NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Post by Amboadine »

Well done on even getting that thing together. They were a nightmare.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Severed head is a great idea.

And next month monster month? Heh, seeing all the kharibdyss' and hydras, I'll follow suit! Have one of each semi painted. Month of the many heads
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Finished this months challenge ahead of time. There are more pics on my plog page.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lovely work and well done on finishing early. Surely time to get something more done then :)
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Nice work, Cultofkhaine and Sabious! Is anybody else still working on a monster for this month?

Here's my finished Kharibdyss:

More photos here: LINK

Does anybody have any ideas for next month? I have a bunch of Mantic Succubi to convert into female Marauders for my Slaanesh Mortals army. So, perhaps the theme could be "non-GW figs converted and painted to use in AoS/WHFB"?

BTW, I know Mantic has a (generally well-deserved) bad reputation for quality, but these Succubi are easily as good as GW plastics. Better in some ways as they're properly multipart and poseable, unlike most of GW's more recent output. And a lot cheaper than GW, of course. :P
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for posting Shadowspite and nice K Beast.

What about a kit bash month - paint some models that have been converted from bits/other suppliers?
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

My Chaos BB team is coming along. I have a 4 day weekend this coming weekend, so I intend to get them done then. If I don't get stuck working late today, I'll see if I can post a few work in progress pics.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

What about a kit bash month - paint some models that have been converted from bits/other suppliers?

I'm game, I have a few models that meet this criteria.

My kharibdyss is getting based at the moment so It'll be up this week as well as my May goal...

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

First things first, here are my Dark Shards for May. I had them painted in time but didn't have access to my basing materials.

Paint recipe is the same as other models in my army.

Now for June, here is my Kharibdyss. This was actually the second monster I painted this month. The model kind of intimidated me anyway and I knew that I wanted to use it as the first project for my airbrush so that didn't help. If it wasn't for this challenge there's no telling when I may have gotten around to painting it. I found a "dead fish" looking scheme online that I wanted to emulate. I figured that this was the best opportunity to paint something that doesn't necessarily look like everything else on the table and to make it really stand out. Someone on this forum (I'm thinking maybe SaintofM a while back) was talking about bioluminescence and I thought that would be an interesting idea for the kharibdyss, particularly its tentacles, so I tried some object source lighting inside each of them. I can imagine this guy hanging out in some deep murky cave with its tentacles poised to strike as curious prey. I think the OSL look on the back of the tentacle looks a little harsh, I think I would have been better off glazing it instead. I added some plexiglass pieces to the base to see if they would look like small frozen puddles. Also, I'm torn on whether to use Blood for the Blood God on it, what do you folks think? Leave it as is or bloody it up?

Primed white
Belly: Airbrushed Reaper Master Series Misty Grey, Nuln Oil, Dry brushed Dawnstone, Administratum Grey, Reaper MSP White
Scales: Airbrushed Reaper MSP Black, Spray highlight with Reaper Clotted Red, Nuln Oil, Dry brushed with Clotted Red
Spines/Fins: Clotted Red, Nuln Oil, Dry brushed Troll Slayer Orange, Fire Dragon Bright, Flash Gitz Yellow
Claws: Karak Stone, Agrax Earthshade, highlight Karak Stone
Tongue: Khorne Red, Nuln Oil, highlight Khorne Red
Tentacle lighting: Ice blue, 50/50 Ice Blue/White, White wash

The elves are the same as the rest of my army other than the vests:
Vests: Caliban Green, Loren Green, Athonian Camoshade, Highlight Loren Green, Highlight Warboss Green.

Finally, a Giant for my Beastmen. He's the first monster I painted this month. Not Dark Elf, I know, but if you look close you can see the sea dragon cloaks he's using for protection... I added greenstuff fur to his belly, back, and hooves. I haven't done anything really this ambitious with green stuff so I'm open to feedback.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice mini's Malys - I would bloody the K beast up!

The colours on the K beast look great, the colour scheme fits well with the rest of the army. The yellow, brown on the fins looks good.

The fur on the giant came out good as well! What are you working on next month?
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Cultofkhaine wrote:Nice mini's Malys - I would bloody the K beast up!

The colours on the K beast look great, the colour scheme fits well with the rest of the army. The yellow, brown on the fins looks good.

The fur on the giant came out good as well! What are you working on next month?

Thanks!

If we are going with the kitbash/conversion theme I have a Malekith on foot made from Dark Elf/Dark Eldar parts, some Shades made from Corsair, Dark Eldar, and Wood Elf bits, a Pegasus master made from a Bretonnian pegasus knight, and a Pegasus sorceress made from a Dark Steed and an old mounted sorceress model...so at least one of those :P

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes I think we go with Kitbash for July! Let's see something different than the stock standard models. If you don't have anything made up yet it's time to raid the bits box!
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Good work, Malys. I love the bioluminescence effect on your Kharibdyss. I think it could stand to have some more OSL on the mandibles of the tentacles to draw attention to the glow, as most people probably won't look inside the 'mouths' of the tentacles otherwise. Personally, I would also paint the inside of the main head's tongue the same glowy blue.

