.

I'm back to painting my last batch of 10 Corsairs.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Thanks, guys!

I think the one on the left is my favourite, too. I reckon the others just call her 'Knives', and she's the one who gets sent in ahead to silently slit the throats of enemy sentries. She doesn't say much, other than to occasionally interject sarcastic comments. She likes unsettling her companions by suddenly appearing right behind them while they're on watch because, no matter how alert they are, she's quiet enough to do that.

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Awesome work!!

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Very nice shades Shadowspite and Malys the Younger!
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Soo.. another new year is coming up. Shall we breathe some flame into this one again? :)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

LOL - it's not the new year yet - your keen!

This thread did go really well this year I think we made it half way before most lost interest in it.

I definitely think we do another one for the coming year - it gives me motivation to paint.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

I'm up for it, despite obviously losing steam around August or so....Painting the Cold Ones for my knights was killing me....

Id recommend we start off slow again, like a character or something and then building back up. Any other opinions?

Also, with the direction of the new site, I assume it's open to all the inferior other elf armies as well? This could set me to finally paint my girlfriends Wood Elves as well...

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Malys the younger wrote:Also, with the direction of the new site, I assume it's open to all the inferior other elf armies as well? This could set me to finally paint my girlfriends Wood Elves as well...

I'll probably be painting some wood elf minis next as well. Although they're actually going to be desert-dwelling (a)elves for my AoS Wanderers firqa.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

New paint challenge for 2017 posted - time to get involved!

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77644
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Count me in!