The dead fish colour scheme is cool, too. I kinda wish I'd done mine a bit more like that, rather than brightly coloured.

I think the fur on the giant came out well overall, though it looks like it could have done with a bit more sculpting on his back - I can see a few 'flat' bits. When sculpting fur or hair, try to ensure you don't leave any incision out on its own with unsculpted greenstuff all around it. Each incision should meet up with its neighbours, so that you are left with the appearance of individual locks or hanks of hair. Try moving the tip of the sculpting tool in shallow 'S' shapes rather than just cutting straight lines.

Here's how not to do it:

And here is how to get a realistic hair or fur effect:

Is that helpful?

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

@Shadowspite - Thanks for the feedback! I tried to hit up the backs of some of the fangs but I think they are so small the effect gets lost quick. That's a good call on painting the main mouth. I haven't sealed it yet because of the weather so I have time to think it over. I'll keep you posted :)
I think your k-beast came out great; it definitely draws the eye to it. I think on a model like this the belly is pretty key. You can do the scales however you want but if the belly doesn't look good it'll throw it off all together. You nailed it though!
I see what you're saying about the fur, I appreciate the advice. Fortunately I have plenty more beastmen I can perfect my technique on! I'm trying to experiment more with greenstuff. I think my next project will be making a cape for my Malekith conversion, but I'll probably do some test runs on a spare model first.

Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Wait.. what do you mean it's not June anymore?

Hydra and Kharibdyss!

Had a lot of fun remaking my old metal hydra and converting a beastmaster so bold to steer the monster by hand and chain. My own Steve Irwin.

For kitbashing.. I've got just the thing!

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

That kharibdyss looks great! That scheme fits it really well! The bases look really good as well.
The dryad centaurs look really cool, I'm looking forward to seeing them painted up.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Wow Sabious they look awesome (nice gritty colour scheme and the bases look great) also looking forward to seeing your conversions.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

My kit bashed Shades made from Wildwood Rangers, Corsairs, and Dark Eldar bits.

direweasel

Post by direweasel »

OK, I'm at about 90% with my Chaos BB Team. I still need to number them, base them, a little touch up work, and the eyes.

Since it's a whole team, I took several pics, so instead of posting them directly, I'll link to the photobucket slideshow. But for a teaser, I'll put the minotaur here directly.

Highly interested in constructive criticism, in fact that's why I am posting pics before I'm done. There is still time to make adjustments if necessary. So PLEASE do so.

Thanks again to this wonderful website, I used the tip for purple wash over the brass armor, I love the look. Will probably highlight up the details a little more here and there, but want to be careful not to overdo it.

Some other notes to understand what's going on a little:

I was trying for a lobster claw look with the bright red. It is supposed to stand out and be totally incongruous because it's a mutation, but if you think it's too much, I'll hear that. Also I'd like to highlight up to pink on the actual claw "teeth" but my first attempt at that looked horrible so I painted over it. Any tips there would be welcome.

The shields will be used as a turn markers, score marker, and reroll counters. I could put them on round bases like the rest of the team, if you think it would look better. Not sure if it would or not.

The banner carrier will be my cheerleader. I might even get brave and try to put some freehand on there. The team name is "Butt-Herd Khorne", so BHK or BK maybe?

The event I need these guys for is a little less than 2 weeks away (16th and 17th), so I have time to make some adjustments.

Bases? I am considering a snow base, or a standard football grass turf base with some spots of astrongranite interspersed in. Thoughts?

Slideshow is here:

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Tad_Wesley/slideshow/Chaos%20BB%20Team/WIP%20July%204%202016

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by direweasel on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@direweasel I think you need some more detail on the claw. Take a look at the image below - it's a great opportunity to get some nice details on it. Perhaps some sharp highlights of bright orange and a few white points on it will bring it out. At the moment its looking flat IMO.

@Mylas digging the shades

It looks like its going to be an exciting month this month everyone is working on some interesting projects.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Thank you. I will try again. As I said, my first attempt to highlight that thing looked awful. I'll see what I can do with "Take 2".
Last edited by direweasel on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

How is everyone's kit bash going this month?

Does anyone have any progress to report?

I have been working on some assassins from my bits box - should have some photos soon.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

I'm still basecoating my shades at the moment. This is the last week of my college classes so I've been busy with papers. Starting this weekend I'll be able to buckle down on the important stuff ;)

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

The eight Marauder girls I'm doing for this are undercoated and their bases are mostly done (sand -> black ink -> drybrush GW Dark Reaper -> drybrush Vallejo Shadow Grey -> paint all the skulls and other details). I'm hoping to get at least the fur, armour and skin finished today.

Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

I'm finishing painting the Dryad Centaurs, except I began wondering if they should have been different. Think I'll finish them as first thought and change it later perhaps.